This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you enjoy mini games in games?What ones are your favorites, and any you hate?

#31darkharePosted 3/25/2014 11:16:12 AM
Xeroxicide posted...
I loved Liar's Dice in RDR. I had never heard of it before and I've actually played it with real dice with friends since playing it in the game.

can be a fun gambling game, what you and your friends bet?

#32pothocketPosted 3/25/2014 11:40:34 AM
I'm surprised people enjoyed the hacking mini-game from Bioshock. It was fine the first couple times and was just tedious for the rest of the game.

That's the problem with hacking mini-games. They have to find that balance between being simple while engaging and no game seems to get it right. The game that probably pulled it off with the most success is ME2, and that's only because they had 3 different types of hacking mini-games.
---
http://i.imgur.com/L2ASIya.gif
http://i.imgur.com/5hUcbcx.gif
#33LuminousSparkPosted 3/25/2014 11:50:10 AM
GTA4: Bowling

GTA5: Golf
#34JoboHotep(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2014 12:20:19 PM
Ginsu Victim posted...
fiasco86 posted...
Because of the omitted space?

Yep.

Agreed. Did it just because I could.
---
If I don't meet you no more in this world then uh, I'll meet ya on the next one..And don't be late- Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Child
#35SeekAndDestroy2Posted 3/25/2014 12:31:45 PM
I love all the minigames in RAGE, especially the card one. I don't know if I'll get flak for this, but I also really like the sex minigames in the God of War games, I think they are hilarious.
---
PSN & GT: darkstar5577
#36JoboHotep(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2014 1:14:11 PM
pothocket posted...
I'm surprised people enjoyed the hacking mini-game from Bioshock. It was fine the first couple times and was just tedious for the rest of the game.

That's the problem with hacking mini-games. They have to find that balance between being simple while engaging and no game seems to get it right. The game that probably pulled it off with the most success is ME2, and that's only because they had 3 different types of hacking mini-games.

I can totally see why people wouldn't like the hacking mini game in Bioshock. I'm not even sure why I enjoyed it, it just kinda clicked with me, so I ended up having fun with it.
---
If I don't meet you no more in this world then uh, I'll meet ya on the next one..And don't be late- Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Child
#37orangeneePosted 3/25/2014 1:27:27 PM
fiasco86 posted...
Kurgan777 posted...
orangenee posted...
Minigames I don't like are things like lockpicking, hacking, anything that's effectively put in as an obstacle. I like my minigames optional.

Lockpicking is not a mini-game, it's part of the main game that contributes to realism, especially in the Splinter Cell games or any other sneaking stealth game, you're not going to sneak into a secured facility and find unlocked doors everywhere just because there's security on the outside.

Its so-called "contribution to realism" doesn't change the fact that lock picking is often implemented as a mini-game. If it brings you into a lock picking simulation, it's a mini-game. The alternative would be to just have you walk up to the door and push a button to watch an animation of the character picking the lock. Anything more is a mini-game.

Sidenote: Are there any games where lock picking or electronics hacking mini-games are in real-time (i.e. you can be noticed by enemies while performing said action)?

Yes, in Deus Ex:HR you can be caught and shot at whilst hacking......which you do a lot of.
---
Peace has cost you your strength, victory has defeated you.
GT/PSN:Hellsteeth30
#38PelicanDynastyPosted 3/26/2014 4:39:24 PM
IamBobNewbie posted...
Please tell me I'm not the only person on planet Earth that actually really enjoyed Blitzball?

Blitzball was awesome.

Some other good ones would be the board games in AC IV and the golfing range from GTA IV.

And would the old Sid Meier games count? Pirates and Covert Action were just a bunch of minigames combined to form a bigger game, but they were fantastic.