This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

going from fried fat console to new slim.. couple questions..

#1Citan22Posted 12/27/2013 9:03:22 PM
so my time with a rrod fat elite my brother fixed and gave me was short lived.. the thing crapped out a few days ago and seems done..

good news is, i'm sold on getting myself another one, most likely a brand new slim. my question is, what is the first thing i should do? should i recover my profile on the new slim before doing a hard drive data transfer? or does transferring my data from my fat HDD make recovering the profile unnecessary?

also, currently i have some game saves on a usb flash drive.. problem is, with my fried xbox, i wont be able to move them back onto the HDD prior to transfer. but i shouldnt have any problems copying them over to the new slim straight from the usb stick, right?
---
~ BONEPILL
#2infinitexxPosted 12/27/2013 9:24:21 PM
Citan22 posted...
also, currently i have some game saves on a usb flash drive.. problem is, with my fried xbox, i wont be able to move them back onto the HDD prior to transfer. but i shouldnt have any problems copying them over to the new slim straight from the usb stick, right?

Won't be an issue. You could even just use them straight from the usb stick were you so inclined.
---
You can't make an omelette without crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning.
#3RycerXPosted 12/27/2013 9:25:13 PM
I didn't recover anything when I upgraded hard drives, it all went in the transfer. What you'll want to do afterward though is go to account management and do a license transfer, then redownload all of your DLC games and add-ons from your download history to update their licenses. Don't delete anything, just redownload and it'll take about 5-10 seconds per item. This way you can access your digital content offline if you want.
#4Citan22(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2013 9:57:44 PM
thanks. and yeah, i'll definitely be doing the license transfer.

but man, i just checked prices on slims.. are the 4gb and 250gb my only options?? i can't believe it's $249.. i guess it was the 4gb selling for $99 this black friday... i would have grabbed one, had i known mine would break.

what do people think is the best option these days? just go for the 250, or maybe get the 4gb and buy a 120gb hdd (i don't need 250, but i need more than the 60 i currently have). i read you can even get third party HDDs to work.. and they'll certainly cost less than what microsoft is charging..

lastly, i read i can just open up my fat HDD (take it out of it's case) and it'll work in a slim model. i probably wont even need to do the cable transfer if i do this..
---
~ BONEPILL
#5Super CreaturesPosted 12/27/2013 11:04:36 PM
Citan22 posted...
what do people think is the best option these days?

The 4GB console + 320GB official HDD (if you find really old stock, you might be able to get a code for Lego Star Wars III, otherwise, the new ones come with Ms. Splosion Man, NFS: Hot Pursuit, and Sorcerer's Lair for Pinball FX 2).

Otherwise, if you can still find it, the Black Friday deal from Bestbuy for the 250GB model with 2 bonus games (beyond what is already included in the current holiday bundle, for a total of 4 free games).
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#6blakenbl00Posted 12/27/2013 11:08:06 PM
Citan22 posted...
thanks. and yeah, i'll definitely be doing the license transfer.

but man, i just checked prices on slims.. are the 4gb and 250gb my only options?? i can't believe it's $249.. i guess it was the 4gb selling for $99 this black friday... i would have grabbed one, had i known mine would break.

what do people think is the best option these days? just go for the 250, or maybe get the 4gb and buy a 120gb hdd (i don't need 250, but i need more than the 60 i currently have). i read you can even get third party HDDs to work.. and they'll certainly cost less than what microsoft is charging..

lastly, i read i can just open up my fat HDD (take it out of it's case) and it'll work in a slim model. i probably wont even need to do the cable transfer if i do this..

We did tell you your X-Box would break. It was a RROD xbox that your brother "fixed". I pointed this out to you and you decided to stay the course. I think other people also recommended the black Friday sales.
---
E-101 You-go guay guay fi dee schow'
#7Citan22(Topic Creator)Posted 12/28/2013 12:50:41 AM
blakenbl00 posted...

We did tell you your X-Box would break. It was a RROD xbox that your brother "fixed". I pointed this out to you and you decided to stay the course. I think other people also recommended the black Friday sales.

yeah i know. i had to chance it though.. that was my first time spending any real time with the 360, so i wanted to try out some games and see if i'd like em. now i just hope a slim will last me. it seems the fat 360s were almost designed to break after a few years. i wanna be able to plug this thing in and have it work in 10 years, like my original ps1 (and soon ps2).
---
~ BONEPILL