This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Year in review: how would you rate 2013 for gaming?

#1CyricsServantPosted 11/14/2013 5:33:24 PM(edited)
Now that most of the big blockbusters out, how would you rate 2013?

I'd rate it rate it pretty damn high.

There were a lot of solid AAA games (e.g. Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Tomb Raider, etc.)

Some worthwhile JRPGs (e.g. Ni No Kuni, Tales of Xillia, etc.)

Some big name GotY Editions (e.g. Skyrim, Borderlands 2, etc.)

And there were a lot of neat, usually outside-the-box, indie titles: (e.g. Gone Home, Anti-Chamber, The Stanley Parable, Swapper, Anodyne, Shadowrun Returns, Outlast, Amnesia: AM4P, etc.)

. . . So based on what I like to play, I had a good time. How has 2013 been for the rest of you?
#2darkharePosted 11/14/2013 5:31:59 PM
way to many sequels, (tripleA titles) C-. a lot of great and creative arcade games A.

---
The future of Console Gaming, are the gamers. vote with your $!
#3CyricsServant(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2013 5:35:07 PM
darkhare posted...
way to many sequels.

. . . That I'd agree with. A lot of them were "dud" sequels too, or at least they were critically. I still had a lot of fun with other stuff though.
#4DividerByZeroPosted 11/14/2013 5:45:52 PM
The only game I played that released in 2013 was Bioshock Infinite, and I didn't like it. I couldn't get all the way through it.

Nothing else sparked my interest enough to warrant a purchase. There's Murdered: Soul Suspect, Watch Dogs, Evil Within, and DaS2 in 2014 though, so I have hopes for next year.
---
http://www.dividerscorner.blogspot.com/ - Brutally honest game reviews and news.
GT: TG Divider | NP: CoD4, Mass Effect 3 MP, Rock Band 3, Red Dead Redemption
#5TearsfoUniversePosted 11/14/2013 5:51:11 PM
kinda s*** to be honest or at least games I played.

Dead Space 3 was just an action game that was fun with a friend but not worthy of the title.

Gears Judgment was ok, just a dlc game.

Splinter Cell Blacklist: only warranted like 2 playthroughs to me cause once you learn the level, it was super easy even on perfectionist.

The only game I liked this year was Metal Gear Rising
---
Completed Nuzlocke, Fire Red. Pokemon: Charizard, Shiny Tangela, Venomoth, Zapdos. RIP Gyarados, Hitmonchan
#6CyricsServant(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 5:27:26 AM
Sorry to hear most people didn't enjoy it.

I can understand though. There were a lot of sequels this year, and many of them (e.g. Dead Space 3, DmC, God of War: Ascension, Gears of War Judgment, CoD: Ghosts, etc.) haven't met expectations.

Personally, I've been ignoring games like that.

I thought the indies did a really great job, and there were a few really nice new IPs like The Last of Us and Ni No Kuni. I felt some sequels were definitely worth buying, like Saints Row 4, Bioshock: Infinite, and Grand Theft Auto 5. I'm also really enjoying those GotY versions of Skyrim and BL2 on my 360.

Overall, I'm happy with what we got. Would I have liked to have seen more fresh ideas from larger devs? Definitely. But we did get some, and the indies seemed to pick up the slack.
#7desert_santaPosted 11/15/2013 6:42:50 AM
Another great year Cyrics. Glad to see my 3DS and wii u getting more use this year.

Really enjoyed splinter cell(though I think I enjoyed it more than usual as it reminded me of 24 this time and I really miss that show).

Despite the mixed reviews and gamers having issues I was blown away with Arkham Origins. Hoping for more Tomb Raider in the future too.

Year is going out with a bang for me hopefully. Gettting Lego marvel superheroes, AC 4, Mario, Zelda and Bravely Default.

If I had the time I would have gotten a ps4 with killzone but sadly I will be too busy with the wii u and 3DS.

Looking forward to reviews for ryse and quantum break.
#8DyingPancakePosted 11/15/2013 8:31:21 AM
Probably one of the best this gen

Tomb Raider
Bioshock Infinite
Dead Space 3
Gears of War Judgment
The Last of Us
God of War Ascension
Arkham Origins
Grand Theft Auto 5
Saints Row 4
Call of Duty Ghosts
Battlefield 4
Assassians Creed Blackflag
Rayman Legends
Retro City Rampage
Devil May Cry
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Crysis 3
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Diablo 3
Duck Tales
Metro: Last Light

And Killzone, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Forza 5, and Crimson Dragon all look really fun
---
Under a cold October sky, I wait
Number of deer shot this year: 0 (but it won't be for long)
#9SunDevil77Posted 11/15/2013 8:40:57 AM
One of the best years in some time.
---
Hell, it's about time.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#10GawdDawgsPosted 11/15/2013 9:29:48 AM
a few standouts in an otherwise pretty crap year.

C+
---
It does not matter where we go. It is not the destination that matters...it is the journey.