This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So, whats the final thought on Dark Souls 2?

#1ZDT_LeaderPosted 3/25/2014 9:58:29 PM
I'm thoroughly enjoying MGS V right now but it is kinda short.

Im a big DS fan but i wont be getting dark souls 2 til it hits 40. So as a fan of the first.. How does it compare?
---
LoL IGN/Gamertag: Zerochronic
R.I.P Mom..Aug 30th, 2007
#2nickoman33Posted 3/25/2014 9:59:53 PM
Great, needs a little work on pvp (stunlocks, phantom hits), but it's really good.
#3chizzaroidPosted 3/25/2014 10:06:26 PM
So far I'm having a blast. It's more Dark Souls and not much has changed from that. So far my only gripe is that I feel like the game is trying to throw a ton of enemy's at you for difficulty, rather than give you challenging opponents. Maybe it changes later though, as I'm only about 50% in so far.
---
GT: Chizzatron
PSN: Chizzamatic
#4mewmew42Posted 3/25/2014 11:36:02 PM
If you're a fan it's definitely worth it, but it might be easier due to familiarity with the series in the past

Fromsoft seem to be more direct & clear about the lore/story

I'm having fun exploring the world.world design not as interconnected/smart as original, but seems like too many open areas to explore

But if you compare this to any games out there, imo it trumps them all
#5Tyronelio1Posted 3/25/2014 11:42:12 PM
It feels like a dumbed down version.
---
GT: Tyron3L1o
I don't know what's worse, company fanboys or kojima fanboys? One thing is for certain, they are most definitely the definition of a neckbeard.
#6da_StoOgePosted 3/26/2014 12:21:42 AM
It's good, but there's a few things that I don't love.
There seems to be far too many bonfires for one, and once you unlock one you can fast travel to it, so it makes the sections between bonfires redundant once you've found all the items in them.

Normally I just wouldn't fast travel, but that brings me to my next issue: you have to level up at the HUB area.
It means that unless I want to walk across the entire world each time I'm pretty much forced to fast travel. Add in 30 second load times, one each way, and it just wastes a minute every time I want to level up.

The other issue is the graphics. There are far too many bland areas and the game is filled with large sections of landscape that have the same postage stamp sized texture repeated a billion times.
It's kind of cool in a retro way, as it reminds me of PS2 games like SoTC (obviously DkS2 looks much better though), but one of the reasons I lived the series was the amazing art style, and DkS2 isn't as strong as past games.

BUT, I've enjoyed every minute of the 60 hours I've put into it. It's still one if the best games I e played all gen, so while it has problems, I'm more than happy with it.
---
My sig. Please don't mark it as being offensive.
#7NemerlightPosted 3/26/2014 2:42:12 AM
Great game. Better than first one in every way and they even tried to add some story this time around. More bonfires means less pointless walking which is great too.
---
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is the best PC game of 2012.
#8DuwstaiPosted 3/26/2014 4:40:40 AM
Im loving it. But its definitely very unpolished and it looks somehow worse than Dark 1 (probably demons too)
---
balls
#9Dark_SpiretPosted 3/26/2014 5:34:45 AM
id say its probably the worst of the 3 souls games for me. however that doesnt mean its bad. mechanics wise its the best. lots of small changes i really like that really helps to improve the experience. its sense of exploration and discovery is as good as ever and its art direction is extremely varied. TONS of content as well. its one of those games thats worth every penny of that $60 price tag.

as far the bad, im not a fan of the world design this time around. they try to do a mix of demons hub world with darks open world and it makes the whole thing feel less connected with FAR more bonfires and overly generous fast travel system. Tons more bosses, but most feel like fodder and the music overall doesnt feel as memorable as it was in the past games. Theres also a lot of little cut corners here and there in terms of tech with some lazy as hell texture work in places. Frame rate wise its a lot better than DaS1 tho with no area that dips as badly as Izalith, blightown or the dark forest.

that said its still the best game iv played so far this year. Even the worst in this series is better than most.
---
Currently playing: Darksiders - MGS5: Ground Zeros - Dark Souls 2
#10simonbelmont2Posted 3/26/2014 5:36:11 AM
It's good and fans of the series should definitely give it a go.
---
and when he crossed the bridge the phantoms came to meet him