This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is L.A noire as good as RDR?

#21shawnmckPosted 11/2/2013 11:07:42 AM(edited)
Bs-KILL posted...
I just got RDR.. and damn its good :)
(I know Im late, I just got back to gaming with my PSV & 360 on last years december since I stopped at 6th gen)

for those who played L.A noire.
Is it good?

Im planning on having dead island as well.
Is dead island as good as skyrim?

Theres heaps of games on "clearance" sale here in NZ
Recommend me some "must own" games.. thanks:)

Mostly Action adventure, WRPG, Survival horror and HnS
Fighting(no need for this one since I own most of it)

^ No, LA Noire is not as good as RDR...but it's a decent game. But it's nowhere near as open ended, and the game follows a set pattern. However, it can be somewhat fun because the whole investigative role is something different. But LA Noire does get very repetitive.
But RDR is much better.

As for Dead Island & Skyrim...
Apples & Oranges. They are almost nothing alike.
With that said, I personally really liked Dead Island much more than Skyrim, but that's just because I love zombie games and I feel that Dead Island is one of the best zombie games out there, plus Skyrim just isn't my thing.
With that said, Skyrim has a lot more to offer and is much more open-ended.
Dead Island is actually more like Borderlands, but with an emphasis on melee weapons (although it does have guns), and it has zombies.

Other games I would recommend ...

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (WRPG)
Metro 2033 or Metro: Last Light (FPS/survival-horror)
Dead Space 1-2 (survival-horror)
Tomb Raider (Action-Adventure)
#22Seanie1200Posted 11/2/2013 11:53:21 AM
It's not anywhere near. The open world is nothing like an open world and the mechanic that is supposed to make the game i.e. facial expressions giving things away doesn't work well enough imo.

I loved LA Noire at first but it got very samey very quickly. That and there were things like certain clues only popping up if you spoke to certain people. I remember one case where I searched an alley for hours looking for a clue, went and spoke to someone and all of a sudden a knife appeared in a dustbin I had searched about 50 times.

LA Noire is good but RDR is infinitely better.
#23darkharePosted 11/2/2013 7:27:22 PM
Is L.A noire as good as RDR?

i think la noire is as good as rdr, but its not similar.
---
The future of Console Gaming, are the gamers. vote with your $!
#24Bs-KILL(Topic Creator)Posted 11/2/2013 8:11:40 PM
shawnmck posted...

I havent seen DD: Dark Arisen at the clearance store though Iv'e seen the original "Dragons Dogma" though. whats the difference?

It seems L.A noire was bought. :(
yeah I'll be looking for Tomb Raider tomorrow ,

So far I bought these early this morning..
Left 4 Dead 2
Tales of Vesperia(I just bought this on a whim)
AC3(I had this game before, I gave it another go/chance)
Dead Island

I saw Ninja Gaiden 3, Doom 3BFG edition, Dead space 3,Dishonored & hitman absolution.
How are these games? Ive heard lots of badstuff on Ninja gaiden 3.

Is it ok to skip dead space 1 & 2 and just play its 3rd game?

Im sorry for the heaps of questions. thanks..
---
Now Re/Playing: KZ:M(PSV), U:GA(PSV), AC4: Black Flag(360), Halo 4(360), Red Dead Redemption GOTY (360), AC3(360)
SF-Ken, MK-Smoke
#25shawnmckPosted 11/2/2013 8:42:58 PM(edited)
Bs-KILL posted...
shawnmck posted...

I havent seen DD: Dark Arisen at the clearance store though Iv'e seen the original "Dragons Dogma" though. whats the difference?

It seems L.A noire was bought. :(
yeah I'll be looking for Tomb Raider tomorrow ,

So far I bought these early this morning..
Left 4 Dead 2
Tales of Vesperia(I just bought this on a whim)
AC3(I had this game before, I gave it another go/chance)
Dead Island

I saw Ninja Gaiden 3, Doom 3BFG edition, Dead space 3,Dishonored & hitman absolution.
How are these games? Ive heard lots of badstuff on Ninja gaiden 3.

