This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PSA: Never pre-order a game from a physical retail Microsoft Store

#1MrMagoichiPosted 2/7/2014 11:07:21 AM
Your $10 deposit is non-refundable. If you don't want the game anymore, your only options are to A) Cancel the order and let MS swallow the $10 B) Move the credit towards another game, but it must be within 30 days of the release date of the original game because you lose the $10 after that 30 day period C) Purchase and then return the game, at which point you'll still have to pay a 10% re-stocking fee, a fee which applies to the return of ANY game purchase at a physical retail Microsoft Store, pre-order or not.

Note: This does not apply to the MS online store. You can cancel pre-orders as you like online.
#2Ginsu VictimPosted 2/7/2014 12:23:38 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3fiasco86Posted 2/7/2014 12:26:39 PM
That's shady.
---
Check out the Game Conquerors on YouTube and let me know what you think! Constructive criticism welcome.
http://www.youtube.com/IveConqueredThatGame
#4Sipher360Posted 2/7/2014 12:32:43 PM
Hahaha...are you serious, TC? That's so damn unusual. I hope someone was lying to you and just didn't want to lose his preorder sale. I would hate to think that they are doing something so unorthodox. Weird.

Are you in the U.S.?
---
"Now senators are getting high....and your plan against the ghetto back-fired..."--Ice Cube
#5SheepinatorPosted 2/7/2014 12:47:52 PM
Does it clearly state on your receipt for the pre-order that it's non-refundable? Were you told up front this was the case or did they just take your money and send you on your way?

If so, yeah that's BS, and I'd never shop there.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#6MrMagoichi(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2014 12:55:41 PM
Sipher360 posted...
Hahaha...are you serious, TC? That's so damn unusual. I hope someone was lying to you and just didn't want to lose his preorder sale. I would hate to think that they are doing something so unorthodox. Weird.

Are you in the U.S.?

Yes US. I don't know if this affects other countries or not. Hope not lol.

Sheepinator posted...
Does it clearly state on your receipt for the pre-order that it's non-refundable? Were you told up front this was the case or did they just take your money and send you on your way?

If so, yeah that's BS, and I'd never shop there.

Well in my case they did staple a handout with all this information to my receipt but didn't actually inform me of it verbally as I have paying for it lol. It's only $10 but yeah, never shopping there again.
#7glassghost0Posted 2/7/2014 12:57:42 PM
"I would like to pre-order this game. Here's $10."

"Thank you sir, we'll look forward to seeing you when the game comes out."

"Oh I don't really want to buy the game. I'm just going to cancel this pre-order in a few days."
---
No Thanks
3DS FC: 3067-4989-8122
#8ARsignal11Posted 2/7/2014 1:06:10 PM
glassghost0 posted...

"Oh I don't really want to buy the game. I'm just going to cancel this pre-order in a few days."

Because people aren't allowed to change their minds.
#9glassghost0Posted 2/7/2014 1:07:14 PM
ARsignal11 posted...
glassghost0 posted...

Then this is a lesson for TC to just wait, instead of handing over money first.
---
No Thanks
3DS FC: 3067-4989-8122
#10MrMagoichi(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2014 1:17:02 PM
glassghost0 posted...
ARsignal11 posted...
glassghost0 posted...

Then this is a lesson for TC to just wait, instead of handing over money first.

Regardless of whether or not this is true on a personal level relating to only me as an individual, on a business and consumer rights level this policy is unfair and you know it. I receive nothing material for losing my $10 deposit. Pre-orders are conceptually based on "rarity" or a "limited quantity," so if that product is in fact not rare then there should be an option to cancel, period. If you want to say this was a dumb thing to do, I agree with you, but don't for a second suggest that the bucks stops with me and not with the policy of the business. As an individual, it might have been stupid, but as a consumer I should have the right to cancel without penalty. It's just bad business. Their competitors allow pre-orders to be canceled, so what is the incentive for me or any consumer to shop at MS Store over other retailers?