This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can anyone tell me where to start with these series?

#11RE2LeonSPosted 3/12/2014 8:04:22 PM
Silent Hill and Silent Hill 3 are directly related
Silent Hill 2 is a stand alone but is known to be the best in the series
Silent Hill 4 might as well be considered a spin-off since it really has nothing to do with the series
Silent Hill Origins is supposed to take place before the first Silent Hill (obvious to the Origins title) but I would consider it a spin off since it started off on a handheld and was later ported to PS2
Silent Hill Homecoming and Downpour and also kind of spin-offs titles that have hints and references to the other games in the series.

Then there's some crappy Silent Hill on the Wii called Shattered Memories that is supposed to be a reimagining of the first Silent Hill. There is also a co-op based Silent Hill on PSVita called Book of Memories which is another throw away title that shouldn't be bothered with.
---
My views on DLC, if it takes longer for me to work to pay for it than actually play it, it's not worth it. Don't buy Capcom games! GamerTag - RE2LeonS
#12andri_gPosted 3/13/2014 11:51:41 AM(edited)
To summarize, events in the Silent Hill universe are explained through the games as follows:

Main story (in this order):
- SH5 "0rigins"
- SH1; re-imagined as SH7 "Shattered Memories"
- SH3

Spin-offs (in any order):
- SH2 "Restless Dreams"
- SH4 "The Room"
- SH6 "Homecoming"
- SH8 "Downpour"

SH1 through 5 are traditional "avoid, fight when cornered, run otherwise" survival-horror games.
SH7 is mostly a "run, don't fight" game.
SH6 and 8 are more action based games (if you choose, you can stay and fight back).
#13_-Dante-_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2014 4:54:16 PM
Oh, in that case, would it be better to play Shatter Memories instead of 1, or is it one of those typical bad horror modernizations?

Oh and while I'm here, I left out Kingdom Hearts, I know there's several non-numbered spin-offs that span quite a few consoles?
---
Though a fight every now and then makes life a little more interesting, don't ya think?
#14andri_gPosted 3/14/2014 5:01:10 PM
_-Dante-_ posted...
Oh, in that case, would it be better to play Shatter Memories instead of 1, or is it one of those typical bad horror modernizations?

SM has a few interesting mechanics to it: psychological profiling (game play changes according to your responses and actions), enemy swarming and shake-off, and a cell phone/camera for hearing call message details and viewing scenes of previous events that happened nearby.

Unfortunately, SM also replaces or excludes some of the key things that the series was built around. It's not bad, but it tries to explain the world of SH a lot differently than the other SH games; IMO, play the other SH games first.

ibid ...
Oh and while I'm here, I left out Kingdom Hearts, I know there's several non-numbered spin-offs that span quite a few consoles?

I'm not into KH, but some of my relatives are. AFAIK, the KH story timeline is as follows:

Birth By Sleep (Final Mix **)
Re: Chain of Memories *
I (Final Mix *)
358/2 Days *
II (Final Mix **)
Re: Coded **
3D: Dream Drop Distance +
III ***

Notes:
+ for 3DS (2012)
* included in HD 1.5 Remix for PS3 (2013)
** included in HD 2.5 ReMIX for PS3 (2014)
*** for PS4 and XBox One (2014)

[I found a fan-made KH timeline chart image that seems to confirm this order:
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/243/3/d/kingdom_hearts_storyline_by_sora21-d48goyd.jpg]
#15_-Dante-_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/14/2014 6:56:23 PM
Ah, so I guess I'll just do the traditional 1-3 for SH

Does it matter if I play the KH games in chronological or release order? I tend to go through release order so that playing the next game doesn't feel like a downgrade, and in case of the plot assuming I played other games
---
Though a fight every now and then makes life a little more interesting, don't ya think?
#16sonic51489Posted 3/15/2014 6:57:10 AM
Always play in release order. ALWAYS.
---
Rikkka66: It's such a pain chasing after a burning medic while screaming "Come back! I need to blow you!" into the mic.
#17andri_gPosted 3/15/2014 9:42:13 AM
All of the KH games, except for 3D and III, in the 1.5 and 2.5 remix releases will have received an HD up-resolution treatment. Visually speaking, none of these games should feel like a downgrade.

IMO, if you have a PS3, the remix releases are your best option.
#18EnigmaGamerPosted 3/15/2014 9:47:21 AM(edited)
play the new release order for KH, not the old one since that's what Nomura is expecting now.

That would be KH1, CoM(either version would work, but Re;CoM plays a lot better), Days, KH2, BBS, Coded, DDD. KH2 spoils more of Days than Days would spoil from KH2, but the original order assumed you'd play 2 before Days.
#19_-Dante-_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2014 9:58:36 AM
Got it, I'll probably do that then

Thank you all very much :)
---
#20_-Dante-_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2014 11:49:33 PM
I didn't know SH1 was only on PS1... Lol I guess I'll either watch an LP or play SM
---