This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If you're holding off on buying a "current-gen" console, why?

#1CyricsServantPosted 11/24/2013 7:47:18 AM(edited)
I'm excited that a new hardware gen is finally upon us but, personally, I don't see any reason to buy a PS4, X1, or Wii U for at least another six months . . . maybe even a year.

The thing holding me back, besides hoping they work out any technical defects that rear their ugly head over the next few months, is the lack of compelling, current-gen only software announcements. There just haven't been that many exciting announcements; we're getting a lot of sequels to last-gen franchises . . . which is good, but not enough to get me to throw down $300-$500 for a new system.

What's also holding me back is . . . I'm actually more excited for last-gen software announcements. :/

Games like Tales of Xillia 2, Persona 5, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow II, etc. I want some of those games more than anything that's even been announced yet for the PS4, X1, or Wii U.

It also doesn't help that a number of games I'm excited for (e.g. Dark Souls II, Dragon Age III, The Witcher III, Thief, Watch Dogs, etc.) are cross-gen.

So that's what's holding me back. How about everyone else who's waiting? Why? Is it the price? The fear of hardware defects/ shortcomings that usually plague early adopters? The poor launch line-ups? The fact we're still getting great software for our old systems?
#2simonbelmont2Posted 11/24/2013 7:40:45 AM
I am avoiding getting a new console for the same reasons you explained. Not enough new games yet and I would rather wait until any hardware issues are sorted.
---
and when he crossed the bridge the phantoms came to meet him
#3DragonyeuwPosted 11/24/2013 7:49:16 AM(edited)
You touched on most of my reasons...

A backlog of 'last-gen' titles that I want to beat first
Last gen titles that I haven't bought yet that I want to play
Waiting for all the bugs/kinks to be worked out first with the new systems
Waiting for the new systems to build up their libraries first
Most of the big name titles are franchises that IMHO have been done to death i.e Assassin's Creed, COD, Battlefield, Forza,Killzone. I'm not spending $4-500 this early on just play these titles, and as far as I'm aware none of the 'new' IPs are system sellers.
---
Systems owned- PS3 slim, PS2 slim, PS Vita, PSP3000... Nintendo Wii, Red 3ds (Zelda 3dsXL will be mine!!), SNES..... Xbox 360.....Sega Dreamcast
#4Seanie1200Posted 11/24/2013 7:47:38 AM
Dragonyeuw posted...
You touched on most of my reasons...

A backlog of 'last-gen' titles that I want to beat first
Last gen titles that I haven't bought yet that I want to play
Waiting for all the bugs/kinks to be worked out first with the new systems
Waiting for the new systems to build up their libraries first

Basically this. I can add to it that I just didn't want to spend the money.
#5Gunvalkyrie2Posted 11/24/2013 8:55:25 AM
gamerankings tabulations of so many of these launch games - Ryse - 60% Crimson Dragon 58% - Killer Instinct 72%?! Even the flagship title Forza 5 can only muster an 80%!?

doesn't sound like the console is worth $500 at this point in time................

not to mention the blu ray drive thing or the fact I have 20 games from this gen still to play
---
You are ignoring 9 message(s) from users on this page. Manage your list here.
#6Prince EnixPosted 11/24/2013 8:55:37 AM
I have a backlog, and I have never spent more than $300 on a console and I don't intend to do so now.
---
Simia simia est, etiamsi aurea gestet insignia.
Fallaces sunt rerum species.
#7Carribean_CoolPosted 11/24/2013 9:03:46 AM
I barely play video games anymore, and it would be pointless to buy a 500 dollar system if I'm only going to use it once in a while.
---
Snitsky's Condoms. If she get's pregnant, it's not your fault.
#8omniflash8Posted 11/24/2013 10:08:22 AM
Same as you TC. There is still plenty I want to play on 360. Still working on GTA5, never played fallout, bioshock or mass effect. The new systems are so expensive and don't really come with anything. Although I am getting a wiiu this Christmas so my wife and I can play the new Mario's.
---
Hard work beats talent when talent refuses to work hard.
Brawl FC: 2707-1312-7798
#9gldooriiPosted 11/24/2013 10:21:33 AM
I have no reason to buy them when I have plenty of PS3 and 360 games to play through. It would be a waste of money. Besides, now that current gen consoles are out that means PS3 and 360 games will just get cheaper and cheaper.
---
PSN - gldoorii
Live - xgldooriix
#10Zohar_MetatronPosted 11/24/2013 10:22:33 AM
I have a decent-ish PC. It's not top-of-the-line, granted, but it runs current games at high settings pretty comfortably. The $500 I could spend towards a new console could just as easily go into making my system look way better, plus most of the upcoming stuff I'm interested in will be there and it supports my current/past library considerably better.
---
By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings.