This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Did my 360 forget it was just a video game console?

#1JorepPosted 12/12/2013 4:13:32 PM
So I tried to log on today and they're like, WAIT! We have to make sure your account is more secure.

"Oh, okay Xbox, that's cool I guess. It's not like you're a toy box sitting in my living room or anything."

So first they want my phone number, to call me, or text me or something, to make sure it's me. You know, I guess in case someone broke into my house and stole my xbox or something. Or tried to log into my xbox from somewhere else - in which case they'd have to have my email and password. Guess that's not secure enough for you, Xbox. But okay, I'll bite.

"K Xbox, here's my phone number. Send me your verification code or whatever."

BUT WAIT! Shouts the Xbox. We need more. How about you give us, like, I dunno, your email address too?
"Wait Xbox, don't you already HAVE my email? Well, let me just put it in again -"
NO! Shouts the Xbox. We need ANOTHER email address. A DIFFERENT email address.

At that point I decided Xbox was just being too pushy and closed the window out, and it still let me log in, but what the heck are they thinking?

That's a little overboard, isn't it?
---
http://www.abovethewage.com
Through fire, justice is served!
#2orangeneePosted 12/12/2013 4:19:06 PM
God forbid MS tries to make your account more secure.

We could try the PSN method of "WTF is security? Here hackers, a fire sale on all these fine accounts! Help yourselves, plenty to go around!"

Which of course, happened.
---
How to divide by Zero: Find person named Zero, get him/her to divide something.
GT/PSN:Hellsteeth30
#3Jorep(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2013 4:22:51 PM
Having a username and secure password is more than fine for me.

Asking for a phone number verification is a little overboard, but whatever. I'll take it. It's secure.

Asking for another method of verification AFTER that, especially an alternate email address, at this point feels more like market phishing than network security.
---
#4vigorm0rtisPosted 12/12/2013 4:24:35 PM
Just create a second email account, don't do the phone confirmation, problem solved. Christ.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF http://i.imgur.com/D9R0iaQ.gif
#5Kurgan777Posted 12/12/2013 4:26:07 PM
Just wait until you have to do it all again a few days from now.......
---
What's the purpose in owning a Grenade Launcher?
The sheer inability to continue life without it ! ! !
#6natevinesPosted 12/12/2013 4:29:06 PM
orangenee posted...

We could try the PSN method of "WTF is security? Here hackers, a fire sale on all these fine accounts! Help yourselves, plenty to go around!"

Nice false dilemma. I haven't experienced what TC described, but it sounds over the top and obnoxious. Do most people even have multiple e-mails?
---
Gamertag- MidgetRifleman
#7majinbuu58Posted 12/12/2013 4:30:00 PM
Ah. Here's the weekly "MS is trying to make sure my info doesn't get stolen! HOW DARE THEY" topic
#8orangeneePosted 12/12/2013 4:32:58 PM
natevines posted...
orangenee posted...

Nice false dilemma. I haven't experienced what TC described, but it sounds over the top and obnoxious. Do most people even have multiple e-mails?

False? So the security breach on PSN never happened.

I have 3 email accounts btw. Not even that hard to make a fresh one either, plenty of free mail carriers out there.
---
How to divide by Zero: Find person named Zero, get him/her to divide something.
GT/PSN:Hellsteeth30
#9SkilzMCPosted 12/12/2013 4:34:18 PM
I agree that's annoying, it really shouldn't be mandatory.
---
"I wanted to buy a candle holder but the store didn't have one, so I bought a cake." -Mitch Hedberg
- GT Skillz MC
#10Jorep(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2013 4:35:39 PM
There comes a point when a company is asking for more information than they logically need, and in keeping and storing this information, it becomes more of a liability than a boon for your own personal identity safety.

I'm not looking to bash the Xbox. I own a 360. I use it nearly every day, whether for Netflix or gaming. I love the system.

My problem is with an overstepping of personal boundaries. This is not securing your information. A phone verification, like I said, is over the top but fair. They want to go beyond that.

I shouldn't have to provide a second email address. They have my email address. My password is stored and, hopefully, encrypted. I don't give that out to other people.

You giving them more information won't prevent a system-wide security breach from happening. It'll just ensure they get that much more from you.
---