This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How much longer will MS keep Xbox Live up for 360 once XB1 is out?

#1Paulf001Posted 11/18/2013 1:31:58 AM
MS shut off live for the original Xbox 3.5 years after 360 was out.

Do you think they will do the same thing shut off live on 360, in 3.5 years?
#2GuideToTheDarkPosted 11/18/2013 1:38:08 AM
MS said 360 will have support for 3 years.

Why no one seems to know this is beyond me. It was on all the major game news sites.
---
Creating an engine that generates fun is high art.
#3RycerXPosted 11/18/2013 8:05:09 AM
It was more like 4.5 years, they shut it down in April of 2010, and it's pertinent to consider that the 360 has been far more successful than its predecessor. The quote floating around is somewhat suspect, "If you look at 360, that platform lasted for seven to eight years and it's going to go for another three years. Itís incredibly profitable now in the tail." That doesn't necessarily mean they drop Xbox Live support in 2016, it could just mean that they stop producing new games and consoles.

The original Xbox was discontinued in 2008 and Live ran for another two years, so I'm still hopeful that the 360 will continue to enjoy Xbox Live until at least 2018. Also, EA released their statement back in May that they would be supporting the 360 and PS3 until 2017, most likely in terms of server support. Things change of course, but I really think that three year figure on the subject of Xbox Live is sketchy.
#4Prince EnixPosted 11/18/2013 10:56:13 AM
The real question is what happens when they DO disconnect Live on the 360.

Lots of people I'm sure have licensing issues where they can't play DLC unless their Xbox is connected to Live. When Live support ends, do those people lose their DLC, or does MS issue one last patch? Or do they simply keep it Live Aware, but not include any other functions?

Last but not least, the 360 was of course used for lots of things other than gaming (particularly Netflix). Are people who use it for that going to be forced to buy another box when Live goes away (ignoring the fact that Netflix on Xbox is a horrible deal)?
---
Simia simia est, etiamsi aurea gestet insignia.
Fallaces sunt rerum species.
#5thesnoopmeisterPosted 11/18/2013 11:16:10 AM
Keeping orginal Live up did not affect 360 sales.

Im predicting MS turns it off in 2 years purely to try and boost the One.
---
GT: snoopydoggy
#6VasDeferensPosted 11/18/2013 11:40:41 AM
This is the one thing I worry about with MS. They are likely to kill support for the previous gen earlier than Sony will . I bought my first 360 six years into the life of the console, so I don't figure out to get a One till 2018 at the earliest . That's why I'm thinking about getting a PS3 too in the meantime, since it might still get support after the 360 has been abandoned .
---
This is for those using AdBlock : RYSE. RYSE. you will get RYSE !!
#7NeoGeoXSegaPosted 11/18/2013 11:46:02 AM
Don't forget M$ completely dropped support for the original Xbox as soon as the 360 was launched.
They didn't release or support anything for the Xbox original. They barely left the servers on that connected the peer vs peer hosting.
---
I'm still using Glitches & downloading Saves! TRY & STOP ME GAMEFAQS!
http://i.minus.com/iB8tNWOJUBBtH.gif
#8HelmesSeiferPosted 11/18/2013 11:57:58 AM
NeoGeoXSega posted...
Don't forget M$ completely dropped support for the original Xbox as soon as the 360 was launched.
They didn't release or support anything for the Xbox original. They barely left the servers on that connected the peer vs peer hosting.

This is most likely what is going to happen. They are going to focus solely on the X1.
---
Xbox live: CaptainMiles
PSN: AdmiralMiles
#9WinternovaPosted 11/18/2013 12:28:24 PM
NeoGeoXSega posted...

Nvidia and Microsoft had a number of contract squabbles during the run of the original Xbox...and they had MS over a barrel when it came to selling MS the graphics chips for the console. That forced Microsoft's hand and forced them to release the Xbox 360 earlier than they wanted and forced the cessation of support for the original Xbox.

This time around it will be completely different...but people are still paranoid, mainly because of their ignorance of the reasons why the Xbox was phased out.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#10Bardman100Posted 11/18/2013 1:02:45 PM
The whole of 05-07 where pretty much ports of Xbox1 game except for a few games here and there Same will happen agian for maybe even longer this time.