This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you enjoy mini games in games?What ones are your favorites, and any you hate?

#1JoboHotepPosted 3/22/2014 8:40:42 AM
80/80

As we know, some mini games in games are hit and miss. Personally, I really enjoyed the hacking mini game in the first Bioshock. It wasn't overly complicated, and seem to kind of fit the atmosphere of the environment of Rapture.

On the other end of the spectrum for me was the lock picking mini game in Oblivion. Like the hacking mini game in Bioshock, I felt the lock picking mini game fit the fantasy environment of Tamriel, however there was nothing even remotely fun about it for me.

Sure, I got used to it enough to complete it successfully, but I always loathed playing it, which unfortunately, ended up being quite often.

So, are there any mini games in games you found surprisingly enjoyable, or any that stand out to you due to your irritation or hatred of them?
---
If I don't meet you no more in this world then uh, I'll meet ya on the next one..And don't be late- Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Child
#2Jamin-7Posted 3/22/2014 8:42:52 AM
Yes and no, obviously it depends on the game.

Good:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - hacking minigame

Bad:

Mercenaries 2's series of QTE to hijack vehicles.
---
"Hmm... your architecture isn't much different from the Autumn's..."
"Don't get any funny ideas."
#3joegt123Posted 3/22/2014 8:51:14 AM
Worst: blitzball. Holy ****. I hated blitzball so much. Horrible, horrible game that had no business being in final fantasy.

Cant think of any i particularly enjoyed. I like the concept of having something unrelated in a game, but it's so seldom that it's done well. And then you have ones that, regardless of how well it's done, just doesnt fit in the game. Like slide puzzles in Alice or ****ing pachinko in CASTLEVANIA.
---
"It was not for quiet complacence he was given the name of 'Thunder God'."
Currently Playing: Too damn many things at the same bloody time... (25+)
#4ryanrolainPosted 3/22/2014 10:07:26 AM
I like proper mini games that are a little game within a game as long as they're done well like the pool and arcade machines in gta. QTE and things like lockpicking in games is a game mechanic not a mini game, although again if done properly I have no problem with them.
#5old_school227Posted 3/22/2014 10:22:07 AM
I kept playing final fantasy 8 just so i could continue progressing in the card game.
---
It's free to play after you buy it. That's F2P genius. ~ Brutal_Felix
#6JoboHotep(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2014 10:28:15 AM
Jamin-7 posted...
Yes and no, obviously it depends on the game.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - hacking minigame

That reminds me, I have Deus Ex: HR in my backlog. I might have to bump it up to the top of the list.
---
If I don't meet you no more in this world then uh, I'll meet ya on the next one..And don't be late- Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Child
#7JoboHotep(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2014 10:31:01 AM
old_school227 posted...
I kept playing final fantasy 8 just so i could continue progressing in the card game.

I had a lot of fun with that one also. I still have most of my PS1 games, unfortunately my FF8 was among the casualties from a home burglary. :(

I might have to get another copy, I'd like to play it again.
---
#8MertensCWPosted 3/22/2014 10:41:03 AM(edited)
Enjoy - Arcadey type stuff. The Bee game in GTA:SA, the arcade in FF7 ,etc.

Hate - card games, FF8, Xenosaga,etc. RDR card games , so as to be clear its not just for made up games full of nonsense.
---
Few Favorites- Ninja gaiden 1-2, Colony Wars 1-3,Xenogears,MarioKart,Lunar 2 GTA:SA,S&K,FF6-7,Zanac,S.Metroid,SMB2,NFL2K5,Halo 2, NG2,Vanquish,Witcher 2.
#9JoboHotep(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2014 10:42:39 AM
MertensCW posted...
Enjoy - Arcadey type stuff. The Bee game in GTA:SA, the arcade in FF7 ,etc.

Hate - card games, FF8, Xenosaga,etc. RDR card games , so as to be clear its not just for made games full of nonsense.

Normally, I'm ok with card games in games (they can be hit or miss), but the exception for me is that Caravan game in Fallout: New Vegas.

Man, I'm still wrapping my head around that one. Maybe it will be more fun when I understand it better.
---
#10darkharePosted 3/22/2014 11:01:07 AM
playing horse shoes in rdr, best part of the whole damn game.