This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Cutscene incompetence!

#1Halo_ForeverPosted 1/24/2014 7:49:15 AM
Does cutscene incompetence bother you in games? - Results (28 votes)
Yes
64.29% (18 votes)
No
35.71% (10 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Your character is the very avatar of war, effortlessly smacking away any opposition they meet along the way. Until the cutscene starts playing and a rogue regular squirrel disables you with a pine cone and you get captured (despite being smacked in the head with a CAR previously).

Does this annoy you in game stories?
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#2Banana_ManaPosted 1/24/2014 7:51:14 AM
I voted yes, but mean it in the opposite way. I hate it when your character is fighting their way (at length) through bad guys that take multiple hits to kill and then you come across a cutscene in which said character smiles someone to death (in slo-mo).
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
#3pothocketPosted 1/24/2014 8:00:29 AM
Just one of many many reason why no cutscenes, ever, should be in games.
#4Halo_Forever(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2014 8:14:17 AM
Banana_Mana posted...
I voted yes, but mean it in the opposite way. I hate it when your character is fighting their way (at length) through bad guys that take multiple hits to kill and then you come across a cutscene in which said character smiles someone to death (in slo-mo).

Got to ask were you thinking of Gears of War when you wrote that? I always groan when they kill Locusts with 2-3 Lancer bullets in the cutscenes.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#5Banana_ManaPosted 1/24/2014 8:15:58 AM
Halo_Forever posted...
Banana_Mana posted...

Got to ask were you thinking of Gears of War when you wrote that? I always groan when they kill Locusts with 2-3 Lancer bullets in the cutscenes.

No... Some of the Resident Evil games are really bad for it.

But, I notice it a lot in games... And it bugs me EVERY SINGLE TIME.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
#6simonbelmont2Posted 1/24/2014 8:20:50 AM
I find that stuff quite amusing and it's just another videogame trope. The one that cracks me up is when the hero in a game pulls out a weapon in a cutscene that doesn't appear in regular gameplay. Leon Kennedy's grapple hook from RE4 is a good example of this.
---
and when he crossed the bridge the phantoms came to meet him
#7simonbelmont2Posted 1/24/2014 8:21:48 AM
Banana_Mana posted...
Halo_Forever posted...
Banana_Mana posted...

No... Some of the Resident Evil games are really bad for it.

But, I notice it a lot in games... And it bugs me EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Yeah, that happens a lot in Resident Evil games.
---
and when he crossed the bridge the phantoms came to meet him
#8seankimberley42Posted 1/24/2014 8:45:39 AM
No. I don't want my character to die in one bullet while playing, or get attacked once by a zombie and lose. Just remember that, for the most part, what happens when you're actually playing isn't canon.
---
Twilight is like Soccer: 2 hours of people running around, no one scoring and millions of fans telling me I don't get it. - Maliice
#9pothocketPosted 1/24/2014 12:21:29 PM
seankimberley42 posted...
Just remember that, for the most part, what happens when you're actually playing isn't canon.

Sad but true. Hopefully this new gen will put the interactive back in interactive medium.

I'll tell you what's happening, game. Not the other way around.
#10DrakillionPosted 1/24/2014 12:32:41 PM
Yes, but not all the time. I usually go, "Woooow. Yup. Only in a cutscene!"

Probably one of my least favorite moments like that is in Lost Planet. Your character, Wayne Holden can regenerate like Wolverine as long as he has T-Energy. He can get stomped by 30 foot insects, gets shot in the head with mechanized sniper rifles, made into a tin can with lasers and survive countless explosions but when he gets shot in the knee with a basic pistol by the big bad in a cutscene and goes down with whimper, that's when I started to lose it.

The best part? I killed him w/o using a VS and solo'd him with just the Laser Rifle (Kinda forgot, it's the energy weapon that shoots out purple beams) and took multiple hits and lived from a mini-Gundam. WTH, man? xD

Also, I love those cutscenes where the bad guys are trying to capture you and all they do is attack one by one as they get 1-shoted while the others walk in circles looking pretty waiting for their turn.

Suspension of disbelief, I guess.
---
Adol Christin is like a honey badger. He is fearless, resistant to maladies, and simply does not give a ****. "I don't need no silver! GET OVER HERE!"