This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So, Amazon's started charging tax on online purchases...

#51kungfuj0Posted 11/15/2013 2:06:33 PM
Oxus the Smoove posted...
Tennessee will be added to that list pretty soon thanks to new shipping warehouse in Murfreesboro. So, that sucks for me as our sales tax is like 9.7 %, but I guess the extra tax revenue will be nice for the state on the whole. Also, the sale taxes vary by state. Some states don't charge sales tax on food. Some do. Tennessee has no sales tax for used clothing, but does for used media. We have a "tax-free" weekend once a year for computers and most clothing, so that's when everyone does there "back to school" clothing purchases for their kids.

I am surprised that Tennessee isn't already on that list, as most of the stuff I get from amazon ships out of there.

Oh yeah, btw, BAMA FTW!!! Ain't no tax here yet!!!

I'm gonna gloat and enjoy while I can!
---
And to think...people laughed at me when I said MS could out-EA EA any day of the week.
Who's laughing now, *****es???
#52spooiePosted 11/15/2013 4:01:44 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I've been taxed by Amazon here in New York for well into a decade now.

If there is one thing the Democrats in New York love, it's eating up your taxpayer dollars and finding any way they can to leech it from you.

Good thing I found out I'm diabetic last year... imagine all the money the "Soda Tax" would be pulling in for them if I hadn't. <_<
---
Owner of The NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, SMS, GEN, TG16, PSX, PS2, PS3, XBOX, 360, GB, GBC, GBA SP, GB Micro, DS, DSLite, PSP and a lot of crappy games. --BLINGO!
#53WinternovaPosted 11/15/2013 4:20:31 PM
spooie posted...
I don't know about you guys, but I've been taxed by Amazon here in New York for well into a decade now.

If there is one thing the Democrats in New York love, it's eating up your taxpayer dollars and finding any way they can to leech it from you.

Any state where Amazon has a physical presence (distribution centers count) is a state where Amazon would have to collect sales tax for the purchase. In other states the onus is on the buyer to report their purchase on their state income tax form and pay the tax then.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#54zyxomma100Posted 11/15/2013 4:29:20 PM
Not that anyone has implied this in this topic, but I'm astounded by the stupidity of some people... I've heard some people claim that Amazon is being greedy by starting to charge tax in some states. As if Amazon gets to keep any of the sales tax it collects.

That all being said, there is one thing about this that I'm probably going to end up hating Amazon for. Physical retailers have long pushed for legislation that would force online retailers to collect tax for all states, not just ones they have a physical presence in. They claim Amazon has an unfair advantage there, and at the very least, they have a point. Amazon has pushed against this... While they obviously don't advocate tax fraud, they don't make an attempt to fix the problem, either.

As Amazon gains a physical presence in, and thus starts to automatically collect tax for, more and more states, I can see them lobbying for the very tax reforms they once opposed, in an effort to eliminate the "advantages" that other online retailers have over them. That would be quite unethical, IMO. It hasn't happened yet, AFAIK, but I can almost guarantee it's going to happen.
#55spooiePosted 11/15/2013 4:49:55 PM
Winternova posted...
spooie posted...

Any state where Amazon has a physical presence (distribution centers count) is a state where Amazon would have to collect sales tax for the purchase. In other states the onus is on the buyer to report their purchase on their state income tax form and pay the tax then.

I'll be honest with you, I've been ordering from Amazon since 1999 and I've never seen a single item shipped from New York. Closest I can recall anything being shipped here from are Massachusetts and Pennsylvania. But then, maybe I'm just not ordering the right thing. I've generally only ordered media products like movies, games, books... never clothes or groceries or anything like that.

Another genius move by the Cuomo administration... tax low end clothing products to help "support" the very people that tax is going to hurt. And wouldn't you know, MORE Digital-item taxes. Brilliant, as always.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/cuomo-panel-calls-new-taxes-cutting-exemption-article-1.1517987

But then again... I'm biased. Cuomo and Patterson had repeatedly tried to lay off myself and 8,900 of my co-workers on multiple occasions in the last few years... so, naturally, it's sour grapes for me regardless.

I should be quiet though... I don't want to be taxed for the "digital expression of independent thought." Ooopsie!
---
Owner of The NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, SMS, GEN, TG16, PSX, PS2, PS3, XBOX, 360, GB, GBC, GBA SP, GB Micro, DS, DSLite, PSP and a lot of crappy games. --BLINGO!
#56WinternovaPosted 11/15/2013 4:59:16 PM
spooie posted...
I should be quiet though... I don't want to be taxed for the "digital expression of independent thought." Ooopsie!

You engage in thought? Since when? All I've seen so far is moronic rambling...
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#57spooiePosted 11/15/2013 5:02:03 PM
Winternova posted...
spooie posted...

You engage in thought? Since when? All I've seen so far is moronic rambling...

I'm trying to blend in. :)
---