This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Biggest crime against gaming committed by DLC this past gen?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Biggest crime against gaming committed by DLC this past gen?
3 years ago#1
As much as I want to say the Gears of War 3 weapon skins, the award goes to ME3's Fro Mash... sorry, From Ashes.

Not only is this day 1 DLC but it is essential to the ME universe. It's one of those DLCs where you really can say that the main game is not a complete game without it. If you played through ME3 without that character from the DLC, I hate to say it but you missed out on A LOT. It also doesn't help that Javik is arguably the most interesting character (for both gameplay and narrative) in a crew that is pretty lame when compared the last game.

So for being such an essential part of the game and being cut just to have some day 1 DLC, From Ashes wins the award as the absolute worst example of DLC this past gen. That plus the fact that the coop had a season pass in addition to micro transactions really makes one wonder WTF is going on at EA and if they are really are this clueless as to how markets work.
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
3 years ago#2
He wasn't even close to being essential
No Thanks
3DS FC: 3067-4989-8122
3 years ago#3
Disc-Locked Content; see Street Fighter x Tekken
Gaming, Anime/Manga, Dubstep, and all the stuff in between
3 years ago#4
As soon as I saw the topic title the first thing that popped in my head was From Ashes too. What a friggin joke that was.

I liked how EA kept saying "b-b-b-but we couldn't finish it before the game went gold, since it was unplanned, so there's nothing wrong with charging people for it", when it was advertised more than 6 months in advance as being part of the CE. Yeah, unplanned my ass.
3 years ago#5
pothocket posted...
So for being such an essential part of the game and being cut just to have some day 1 DLC

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/02/mass-effect-3-dlc-triggers-fan-outrage-bioware-response/
“It takes about 3 months from ‘content complete’ to bug-fix, certify, manufacture, and ship game discs,” he tweeted. “In that time we work on DLC… On [Mass Effect 3], content creators completed the game in January and moved onto the From Ashes DLC, free with the [Collector's Edition] or you can buy separately.”

BioWare associate producer Michael Gamble also spoke up, posting on the BioWare official forums to explain the situation to fans:

“The Prothean is optional content that is certainly designed to appeal to long-time fans, which is why he is part of the CE offering,” he said. “Mass Effect 3 is a complete –- and a huge game — right out of the box. The content in From Ashes was developed by a separate team (after the core game was finished) and not completed until well after the main game went into certification."

But, hey, never let facts get in the way of a mindless rant, right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
3 years ago#6
I didn't play the DL and I still enjoyed my time with ME3, up until the ending that is. Prior to completing ME3 I was thinking of what I was going to do different as I played through the series again. The ME3 finale and ending quelled any interest I had in ever going back through the games.
I don't care about the altitude, I just want another drink.
3 years ago#7
glassghost0 posted...

Of course he was. We're talking about Javik from ME3 in case you're confused.
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
3 years ago#8
Claire_Farron posted...
Disc-Locked Content

Correct answer and only answer
No Thanks
3 years ago#9
glassghost0 posted...

Not literally, no.

But he did shed light on a TON of lore, and he completely changes parts of the script in numerous missions, with the most obvious one being Thessia. Compared with Zaeed and Kasumi he was a really fleshed out character.

To the average long-time fan of the series, he was pretty goddamn important.
3 years ago#10
pothocket posted...
glassghost0 posted...

Of course he was. We're talking about Javik from ME3 in case you're confused.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about....

He wasn't necessary
No Thanks
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Biggest crime against gaming committed by DLC this past gen?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived