This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thinking about starting a gaming channel on Youtube in the future...

#1Jedi454Posted 11/19/2013 2:13:45 AM
So I can record Xbox 360/ Xbox One gameplay with commentary. The laptop i've got is a Mac and i've got my eyes on a Elgato Game Capture HD, but I've got a couple questions and I also want your opinions.

1. Are there are other bits of Hardware that are similar to the Elgato, that are compatible with the Mac, but are cheaper?

2. What editing software should I consider purchasing or looking into getting?

I have a lot of clear cut ideas of what I would do with the channel, but do any of you guys think I should I not even bother trying and give up the dream or is it worth giving it a try and having fun with it?

Also, have any of you guys/ girls also created a gaming channel and has it been successful or failed?
---
Xbox One Day One Edition √
#2JackBurton85Posted 11/19/2013 2:29:58 AM
Are you funny?

If no, then definitely don't do one.

If yes, then you likely are actually not funny, and any attempts at comedy will be profoundly irritating to the rest of mankind, so definitely don't do one.
#3Jedi454(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2013 2:32:57 AM
JackBurton85 posted...
Are you funny?

If no, then definitely don't do one.

If yes, then you likely are actually not funny, and any attempts at comedy will be profoundly irritating to the rest of mankind, so definitely don't do one.

Feedback noted, cheers mate ;)
---
#4TearsfoUniversePosted 11/19/2013 4:15:27 AM
you could try this

http://hauppauge.com/site/webstore2/webstore_hdpvr2-gaming.asp
---
Completed Nuzlocke, Fire Red. Pokemon: Charizard, Shiny Tangela, Venomoth, Zapdos. RIP Gyarados, Hitmonchan
#5LapanuiPosted 11/19/2013 4:23:17 AM
Just remember, YT is filled with gaming channels. If you are thinking of doing this to make some money, don't expect a lot... You will most likely have to be really good.

If you are doing it as a hobby, then just do it. I don't see the harm in it.

I don't think it's easy though. I watch Achievement Hunter on a daily basis, I find them to be really funny guys, I see a lot of comments on their videos asking for people to check out their channel, I watch a couple of videos and they are try hards. They just aren't funny at all... I've also enjoyed some of UberHaxorNova videos as well. I'm not a fan of PewDiePie though, I feel it's just too over the top for me.
---
GT: Zichu PSN: Zichu NNID: Zichu1
#6DividerByZeroPosted 11/19/2013 4:27:21 AM
I tried some gaming videos a few years ago. It was hard to get on the mic and talk the whole time. Most of my playtime is spent with me saying nothing at all.

I bet it would be easier with another person to banter with though.
---
http://www.dividerscorner.blogspot.com/ - Brutally honest game reviews and news.
GT: TG Divider | NP: CoD4, Mass Effect 3 MP, Rock Band 3, Red Dead Redemption
#7Jedi454(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2013 4:59:33 AM
Lapanui posted...
Just remember, YT is filled with gaming channels. If you are thinking of doing this to make some money, don't expect a lot... You will most likely have to be really good.

If you are doing it as a hobby, then just do it. I don't see the harm in it.

I don't think it's easy though. I watch Achievement Hunter on a daily basis, I find them to be really funny guys, I see a lot of comments on their videos asking for people to check out their channel, I watch a couple of videos and they are try hards. They just aren't funny at all... I've also enjoyed some of UberHaxorNova videos as well. I'm not a fan of PewDiePie though, I feel it's just too over the top for me.

The way I see it is I want it to start as a hobby, but I would like to achieve goals with the channel in the future. From what i've seen in a lot of semi popular/ popular gaming channels, is they're pretty the same, they have humour and good editing, but the content flows the same. I would like to start the channel from a unique port of view, not just "let's play walkthroughs" "montages" "Online gameplay", but other view points and i'll include humour of course, but I want it to be more natural and less over the top and immature.
---
#8Jedi454(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2013 5:01:44 AM
DividerByZero posted...
I tried some gaming videos a few years ago. It was hard to get on the mic and talk the whole time. Most of my playtime is spent with me saying nothing at all.

I bet it would be easier with another person to banter with though.

I imagine it would take some real effort to talk through the entire video, but I imagine it would flow naturally as you become more comfortable with the mic.
---
#9BlueJester007Posted 11/19/2013 6:11:02 AM
I prefer the silent playthroughs. You don't need to talk in order for us to enjoy the video. Just show us the game.

I would reccomend playing games that you are already pretty good at. Show us some tricks/exploits on your playthroughs and what not. It is more entertaining to watch a skilled player than a noob.

And please don't say, "Like Comment Subscribe" anywhere in your videos. We're not stupid. If we feel your content is worthy enough, we'll let you know. You don't need to tell us.
---
Deus Ex: Human Revolution OST Title: I Never Asked For Discs
#10Jedi454(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2013 6:20:52 AM
BlueJester007 posted...
I prefer the silent playthroughs. You don't need to talk in order for us to enjoy the video. Just show us the game.

I would reccomend playing games that you are already pretty good at. Show us some tricks/exploits on your playthroughs and what not. It is more entertaining to watch a skilled player than a noob.

And please don't say, "Like Comment Subscribe" anywhere in your videos. We're not stupid. If we feel your content is worthy enough, we'll let you know. You don't need to tell us.

I'm going to hit a combination of silent walkthroughs, walkthroughs with talking and I notice that basically every Youtuber includes "Like Comment Subscribe", I think it's a good idea to add to some videos, but not every single one and I imagine it does put people off subbing to begin with.

I think people that fail at making their channels noticeable is the lack of confidence communicating with the audience, people don't want to listen to plain and dull youtubers.
---