This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the Goldeneye 007 remake just as good as the N64 original?

#1Jedi454Posted 2/17/2014 5:42:49 AM
The game came out a few years ago and slipped under the radar, I quite enjoyed the original on N64, but how's this one hold up against it?
---
The Xbox One board should be renamed to the Official "Troll Here" board.
#2stawg007Posted 2/17/2014 5:49:16 AM
I'm pretty sure it's a sequel of some kind and not a remake

Could be wrong though
#3Kerr AvonPosted 2/17/2014 7:17:41 AM
There are almost no similarities between the games Goldeneye N64 and GoldenEye 007 (XBox 360/PS3), sadly. The N64 game was going to be ported to the XBox 360 (and some fantastic screenshots were even released of the port), but for some reason the port was abandoned*, and Rare dropped the idea. The only way to play the N64 game Goldeneye is either on a real N64 or on an N64 emulator, it's never been released/ported to any other machine.

Anyway, Activision bought the rights to make James Bond games, and did what EA did a few years before, which was to release a game with the name Goldeneye (EA called it Goldeneye: Rogue Agent) so as to confuse people into thinking it was either the brilliant N64 game but on a modern machine, or that it was a sequel to the N64 classic. But it's actually a Call of Duty game set in the Bond universe - same weapon carrying limit, same reachargeable health, same constant onscreen prompts every time you can pick up a weapon or open a door or press a button, etc.

Activision claim the game is based on the film Goldeneye, as the N64 game is, so that way Activision managed to put in a few similarities to the N64 game, such as starting on the damn level, It's not a terrible game, I think, just average, but gameplay-wise it has nothing in common with the N64 game, which is still fantastic (to this day, Goldeneye N64 is my second favourite game (after Perfect Dark) and I still play it regularly, though if you go back to it now, Jedi454, you'll find the frame-rate awful until you get used to it).

BTW, do you have Perfect Dark (the XBLA game, not the mediocre Perfect Dark Zero)? PD was the sort of follow up to Goldeneye N64 (nothing to do with the Bond universe, it's science fiction, but gameplay wise it's very similar to Goldeneye) and is superb, and the XBox 360 port is very good too. Be warned that it's old school, so it doesn't hold your hands unlike modern FPSs, so you sometimes have to explore to locate your objectives, and there are no health packs or recharging health, you have to complete each mission within the health you start with.
---
I'm a PC and console gamer - I love good games, regardless of their host system.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/
#4pothocketPosted 2/17/2014 8:00:20 AM
False marketing, it's not a remake. Don't support that level of developer shenanigans.
#5ZuuFPosted 2/17/2014 8:55:52 AM
It's the modern FPS for old-school gamers. It's a great game that people immediately compare to Call of Duty, sadly. Get the Wii version, because there are actually online for that system (with some hackers; XP hacks are helpful because leveling is more than just a grind).
---
True Christianity is a lifestyle, not a religion. Learn it; live it.
I think I'm indecisive, but I'm not sure. I make every topic I post in 20% cooler.
#6BlueJester007Posted 2/17/2014 9:16:13 AM
It's s***. Don't bother. You're better off playing the Perfect Dark remake on XBLA.
---
I don't like Lara Croft's new look.
#7ThePylonPosted 2/17/2014 9:18:06 AM
I thought its more like call of goldeneye then goldeneye.
---
I play too many different games to even care.
#8LandonioPosted 2/17/2014 10:07:35 AM
HELL no, but as a standalone shooter w/o the GoldenEye name, it's surprisingly not that bad.
---
Chuck
#9ssj5goku2005Posted 2/17/2014 10:11:41 AM
Kerr Avon posted...
It's not a terrible game, I think, just average

This kinda sums it up perfectly...gameplay wise it's very generic and may as well been called Call of Bond: 007 Warfare...but it's great for a rent if you're a fan of the movies, as it will at least hold your attention until you beat the campaign
---
not changing this sig until i feel like it - started 6.23.2009
#10glassghost0Posted 2/17/2014 10:14:13 AM
It is a re-imagining of the game.

You'll recognize locations and stuff but overall it's not the same game.

But.....

It's actually quite a good game. Especially if you like stealth games.

I can't believe Reloaded was actually decent and 007 Legends took like 10 steps backwards
---
No Thanks
3DS FC: 3067-4989-8122