This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So how is everyone enjoying Dead Island?

#91blackhrtPosted 2/5/2014 4:48:30 AM
"So what did everyone think of Dead Island?"

Fixed.

Its a co-op game. going solo is whack. But that being said, don't expect much when you attempt the online for co-op.
---
"I live my life 3 videogames at a time. Nothing else matters. Not the mortgage, not my clan and their BS. For those 3 games or less, I'm free."
#92simonbelmont2Posted 2/5/2014 6:07:53 AM
mabber_III posted...
shawnmck posted...
HMXTaylor_Lee posted...
The biggest problem with the game is the level scaling.

I hate playing a game and getting "more powerful", although I'm only keeping pace with the enemies.

Vehicles doubled as a weapon at the beginning, but by the end, hitting a zombie with a level-scaled piece of wood does more damage than a full on ram with a vehicle.

It's still decently fun though. The city was great with all of the claustrophobic action.

^ You are completely missing the point of why zombies level...it is to provide a constant challenge throughout the game.
Borderlands does this very same thing, yet nobody complains about it.

The game is NOT about leveling up so that you can one-hit low-level zombies with a piece of wood and send it flying...that would be ass-backwards to what the purpose of the game was...which is to make a more realistic zombie game. If you became a total bad-ass that could easily kill zombies in one area, but have trouble killing the zombies in another area, then it would destroy the level of realism that the Developers were trying to create.
You become more bad-ass by applying points into skills, which will always give you an edge and make the issue less of a problem.
It would completely break the game if zombies didn't level with the character.

And again, Borderlands does this too...yet nobody complains about that.
So its perfectly okay if Borderlands does it, but is terrible if this game does it..?

Also keep in mind that there is a new game plus feature, which would be rendered moot if enemies didn't scale.
So if you don't like it, then go play something else.

And you are wrong about the cars doing less damage.
Let me guess...you just pulled that out of your ass..?

if they game isn't about leveling up, then it shouldn't have levels

I think what he meant is the game is not about leveling so the player becomes OP and can demolish every enemy easily. It is about leveling so you can take perks that enhance your skills without becoming too powerful. Some of the perks do help make killing zombies easier and quicker.

I can see what the devs were trying to do as they wanted to add a challenge to the game. They want the player to fear walking through the city where they can be mobbed and easily killed by zombies. For this reason the game works better in co op as you have allies to help you. Playing solo can be rather difficult.

The decision to allow zombies to level with the players does have its caveats though which have already been mentioned.
---
and when he crossed the bridge the phantoms came to meet him
#93lightfighterPosted 2/5/2014 6:15:35 AM
Meh...it's ok...
#94mabber_IIIPosted 2/5/2014 11:05:57 PM
simonbelmont2 posted...
mabber_III posted...
shawnmck posted...
HMXTaylor_Lee posted...

I hate playing a game and getting "more powerful", although I'm only keeping pace with the enemies.

Vehicles doubled as a weapon at the beginning, but by the end, hitting a zombie with a level-scaled piece of wood does more damage than a full on ram with a vehicle.

It's still decently fun though. The city was great with all of the claustrophobic action.

^ You are completely missing the point of why zombies level...it is to provide a constant challenge throughout the game.

The game is NOT about leveling up so that you can one-hit low-level zombies with a piece of wood and send it flying...that would be ass-backwards to what the purpose of the game was...which is to make a more realistic zombie game. If you became a total bad-ass that could easily kill zombies in one area, but have trouble killing the zombies in another area, then it would destroy the level of realism that the Developers were trying to create.
You become more bad-ass by applying points into skills, which will always give you an edge and make the issue less of a problem.

So its perfectly okay if Borderlands does it, but is terrible if this game does it..?

Also keep in mind that there is a new game plus feature, which would be rendered moot if enemies didn't scale.

I think what he meant is the game is not about leveling so the player becomes OP and can demolish every enemy easily. It is about leveling so you can take perks that enhance your skills without becoming too powerful. Some of the perks do help make killing zombies easier and quicker.

I can see what the devs were trying to do as they wanted to add a challenge to the game. They want the player to fear walking through the city where they can be mobbed and easily killed by zombies. For this reason the game works better in co op as you have allies to help you. Playing solo can be rather difficult.

The decision to allow zombies to level with the players does have its caveats though which have already been mentioned.

you can have perks without levels. the game just tacked on levels because that what all modern games do

it's got no identity of it's own
#95SlimfosterPosted 2/5/2014 11:17:05 PM
I enjoy the game and have fun online but since i dont have a mic i get kicked out alot
#96simonbelmont2Posted 2/6/2014 6:07:05 AM
mabber_III posted...
simonbelmont2 posted...
mabber_III posted...
shawnmck posted...
HMXTaylor_Lee posted...

you can have perks without levels. the game just tacked on levels because that what all modern games do

it's got no identity of it's own

Fair enough, tying perks to levels makes sense I think because it is a common formula that can work if implemented well. Sure, the game copied it from other games but that's not a bad thing if the formula works well. Unfortunately, DI's decision to add leveling is a mixed bag.
---
#97simonbelmont2Posted 2/6/2014 6:08:32 AM
Slimfoster posted...
I enjoy the game and have fun online but since i dont have a mic i get kicked out alot

I've been kicked a few times too probably for the same reason. I tend to often just play solo now and let people join me which happens quite often.
---
#98VonstrutaPosted 2/11/2014 1:55:33 PM
First group I joined had many modded weapons. I am currently using a revolver required level 1 with 28 billion rounds chambered, and can drop rams level 50 in one shot. It did take the challenge out alot, but if you hate that npcs level with you it is what I suggest to get that OP feeling. I beat the game in half a day on the 2cd play through solo this way.

I would suggest any who like that OP feel as you level to just mod weapons, and dupe with friends.