This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Mass Effect

#11JackBurton85Posted 12/10/2013 8:02:53 PM
orangenee posted...
If you have a file from ME 1 most of what you did carries over, even a bit from side missions.

It's really nothing to get excited about though as it changes very little by ME 3.

Still pretty neat.

The main thing though is that story carrying over. I always want to know i'm getting the most out of the experience when playing a game/series.
#12simonbelmont2Posted 12/10/2013 8:05:27 PM
JackBurton85 posted...
glassghost0 posted...
JackBurton85 posted...
Do you have to start from the beginning? Is it important at all story wise?

No, you don't have to, but stuff does carry over from every game, so, if you want to make all the choices yourself you either have to play each game or buy the "comic book" dlc that lets you make the choices

Stuff/choices carry over? Do you mean stuff you did in Mass Effect 1 will carry over into Mass Effect 2? Like you load up your profile/saved game or character and the next installment lets you build on this same character? Or do you just mean the story elements are continuous from one entry to another?

Game sounds cooler and cooler the more i look into it. Id def want to start from the beginning. Just wish i didn't have a job and family and all that nonsense haha, seems like a big game, big series at least. Don't exactly have much if any free time unfortunately.

The consequences of the choices you make carry over, so does your character as you can indeed load up a saved character from the previous game. Elements of the story such as characters you meet/enemies etc will appear in the second and/or third game too.
---
and when he crossed the bridge the phantoms came to meet him
#13SheepinatorPosted 12/10/2013 8:13:44 PM
Does anything significant matter from ME1, wrt your choices, for ME2 or 3? I think because PS3 didn't have ME1 they made some DLC so you can pick your choices and dive right into ME2.

I didn't care much for the first. Only the interesting story kept me going. The graphics were crap, the controls were clunky, the environments were repetitive with the same boxy installation on multiple planets, and so on. I much preferred the gameplay in ME2 and ME3, which were more like typical TPS games except with the added bonus of more character choices and great story, and both sequels were very, very polished. If you're not into the first game don't let it put you off this amazing series, as it almost did for me.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#14glassghost0Posted 12/10/2013 8:16:27 PM
JackBurton85 posted...
glassghost0 posted...
JackBurton85 posted...
Do you have to start from the beginning? Is it important at all story wise?

No, you don't have to, but stuff does carry over from every game, so, if you want to make all the choices yourself you either have to play each game or buy the "comic book" dlc that lets you make the choices

Stuff/choices carry over? Do you mean stuff you did in Mass Effect 1 will carry over into Mass Effect 2? Like you load up your profile/saved game or character and the next installment lets you build on this same character? Or do you just mean the story elements are continuous from one entry to another?

Game sounds cooler and cooler the more i look into it. Id def want to start from the beginning. Just wish i didn't have a job and family and all that nonsense haha, seems like a big game, big series at least. Don't exactly have much if any free time unfortunately.

Yes, characters, events, etc.. all carry over between each game, so stuff you did in 1 will affect stuff in 3.

Now, don't expect anything huge, but your experience, story, characters, etc.. could potentially be different

Again, if you don't play each game, there is a default to what happens, but like I said, 2 and 3 have a dlc "story/comic book" thing that lets you make the decisions if you didn't actually play the previous gamel

I would suggest playing all 3 though, no real reason to skip 1 or 2.

There are quite major differences in some gameplay areas that change in each title.

1 had a vehicle that you can drive around planets and explore
2 had you just scavenge the solar system for materials that you acquired through dropships/orbs? whatever they were called)
3 had, i don't remember, lol, I think something similar to 2.

I also think there was a dlc that added a vehicle to 2 though, but idk
---
No Thanks
3DS FC: 3067-4989-8122
#15PsychoDrama1Posted 12/10/2013 8:17:08 PM
ME2 is one of the best games i've ever played. Stick with it even though the first game is dated.
---
Wolf Parade, Swan Lake, Built to Spill, Sunset Rubdown, The Hold Steady, Modest Mouse, Handsome Furs, Plants and Animals
#16WemedgePosted 12/10/2013 8:18:06 PM
Do yourself a favor and play the whole thing (dlc included). Otherwise you will have missed out on one of the definitive franchises of this gen of consoles. And while ME1 can get tedious, the payoff is worth the wait.
#17SheepinatorPosted 12/10/2013 8:19:42 PM
JackBurton85 posted...

Each game could take about 30 hours for a campaign run, if you're doing all the side missions etc. If you like polished shooters and time is an issue, you could skip the first, but ME2 should definitely be played.
---
#18simonbelmont2Posted 12/10/2013 8:20:12 PM
Sheepinator posted...
Does anything significant matter from ME1, wrt your choices, for ME2 or 3? I think because PS3 didn't have ME1 they made some DLC so you can pick your choices and dive right into ME2.

I didn't care much for the first. Only the interesting story kept me going. The graphics were crap, the controls were clunky, the environments were repetitive with the same boxy installation on multiple planets, and so on. I much preferred the gameplay in ME2 and ME3, which were more like typical TPS games except with the added bonus of more character choices and great story, and both sequels were very, very polished. If you're not into the first game don't let it put you off this amazing series, as it almost did for me.

I don't remember anything important carrying over from ME1 into the other games. There were a couple of choices I made in the first game that had an affect on certain squad members in the sequels. They didn't make a big difference to the games though.
---
and when he crossed the bridge the phantoms came to meet him
#19SheepinatorPosted 12/10/2013 8:23:13 PM
simonbelmont2 posted...
Sheepinator posted...

I don't remember anything important carrying over from ME1 into the other games. There were a couple of choices I made in the first game that had an affect on certain squad members in the sequels. They didn't make a big difference to the games though.

I think there was one supposedly major choice at the end of ME1, about a specific race, which IIRC finally came into play in ME3 and it turned out it didn't matter what your choice in ME1 was. Other than that, I don't recall much else making a big difference, if you'd never played ME1. Obviously you'd miss out on a lot of important backstory, but that's easily found online.
---
#20Boogs34Posted 12/10/2013 8:23:47 PM
its awwesome