This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is something that is prevalent even in mainstream games you cannot stand?

#41Halo_ForeverPosted 1/24/2014 8:33:48 AM(edited)
MrMikeMa posted...
terrible stories.

even in some of these AAA games that are praised for having ground breaking, awesome stories.

Especially when they are trying to be all edgy and mature, but the only reason why anything bad happens is because the player character suddenly suffers from a burst stupidity or forgets everything they have in gameplay.

E.g. Batman Arkham Asylum could be solved with one bullet (as a note ADAM WEST's Batman, you know the Batman who carries shark-repellent spray, killed people when push came to shove, updating the world to grimdark but leaving Batman a 50's moron is jarring to say the least).

(This guy killed people, Arkham Batman doesn't)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLZQ3OLEJWE

Or when a person who has dedicated this quest/game/whatever to killing that one person, but then suddenly gets an injection of insta-mercy (which will bite me in the ass later) and lets that person live.

Spoilers to follow (Rockstar games, Atonement)

If you want to have a edgy game, then give me the tools to do it. Don't have Benedict Cybermuscle kill 800 people to get to Mutant Hitler only to then spare him because... I don't have any ****ing idea why (apart from having a villain in the sequel). Especially Rockstar which pretends to have edgy stories is the grand serial offender here, why is John Marston/Max Payne/ The Three Stooges/ Niko Bellic letting these people go again, after the n:th betrayal or atrocity.

If the answer is that would be unrealistic to kill them in cold blood, then I am wondering whether you happened to play the actual game.

As movies most game stories would be like watching "Atonement" but have the police holding Robbie back despite that the remainder of the movie had Robbie overpowering 30 guys easily (and then dying of scepticemia despite holding ridiculous amount of health potions that can heal anything).
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#42pothocketPosted 1/24/2014 8:27:54 AM
MrMikeMa posted...
terrible stories.

even in some of these AAA games that are praised for having ground breaking, awesome stories.

Or when games end on a cliff-hanger.

WTF, this isn't a TV show that I can watch next week for free. I paid $60 damn dollars for a complete game
#43Banana_ManaPosted 1/24/2014 8:28:55 AM
pothocket posted...
MrMikeMa posted...
terrible stories.

Or when games end on a cliff-hanger.

WTF, this isn't a TV show that I can watch next week for free. I paid $60 damn dollars for a complete game

Agreed.

I dislike cliffhangers in all forms of entertainment, but it hurts most in games.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com