This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which Gears Of War campaign is best?

#11CaIiber345Posted 12/30/2013 1:20:15 AM
TheLastAvatar05 posted...
Pacman2dx posted...
Gears 2 > Gears 3 > Gears > Gears: Judgment

I'm inclined to agree with this. I doubt there would be a Gears of War 4, where would you take the series considering how everything was wrapped up in 3? They ended the storyline too early and could have drawn it out for a few more games instead of giving closure in 3...

This is a frequent problem in games, movies, and television. Sometimes it's best to end something while it's still good, fun, or engaging. Otherwise it gets drawn out, abused, stale, and ends up sucking. We then remember it and say, "They should have ended the storyline earlier instead of drawing it out for a few more games/sequels/seasons."
---
Playstation 4, Xbox 360
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" - Bilbo Baggins
#120PTICSPosted 12/30/2013 1:56:37 AM
I didn't play Judgement, but the campaign for 1-3 were all equally good to me.... but I think 1 left a better impression since it was the first and brought alot of new things to the table. One thing I wish they brought back from the first campaign were the kryll. You don't come across missions like that.
#13jimm120Posted 12/30/2013 2:03:41 AM
I liked the 1st.

Yes, the "story" is bonkers and somewhat broken.

But it just feels like one BIG epic mission. Just epic.

Gears 2 was crappy.

Gears 3 was ok but nothing special.
---
Worthy Indie: Magicians & Looters -Breath Of Death -Cuthulu Saves The World -EvilQuest -Trino -Shoot 1UP -Your Doodles Are Bugged -Vintage Hero
#14simonbelmont2Posted 12/30/2013 3:32:22 AM
CaIiber345 posted...
Pacman2dx posted...

I'm inclined to agree with this. I doubt there would be a Gears of War 4, where would you take the series considering how everything was wrapped up in 3? They ended the storyline too early and could have drawn it out for a few more games instead of giving closure in 3...

This is a frequent problem in games, movies, and television. Sometimes it's best to end something while it's still good, fun, or engaging. Otherwise it gets drawn out, abused, stale, and ends up sucking. We then remember it and say, "They should have ended the storyline earlier instead of drawing it out for a few more games/sequels/seasons."

This.
---
and when he crossed the bridge the phantoms came to meet him
#15kingwutuguPosted 12/30/2013 4:05:57 AM
General Raam's in 3.
---
There is an "I" in "Win"! so get lost team!
#16stawg007Posted 12/30/2013 4:07:02 AM

Gears 1 was the only one to make it feel gritty and dark, the rest just felt like shooters

I found 2 very boring, 3 was a lot better but still missed the atmosphere and grit of the first, havnt played Judgement
---
lPayneToTheMaxl
#17Dragon NexusPosted 12/30/2013 12:23:27 PM
Pacman2dx posted...

After reading the books, honestly they couldn't.

The books paint the world as being pretty much done. It's scorched, it's dead, it's full of hostile people that hate each other, dwindling resources and a government that long since stopped being relevent.

And by the end of 3 things were only worse. 3 wasn't a happy ending, really. Sure the threat is over, but they still have to *live*.

As for going back to the pendulum wars, that was all explained nicely in the books too. Didn't really need making a game out of.
I find myself wishing Karen Traviss was on board since day one, since she brought way more characterisation and emotion to the series than the dude in charge of GoW1 and 2 ever did.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
#18pothocketPosted 12/30/2013 1:02:42 PM(edited)
Gears 1 campaign has a focus on the solid core gameplay with only a few annoying gimmicky areas and a throw away narrative

Gears 2 campaign is entirely focused on annoying gimmicky areas and it barely feels like Gears gameplay. The narrative tries for emotion and maturity but falls flat on its face and doesn't pull it off. I consider it the worst game in the series.

Gears 3 returns the gameplay focus to actually being about tactical cover and the narrative manages to not be embarrassing.

If you only play one Gears campaign - it should be the third game without question. It's the best in both gameplay and narrative
#19jason19192Posted 12/30/2013 1:11:48 PM
The first and second are pretty much the same in terms of quality. The third one is a massive disappointment, way too repetitive.
#20Gigant0pithecusPosted 12/30/2013 1:17:06 PM
Only played the first two, but I found the first one better I guess.
---
XBL: Gigantopithecus
PSN: SugarPussPulled