Is it ok to skip dead space 1 & 2 and just play its 3rd game?

Im sorry for the heaps of questions. thanks..

^ No problem with all the questions...I like to be of help, but please keep in mind that all this is just my opinion, and it may or may not mirror your own.
With that said...

Dragon's Dogma is the original version of the game. It is basically the same thing as the Dark Arisen version, except that the D.A. version has extra content, such as a new island dungeon to explore. Although the new island dungeons are very difficult.
I would recommend checking out gameplay footage of Dragon's Dogma (or any game for that matter) from youtube to make sure it is something that appeals to you or not.
It starts out a bit slow, but eventually picks up, and has a lot to offer. It's an open-world Action-RPG, so I thought I would mention it.

LA Noire is still a decent game...however it isn't as open-ended as RDR, which is why some people don't like it. But it does have it's good moments, and is still a quality title.
I personally found it a little lacking, but still a decent game.

Left 4 Dead 2 is also a good game, but it gets a bit repetitive, because you are doing the exact same thing over and over. Basically get from point A to point B, and survive all the spawning hoards of zombies...rinse & repeat.
Still, its a fun game...but not for everyone.

I personally loved Dead Island, as it is like Borderlands, but with an emphasis on melee weapons (although it has guns), and the combat is pretty good. Plus it has zombies.

I have not played Tales of Vesparia, Ninja Gaiden 3, AC3, or Dishonored...so I cannot comment on them.

I have Doom 3, and I liked it as well. It's an old school FPS with a lot of creepy atmosphere, but it is dated, and some just don't like it's old-school nature of finding key-cards to unlock doors, shoot a bunch of enemies, rinse & repeat until you fight a boss monster....and rinse & repeat until you beat the game.
It has a lot of content though, and will keep you busy.
But like I said, it's a bit dated. It's appeal is with dark & creepy levels & monsters.

I also really like Hitman: Absolution, as it offers a variety of ways of getting through levels, which adds to the replay.
Some fans of the older previous Hitman titles hate it, but I've played the previous Hitman games, and I hated them but like Absolution.
So I guess it just depends on your preferences...you will either like it or hate it.

Dead Space 3 takes off where a little after the events of DS 1 & 2, so the story will not make as much sense to you having not played 1 or 2.
You can still do it, but it makes the story less, and you will miss much of the dialogue & story, because you will lack the background information.
I personally recommend playing them in order.

Again, as with any game recommendations, its best to go to youtube to check out gameplay footage to see if the game is appealing to you are not.
Everyone has differing tastes.
#26Bs-KILL(Topic Creator)Posted 11/2/2013 9:27:09 PM
^^Thanks for the reply

I played a little bit of Doom/final Doom & Doom 2 on snes/pc. Doom 3 is the only game I skipped since I didnt own the original xbox on 6th gen. (only had ps2)

Yeah. I might get Dragons Dogma tomorrow along with dead space 1 & 2, Hitman Absolution and Doom3 BFG..
I think these games can keep me busy..

Im also thinking on getting duke Nukem Forever for 5$.
I saw the "balls of steel edition" (the one with the half body duke figurine)
But the reviews might prevent me on getting this game..

I did enjoy its previous games on ps1 though such as total meltdown, land of the babes & Time to kill..
---
Now Re/Playing: KZ:M(PSV), U:GA(PSV), AC4: Black Flag(360), Halo 4(360), Red Dead Redemption GOTY (360), AC3(360)
SF-Ken, MK-Smoke
#27Just_The_TipPosted 11/3/2013 11:21:49 AM
Way different game, very good in its own right but I preferred RDR.
---
We got away with three picks, two fumbles, five turnovers, Sherman said. We got away with a 29-3 victory, it looked like. Thats the way it looked to me.