This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Biggest crime against gaming committed by DLC this past gen?

#1pothocketPosted 12/23/2013 10:14:31 AM
As much as I want to say the Gears of War 3 weapon skins, the award goes to ME3's Fro Mash... sorry, From Ashes.

Not only is this day 1 DLC but it is essential to the ME universe. It's one of those DLCs where you really can say that the main game is not a complete game without it. If you played through ME3 without that character from the DLC, I hate to say it but you missed out on A LOT. It also doesn't help that Javik is arguably the most interesting character (for both gameplay and narrative) in a crew that is pretty lame when compared the last game.

So for being such an essential part of the game and being cut just to have some day 1 DLC, From Ashes wins the award as the absolute worst example of DLC this past gen. That plus the fact that the coop had a season pass in addition to micro transactions really makes one wonder WTF is going on at EA and if they are really are this clueless as to how markets work.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#2glassghost0Posted 12/23/2013 10:27:13 AM
He wasn't even close to being essential
---
No Thanks
3DS FC: 3067-4989-8122
#3Claire_FarronPosted 12/23/2013 10:29:00 AM
Disc-Locked Content; see Street Fighter x Tekken
---
Gaming, Anime/Manga, Dubstep, and all the stuff in between
#4TheIastspartanPosted 12/23/2013 10:30:41 AM
As soon as I saw the topic title the first thing that popped in my head was From Ashes too. What a friggin joke that was.

I liked how EA kept saying "b-b-b-but we couldn't finish it before the game went gold, since it was unplanned, so there's nothing wrong with charging people for it", when it was advertised more than 6 months in advance as being part of the CE. Yeah, unplanned my ass.
#5WinternovaPosted 12/23/2013 10:32:01 AM
pothocket posted...
So for being such an essential part of the game and being cut just to have some day 1 DLC

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/02/mass-effect-3-dlc-triggers-fan-outrage-bioware-response/
“It takes about 3 months from ‘content complete’ to bug-fix, certify, manufacture, and ship game discs,” he tweeted. “In that time we work on DLC… On [Mass Effect 3], content creators completed the game in January and moved onto the From Ashes DLC, free with the [Collector's Edition] or you can buy separately.”

BioWare associate producer Michael Gamble also spoke up, posting on the BioWare official forums to explain the situation to fans:

“The Prothean is optional content that is certainly designed to appeal to long-time fans, which is why he is part of the CE offering,” he said. “Mass Effect 3 is a complete –- and a huge game — right out of the box. The content in From Ashes was developed by a separate team (after the core game was finished) and not completed until well after the main game went into certification."

But, hey, never let facts get in the way of a mindless rant, right?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#6SixStringHeroPosted 12/23/2013 10:32:13 AM
I didn't play the DL and I still enjoyed my time with ME3, up until the ending that is. Prior to completing ME3 I was thinking of what I was going to do different as I played through the series again. The ME3 finale and ending quelled any interest I had in ever going back through the games.
---
I don't care about the altitude, I just want another drink.
#7pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2013 10:32:17 AM
glassghost0 posted...

Of course he was. We're talking about Javik from ME3 in case you're confused.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#8glassghost0Posted 12/23/2013 10:33:15 AM
Claire_Farron posted...
Disc-Locked Content

Correct answer and only answer
---
No Thanks
#9TheIastspartanPosted 12/23/2013 10:35:41 AM
glassghost0 posted...

Not literally, no.

But he did shed light on a TON of lore, and he completely changes parts of the script in numerous missions, with the most obvious one being Thessia. Compared with Zaeed and Kasumi he was a really fleshed out character.

To the average long-time fan of the series, he was pretty goddamn important.
#10glassghost0Posted 12/23/2013 10:36:58 AM
pothocket posted...
glassghost0 posted...

Of course he was. We're talking about Javik from ME3 in case you're confused.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about....

He wasn't necessary
---
No Thanks