This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can I reconfigure a flash drive and still use it for 360 game storage?

#1TurnbullACPosted 11/12/2013 4:12:44 PM
I configured a 16gb usb to use 9.5gb for the 360. That will be plenty since I will only need 8-point-something for the GTA V Install Disc. But if I ever wanted to delete that formatted 9.5gb and reformat it to use the entire capacity of the usb, a message in the 360 menu states that the usb will not be able to be used for 360 storage after deletion. Is there a way around that by plugging the usb into a PC and reformatting from there? If not, I may exchange it at the store.
#2ShuraYukihimePosted 11/12/2013 4:15:32 PM
You can always wipe the drive and format it again for storage.
---
I'm searching the city for sci fi wasabi.
#3TurnbullAC(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2013 4:20:00 PM
ShuraYukihime posted...
You can always wipe the drive and format it again for storage.

Thank you. Is that something I would have to do on my PC and would I still be able to use the drive for 360 game storage after wiping it? It's weird that the 360 would tell me I couldn't.
#4TurnbullAC(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2013 4:33:45 PM
Sorry I wasn't clear before. I might want to use the entire usb for PLAYING a game AFTER wiping it clean, not just for storage. For example with GTA V, my 360 will be reading from the usb as I play. If I wipe it clean, would I still be able to have use the it for playing games?
#5Super CreaturesPosted 11/12/2013 4:38:12 PM
What it is telling you is that you won't be able to use it for Xbox 360 storage unless you configure it as an MU again.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#6TurnbullAC(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2013 4:44:28 PM
I'm new at using usb drives. Would you please explain what an MU is and how to configure a usb drive as such?
#7TheBlueStigPosted 11/12/2013 4:55:47 PM
TurnbullAC posted...
I'm new at using usb drives. Would you please explain what an MU is and how to configure a usb drive as such?

MU = Memory Unit.

If you're going to use a USB drive for GTA-5 the read speeds need to be at least 15MB/sec or you might experience problems.
---
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/gallery.aspx?gamertag=TheBlueStig
My Forza 4 gallery, all paintjobs available for purchase on my storefront.
#8ShuraYukihimePosted 11/12/2013 6:01:00 PM
TurnbullAC posted...

MU means "memory unit".

The process you go through to format the drive the first time should be available again in case you want to devote more space to it. However doing that would in effect wipe the drive.

It's been so long since I formatted one on the 360 it's hard to recall.
---
I'm searching the city for sci fi wasabi.
#9Super CreaturesPosted 11/12/2013 6:04:21 PM
I wish people would quit calling it formatting the flash drive.

Nothing involved in the process has anything to do with formatting the drive, all the system does is generate a folder and container files for use as storage, it does nothing to the actual file system of the drive.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.