This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Finally finished Bioshock, how do Bioshock 2 and Infinite hold up?

#1Jedi454Posted 1/15/2014 5:01:08 PM
I can't believe I didn't play my Bioshock and complete it sooner because it was highly addictive, played about 5-6 hours in one sitting yesterday, so my question is what is other people's opinions on the other two Bioshocks in comparison to the first.
---
The Xbox One board should be renamed to the Official "Troll Here" board.
My Gaming channel: https://www.youtube.com/DyingRomanGaming
#2SheepinatorPosted 1/15/2014 5:16:50 PM
Bio 2 is basically the same game, which is fine if you enjoy it (I did). The DLC Minerva's Den is also highly recommended. Bio Inf is free on PS+ atm, interesting environment, good game compared to most shooters but I still expected more from this franchise and after so long in development. The game was extremely linear.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#3aj4x94Posted 1/15/2014 5:23:41 PM
Infinite is so unbelievably dumbed down, that the original Bioshock can't possibly be called a watered down System Shock 2 anymore in comparison to this.

-No hacking
-No moral choices
-Only one ending
-Two weapon rule
-Vigors are boring compared to Plasmids
-Linear. Almost FFXIII linear
---
Playing: Skyrim, Lone Survivor, GTA V, Siren Blood Curse, ICO/Shadow of the Colossus, Splinter Cell Blacklist
PSN: T-Snake94, XBL: T-Snake 94
#4HandGodPosted 1/15/2014 5:25:34 PM
Bioshock 2, while superior in some ways (namely combat), felt like a straight-to-DVD sequel to a blockbuster movie. I liked it a lot, but it really didn't capture the magic of walking into Rapture for the first time. It had the questionable inclusion of multiplayer, as well, but I would be willing to venture a guess that multiplayer is dead by now (it was fun for a little while, but there wasn't anything remarkable about it, unless you're just dying to play a routine game of deathmatch, capture the flag or king of the hill with a Bioshock twist). Be sure to pick up Minerva's Den, as I found that DLC to be actually superior to the whole game, and would easily place it as the top add-ons of this generation.

Bioshock: Infinite kind of left me with mixed feelings. It's extremely combat heavy, very limited on exploration and I don't think it has nearly as much charm as the first game. The characters are endearing, and left me wanting to continue the game further, but I'm really not sure really where I stand on the whole game. I'm about to replay it again, so maybe my feelings will change for the better, but I think I enjoyed the first one more.
#5kwarantinePosted 1/15/2014 5:29:55 PM
Bioshock 2 is pretty good. It's definitely the worst of the 3 but it's still not bad. Minerva's den is the jewel of that game though. As for infinite, I kind of wanna say it's better, mainly because I like the locale and "theory" of the game better, if you will. Although I would say Infinite and 1 are pretty much on par, but for different reasons
---
GT: Menace 117 PSN: Menace117
I would've liked to run tests on those seashells. - Mordin Solus
#6SkilzMCPosted 1/15/2014 5:57:04 PM
aj4x94 posted...
Infinite is so unbelievably dumbed down, that the original Bioshock can't possibly be called a watered down System Shock 2 anymore in comparison to this.

-No hacking
Oh no! No more boring unnecessary minigame that pulls you out of the action! *Tear*

-No moral choices
Ya, we really need more of that, because in Bioshock 1 the mechanic was so screwed up that if you didn't pick the good side and run with it from the start you would end up with a "bad" ending.

-Only one ending
Oh no! There's not multiple endings attatched to a shoehorned moral choice device in order to feign replayability. What a loss.

-Two weapon rule
Oh no! You're spending more time frantically fighting and less time fiddling with inventory!

-Vigors are boring compared to Plasmids
Opinions...

-Linear. Almost FFXIII linear
When did linearity become inherently bad?

---
"I wanted to buy a candle holder but the store didn't have one, so I bought a cake." -Mitch Hedberg
- GT Skillz MC
#7Dark_SpiretPosted 1/15/2014 6:01:28 PM
well lets get the easy one out of the way. Infinite has just as amazing presentation as the first. its soundtrack, writing, VO, art direction ect; is superb. Its story is very interesting, more so than bio1 as long as you dont think too hard on it. Its gameplay in terms of shooting is better theres a few other things are interesting, but as a whole its more simple than 1 or 2. its areas are smaller as well as options for explorations and your combat options are much more limited. Gameplay wise its definitely a step back in a lot of ways. Its still a good game tho provided you treat it like a more traditional shooter.

as far as Bio 2 im one of those who greatly prefers this one to the first or third game. The worst thing about this game is that yes it is basically more of the same. the world doesnt have that impact the first did. theres no amazing plot point and it reuses pretty much every asset.

that said its combat is improved with more options and a lot of much needed tweaks. its story is more methodical with characters that feel more realistic and not like cartoon super villains with these grandiose personas and its moral choices actually hold weight. 2's main villain while not as bombastic as Ryan i felt was a nice contrast to him and actually did things that made you hate them. Its pacing is also the opposite of the first game which was basically one big build up to a twist and what felt like a slog for the next half of the game afterwards up to a lackluster ending. 2's pacing is much improved with the final 1/3 building up to a better confrontation and a MUCH more emotional ending. Minervas Den is also quite possibly one of the best dlc's ever made. fantastic story and even more additional gameplay improvements. if you get 2 you NEED to try MD too.
---
Currently playing: Metal Gear Rising - Bioshock 2 - Skyrim
#8Max58201Posted 1/15/2014 6:07:39 PM
bio 2 was my favorite it had the best combat of the 3 and the last lv was one of the very few times I was on the edge of my seat unblinking at the awesomeness

3 to me while flashy the combat was too shallow and dumbed down and it seems about halfway through the game they gave up on trying to have a real story... also very short....worth a rent but not a buy...I was very disappointed with this game
---
Official Occult Iaito of the Dark Souls board.
I just wanted to raise his affection, NOT have him lick my nipples
#9Max58201Posted 1/15/2014 6:12:50 PM
and to further elaborate on the story being given up halfway through its basically 90% filler

it drove me crazy and it became a chore very quickly

we need to get this item.....oh no something happened time to take a long detour.....oh no its gone we now have to find this person....oh no something happened we now have to take a long detour again.....nope wrong person we have to find another person now....oh no something happened we have to take a long detour again.

I am not even exaggerating got to the point when a "detour" popped up I was just like come the **** on and let me finish the damn game
---
Official Occult Iaito of the Dark Souls board.
I just wanted to raise his affection, NOT have him lick my nipples
#10SheepinatorPosted 1/15/2014 6:13:10 PM
Regarding Infinite being so linear, I was expecting more of an open world since the skyline system was apparently inspired by Metroid Corruption and it was shown so prominently through to the games release. Aside from a scant few interesting combat encounters with it, it was mostly just for getting from one chapter to the next, and the world was empty except for bad guys. The Song Bird was also hyped a lot pre-release and it ended up being massively under-used too. I got the distinct feeling playing the game that it had been reigned in from earlier higher design goals to get it out the door, no surprise really given the high profile departures the year before it came out.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.