This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Has on-line gaming changed gaming for the better?

#21DrFeelgood1984Posted 2/10/2014 6:17:22 PM
It made gaming better for a short time. It's now worse for two reasons, DLC and patches. Now some games are released broken and patched into a playable state over the course of several months. Other games are chopped into pieces and sold to the players as "DLC" or with-held content.

If you released a broken game prior to the PS3/360 era, everyone just laughed at you and your broken piece of **** game. Now it's acceptable.
#22WinternovaPosted 2/10/2014 6:19:20 PM
Gamerguymass posted...
Don't bother. It is well known that the video game companies employee people for the sole purpose of posting on various message boards around the internet to be a corporate shill.

Then of course there are the corporate apologists who think the definition of capitalism is allowing a company to do whatever it wants, regardless of whether or not it's legal.

It's cute when people label those that disagree with their position "corporate shills". I'd also love to see where any video game company had engaged in an illegal practice (except for Nintendo, who has been proven to do so).
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#23JanayBerryPosted 2/10/2014 6:21:31 PM
That moment when you're mostly playing single-player but you STILL want to be signed-in.
---
PSN: Jim_Berry - http://psnprofiles.com/Jim_Berry
FFXIV: ARR - http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/3089119/
#24Dragon NexusPosted 2/10/2014 7:33:17 PM
Kurgan777 posted...
xliner posted...
Winternova posted...
Kurgan777 posted...
It's changed for the worse, singleplayer is an afterthought now, the developers focus all their efforts on multiplayer so they can get gamers hooked enough to buy the DLC packs to make even more money.

Why is that bad?

It isn't.

Rekoil Liberator.

No singleplayer at all, and the worst multiplayer FPS ever seen on a console.

Yes, it's bad.

Oh typical Stig argument.
Busting into a topic with a single topic on hand that barely relates to the original post, but dammit when else is he going to get to rant about this stuff? So he'll twist it and hammer it into the crack until it fits, but it soon springs back out and makes him look silly.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
#25RawketLawnchairPosted 2/10/2014 7:37:03 PM
i'm a single player gamer but i have no problem with online multiplayer

the underlying issue with it though is that it's short term. once the servers are down, no more game. i'm a big proponent of game preservation, i think it's a tragedy when 20+ years from now people won't be able to go back and experience games from the past like we are able to do now

any game that's downloadable only or doesn't feature any single player modes feels temporary, like a rental, and i don't like that idea
---
I live, I breathe hate
#26cifer520Posted 2/10/2014 8:29:26 PM
Yes, the internet pretty much makes everything better. Everyone can enjoy online co op, even solo enthusiasts. And for people who prefer more competition, playing against live humans is a unique challenge that AI will not be able to replicate for a long time.

Of course the suits in the industry will eventually find a way to exploit anything much like gamers do with glitches and oversights. And there are still single player only games being made, winning GOTY awards and selling like hotcakes.
#27SkilzMCPosted 2/10/2014 9:40:50 PM
Gamerguymass posted...

Don't bother. It is well known that the video game companies employee people for the sole purpose of posting on various message boards around the internet to be a corporate shill.

Either you are really good at sarcasm or completely out of your mind

Then of course there are the corporate apologists who think the definition of capitalism is allowing a company to do whatever it wants, regardless of whether or not it's legal.

Are you implying day one DLC is somehow illegal?

I know someone will just say well don't buy it, and I don't. The majority of us don't buy DLC. But the company still makes some money from it. So in this case the minority is ruining gaming for the majority by having single player games ruined by multiplayer and DLC being shoved in everywhere.

Maybe i'm just a sane person that understands that corporations are there to make money, but you vote with your wallet and if you don't like something, you do have the power to change things. (Just look at EA and the repealing of their online pass program)

I also I find it incredibly hard to believe that the DLC and multiplayer are "ruining" the your single player experience. Let's take a look at some ofthe great single player experience released in 2013 alone

Metro Last Light
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Tomb Raider
Rayman Legends
Beyond Two Souls
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Saints Row IV
DMC
The Last of Us
Bioshock Infinite
GTA V

Yeah, it's rough out there for the fans of single player experiences.

---
"I wanted to buy a candle holder but the store didn't have one, so I bought a cake." -Mitch Hedberg
- GT Skillz MC
#28Kurgan777Posted 2/10/2014 10:32:37 PM
Winternova posted...
Gamerguymass posted...

It's cute when people label those that disagree with their position "corporate shills". I'd also love to see where any video game company had engaged in an illegal practice (except for Nintendo, who has been proven to do so).

Sony, guilty of using tech without paying the licensing fees.

Sony, putting people out of business just for selling their product.

Sony, illegal vandalism used as an advertising tactic.

Sony, illegal RootKit trojans stealth installing onto people's computers disabling hardware.

Sony, guilty of Payola in the music industry.

Microsoft, ongoing antitrust practices in multiple countries.

Just about every game development house who has ever sent out expensive swag as a bribe to influence game review scores. The most recent of which are the developers of LocoCycle, using as much bribery as possible to cover the HUGE amount of money they wasted developing a game that looks like last gen trash, and hiring famous actors as well as having 2 real custom bikes made costing in the 6 figure range combined.
---
What's the purpose in owning a Grenade Launcher?
The sheer inability to continue life without it ! ! !
#29JacobCurnowPosted 2/10/2014 10:51:10 PM
I think it's about the same...
#30Tyronelio1Posted 2/10/2014 11:09:05 PM
Kurgan777 posted...
It's changed for the worse, singleplayer is an afterthought now, the developers focus all their efforts on multiplayer so they can get gamers hooked enough to buy the DLC packs to make even more money.

Bethesda game studios, obsidian, cd project red, square, the devs behind spec ops, ninja theory, bioware, Ubisoft Montreal, twisted pixel, volition, united front games, from software.

just a handfull of known devs who focus on single player experience over multiplayer and have multiplayer either integrated (leaderboards for example) into the single player experience.

and to the tc,i think its bitter sweet, some online gaming has bought players together and formed friendships and all, but some games just have it thrown in there because the publisher thinks it what people want not the dev. (spec ops I'm looking at you)
---
GT: Tyron3L1o
"Men do not cry for themselves, but for their comrades" - Sephiroth.