This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about deleting profile and items

#1LoneSRHPosted 11/10/2013 7:22:56 PM
A previous poster "baueris24" posted this exact question on a now archived board but he never had it answered. In reading the answers to his question I think I became even more irritable than it seemed he did. However, here goes. In my case, I actually have deleted a profile but not the game saves or achievements. It was my son's profile and he's really upset that it was his favorite profile. In my defense, he had four on there so I deleted the one that it looked like he played the least. It had the least amount of data on it. To my surprise, this was his most recent profile and it had everything that he was currently working on, on it. I didn't delete any of his data and IT IS NOT AN XBOX LIVE ACCOUNT. I REPEAT, IT IS NOT AN XBOX LIVE ACCOUNT so I cannot recover it by an email address. I just want to know how to access the data again so he can use it on one of his other profiles.

As I was reading the other guy's post, I figured I could just create a new profile and name it the exact same thing. I will try this and post back to see if I can at least answer baueris24's question if it works.
#2infinitexxPosted 11/10/2013 7:30:31 PM
Profiles are identified by an ID you cannot see without using third party software, not the name. Unless that ID is generated based on the name and the console info with no random factor (which I don't think it is), that won't work.

The only recourse that I can think of would involve said third party software, which tends to get me modded if I mention it.
---
You can't make an omelette without crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning.
#3LoneSRH(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2013 7:55:04 PM
Creating a new profile with the exact same name doesn't work. Still says unknown profile next to the data in the games list under system>Storage>Games and Apps>Minecraft.
#4LoneSRH(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2013 7:59:23 PM
Thanks for the response, Infinite. Knowing that there is a third party software out there may be enough info to find it. I'm pretty proficient with google. My only question is, would knowing the ID number even help me create a profile with the same ID number? Is there anything out there that facilitates this sort of thing? Or, is there a less warranty voiding route?
#5StucklnMyPantsPosted 11/10/2013 9:49:10 PM
I've used a program called Xtaf to do this very thing many years ago. It basically let's you browse through all of the directories on your hard drive (provided that you can connect in to your PC). A 360 formatted USB stick will likely work too, but I've never tried it since USB sticks weren't allowed for usage when I used this program.

From what I remember, the 360 divides the saves according to profiles, so it was fairly easy to move around stuff. What you end up doing is to take the save from one game on one profile, and drop it in the same game directory on another profile.

The program is free, and you should be able to find it with a quick Google search of "xbox 360 xtaf". Not sure what version they are up to now, but I'm pretty sure I used v44. The program wasn't too hard to fiddle around with, even without knowing anything about. The hardest part is identifying specific profiles since from what I remember, they are just a string of letters and numbers, not the actual name of the profile.

Hopefully, you can get it sorted. I'll try to help as best as I can if you have any questions.
#6RenamonPosted 11/10/2013 9:49:40 PM
I don't think it's warranty voiding. It's just against the XBL TOS, but since the account is an offline only profile, then MS can't ban the account. Although, if you do have any XBL accounts on the console, MS may detect the profile/game save hacking and ban the XBL accounts/console. Is the console connected to the internet at all?
---
Movies that I believe will come true: Wall-E, Idiocracy
Halo 1 > all other Halo games
#7RenamonPosted 11/10/2013 9:55:39 PM
Oh, and I'm not going to quote it because I don't want modded, but something that StucklnMyPants mentioned reminded me of a possible legit way of getting the save to another profile. If you go to the storage device and move or copy the game save to a different storage device or maybe the same storage device, while signed in to another profile, the game save may change owners to the signed in profile. I can't remember the specifics, so try out a few combinations.

Keep in mind though, that no matter how you do it, lots of games save data inside the profile itself, in addition to a game save file. So even if you did get the game save to another profile, or hack a profile to get the same ID, anything saved inside the profile will be lost, which may cause issues with the game. That includes achievements too.
---
#8RenamonPosted 11/10/2013 10:00:50 PM
Just thought of another way ... data recovery software. If the file system of the xbox 360 works in a similar way to FAT/NTFS, the data may still be on the hard drive if it hasn't been overwritten, you just have to edit the MFT to include the pointer to the file again.
---
#9StucklnMyPantsPosted 11/10/2013 10:16:10 PM
Renamon posted...
Just thought of another way ... data recovery software. If the file system of the xbox 360 works in a similar way to FAT/NTFS, the data may still be on the hard drive if it hasn't been overwritten, you just have to edit the MFT to include the pointer to the file again.

That's funny that you mention that, because I've used the aforementioned program to also recover a deleted save (which it actually managed to do btw). I'm not sure if a profile could be recovered as well, but I think it would be worth looking into.

Also, I wouldn't think mentioning the name of a file explorer would be grounds for moderation. I mean, all it is is a program to view files that are already on your hard drive. That's it.

Anyways, to LoneSRH, after a quick Google search, I found a few more programs that are all file explorers (including tutorials!) and were designed specifically for viewing 360 hard drives so they're pretty easy to find.
#10LoneSRH(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 6:00:37 AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I don't have time this morning but I will check this stuff out and let you know how it goes. Again thanks everyone