This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

First timer. Best version of the X360 to buy in your opinion?

#1WeatyTooPosted 10/30/2013 2:51:13 AM
As the topic title says. I have 225$ on Amazon and have been wanting to finally pick up on Xbox 360 but I can't decide on which version to go with. Heard a lot of red rings and all that. The one with only 4 gigs seems like you wouldn't be able to hold many games? Can you buy and attach a bigger hard drive? Was looking at the 120 GB 'Elite' too. I want to defer to the wisdom of you Xbox gamers who have been at it for a while, what would you go with if you were in my shoes?
---
A still more glorious dawn awaits. Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise. A morning filled with 400 billion suns.. "The rising of the milky way"
#2656stoogePosted 10/30/2013 3:03:51 AM
Make sure to grab a slim version. I wouldn't even bother with the elite. They reduced the chances of them getting a RRoD, but I know a bunch of people that still got one.
The slim version is far more reliable, that said, don't get the latest version that looks like the new Xbox One. It's basically the same hardware but they removed a few USB slots and the optical input.

As for hard drives, you can buy and instal a new one in a few seconds. They just click right into place. The biggest one you can get is (I think) 320gig, but 250 gig isn't a bad size.
Buying a HDD and installing all your games will improve their performance and save wear and tear on your DVD drive.

There are also a few games out now that have a second disc that requires you instal it for HD textures. Battle Field does this and so does GTAV. You won't be able to do this with only the 4gig of space.

Another solution though, is to buy a USB stick and use that to instal games. I think you can use ones as large as 16 gig.

One last tip: don't buy the recharge cable and battery pack for your controller. They barely last a year and drain incredibly fast. Get some rechargeable AA batteries and they can last you 2 weeks of gaming. The official pack used to last me two days before it needed charging, and I've been through around 5.
---
*changed my mind. The Last of Us is amazing!*
For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died.
#3singhellotakuPosted 10/30/2013 3:05:49 AM
I'd pony up for the 250gb slim, especially because it tends to come with forza 4 and skyrim or halo 4.

The 4gb slim is fine though if you you don't plan to buy dlc or any xbla games as those both tend to run between 0.5 to 2 gb and full games tend to be about 6gb, it would take a hell of a lot of saves and updates to fill 4gb though.

The elite is just the old style xbox with an hdmi port added and a bigger (120gb) hard drive as well as a new chipset that is less likely to rrod than the original models.

Keep in mind the older fat 360's don't usually have hdmi ports at all and require component, not that that really matters as most 360 games are only 720p anyway and component handles that fine.
#4singhellotakuPosted 10/30/2013 3:07:28 AM
I don't know if its just me, but the slim does seem to have a much slower hard drive than the others, not a huge deal but I got a lot of access lag when pulling up my profile, achievement lists, etc. that I don't see on our old fat 360.
#5656stoogePosted 10/30/2013 3:08:25 AM
singhellotaku posted...
I don't know if its just me, but the slim does seem to have a much slower hard drive than the others, not a huge deal but I got a lot of access lag when pulling up my profile, achievement lists, etc. that I don't see on our old fat 360.

I think that has to so with the new updates to the dash. Mine was fast as anything until the most recent one, and now it takes a minute just load from the start up screen.
---
*changed my mind. The Last of Us is amazing!*
For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died.
#6foodeater4Posted 10/30/2013 8:38:14 AM
TC, I'd probably pony up an extra $25 and get the 250 GB model. I think theres a couple versions, one with forza and skyrim and another with halo 4 and tomb raider. there maybe some older bundles floating around too with a slim still.

I would definatly get a hard drive. Doing full installs of games is really nice. Keeps system nice quiet and cool, especially on older models. ITs graet to have tons of room for DLC, arcade games or even just digital purchase. Wether you like digital or not, if a game you want is on sale for $5 bucks, you might not be able to resist one time.
#7gldooriiPosted 10/30/2013 9:09:22 AM
Just wait until Black Friday
---
PSN - gldoorii
Live - xgldooriix
#8LandonioPosted 10/30/2013 10:27:42 AM
Slim
---
#1 Alabama Crimson Tide: 8-0 (5-0)
Now Playing: RE4, Dead Rising, FF13, Halo 3, Oblivion: GOTY, GTA4, GRAW, BlOps2 (ugh)
#9BuyersRemorse55Posted 10/30/2013 10:40:06 AM
lol crimson tide

cant wait for a couple more years when they get pwned by the ncca and have to vacate wins and titles cuz they are prolly paying half their players and recruiting illegally plus other benefits
#10beautifuldreamsPosted 10/30/2013 10:40:08 AM
250gb Slim or E (E model has no optical audio)
there are a bunch of bundles for $250 with a free $50 giftcard at amazon, bestbuy, etc.
E - Halo 4 & Tomb Raider
S - Darksiders 2 & Batman: Arkham City
S - Skyrim & Forza 4 Essentials

<u>do not get a kinect</u>
---
nyuuuuuuuuu~