This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can anyone tell me where to start with these series?

#1_-Dante-_Posted 3/12/2014 12:38:36 AM
I want to get into Ninja Gaiden, Onimusha and Silent Hill, but I have no idea whether or not there are spin-offs, important titles without numbers, or if it's a series with a bunch of games, whether or not I'll have to play them all to get the plot, or if they're all just standalone, so thank you in advance to whoever can help me out with this.
---
Though a fight every now and then makes life a little more interesting, don't ya think?
#2Jedi454Posted 3/12/2014 12:59:08 AM
Ninja Gaiden on the NES
Onimusha: Warlords on Ps2 or Xbox
Silent Hill on Ps1
---
The Xbox One board should be renamed to the Official "Troll Here" board.
#3CaIiber345Posted 3/12/2014 1:13:05 AM
On the original NES you have:

Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 3

All three are worth a playthrough if you're into retro games or want to relive some classics. They are still hard games to me! I honestly don't remember the stories, other than Ryu Hyabusa avenging his father's death as the plot of the first game.

On Xbox/Xbox 360:

Ninja Gaiden (Xbox title that works on 360, and there is a special edition called Ninja Gaiden Black which features altered missions and world structure that were called Hurricane Packs. I have NGB downloaded digitally, but I don't know if it's still available. On PS3 it is called Ninja Gaiden Sigma, I believe, with enhanced graphics. Series creators have said the modern games are prequels to the original NES games and can be considered one continuum.)

Ninja Gaiden 2 (Xbox 360)
Ninja Gaiden 3 (Xbox 360)

Ninja Gaiden/Black for OG Xbox/360 is considered one of the hardest action games ever, and features very fluid and dynamic gameplay. The series plummets from there; NG2 isn't horrible, but it's just not as engaging as NG/B. NG3 is an even further departure from the challenging action mechanics of the other games.

I hope this helps, and I'm sure hardcore series fans will politely correct my errors. :)
---
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9slheCJkK1rcrscgo1_500.gif
Waiting for: No Man's Sky, The Witness, Mercenary Kings, Destiny
#4Halo_ForeverPosted 3/12/2014 8:11:10 AM
_-Dante-_ posted...
I want to get into Ninja Gaiden, Onimusha and Silent Hill, but I have no idea whether or not there are spin-offs, important titles without numbers, or if it's a series with a bunch of games, whether or not I'll have to play them all to get the plot, or if they're all just standalone, so thank you in advance to whoever can help me out with this.

For Ninja Gaiden the story is completely meaningless, they are played for the gameplay or not at all. Despite what Caliber said the games are quite approachable on Acolyte (Easy) or Warrior (Normal). They won't allow you to play dumb, though.

Ninja Gaiden / Black
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 3
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge

I'd say that Black or 2 is a decent place to start. If you like them and want to get more get Razor's Edge rather than the standard variant (it is a lot better).
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#5_-Dante-_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2014 9:01:32 AM
Thanks for the quick responses!

So, if I'm getting this right, Black and/or Sigma are remakes of the first NG, and Razor's Edge is an altered version of 3?
---
Though a fight every now and then makes life a little more interesting, don't ya think?
#6Harold_RamisPosted 3/12/2014 9:20:29 AM(edited)
yes that's true

for onimusha just 1,2,3. blade warriors is a bad smash ripoff, dawn of dreams isn't part of the main story and tactics is an srpg for gba. I played through them recently and still thought they were a lot of fun.

I forgot there was an update of onimusha 1 for xbox called genma onimusha. I think it makes the gameplay more like 2 an adds some new stuff. might want to go with that version. it I don't know much about it

for silent hill just play them in release order. there is a remake of 1 for ps2/wii that's totally different. I think reaction was pretty mixed. there is also a 0 for psp/ps2 but you don't need to play it first. also I should say there is very little story continuity between games (that I am aware of) besides 1 and 3 so it doesn't really matter what order you do. I don't think much after 3 is supposed to be all that good but some people seem to like 4
#7_-Dante-_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2014 3:19:26 PM
Ah, so there's just 1-3 for NG and Yaiba which is after 3, and since Silent Hill is mostly standalone so it doesn't matter, which would you recommend as the best game? And is Dawn of Dreams any good? If so, when should I play it in terms of continuity?

I think those are all the questions I have left, thanks for being so detailed!
---
#8Harold_RamisPosted 3/12/2014 3:23:07 PM
people usually say silent hill 2 is the best. it's all story driven of course.

I think dawn of dreams is a prequel but it came out after the other 3. I think usually when series do that they expect you've played the other games in the series already though
#9_-Dante-_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2014 3:53:09 PM
Ah, so I'll play 1-3 of Silent Hill and see how it goes I guess

That was all the questions I had, I'm surprised I got answers so quick, thanks again!
---
#10Kurgan777Posted 3/12/2014 6:23:03 PM
If you're going to play the modern Ninja Gaiden games, go with the regular version of NG1 for the original XBox. Play through that first, then play the Black edition. The Black edition is for people who like to torture themselves. The boss battles had most of their tells and predictable patterns changed or totally removed so they're hard as f*** to fight, especially that b**** known as Alma.

Ignore NG2, and both versions of NG3, they screwed them up so badly they're not worth playing.
---
What's the purpose in owning a Grenade Launcher?
The sheer inability to continue life without it ! ! !