This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

newly announced 100$ Collector's Edition of a game.... WITHOUT THE GAME!!!

#21Dragon NexusPosted 3/28/2014 8:07:37 AM
Winternova posted...
It's a brilliant idea, as the collector's editions aren't tied to a specific console - you don't have 1000 PC units, 1000 Xbox 360 units, 1000 PS3 units, 1000 Xbox One units, and 1000 PS4 units, you just have 5000 collector's editions into which the buyer can insert the game for the platform of their choice. It's actually quite intelligent!

Ehhhhh, sure. I can go along with that idea.
but you KNOW this will be abused. I hate to sound like Stig here, but these "good ideas" are always twisted into money making schemes sooner or later so that eventually the price we pay now for a special edition will be the price we continue to pay, but the game isn't included.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
#22WinternovaPosted 3/28/2014 9:00:03 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...
Ehhhhh, sure. I can go along with that idea.
but you KNOW this will be abused. I hate to sound like Stig here, but these "good ideas" are always twisted into money making schemes sooner or later so that eventually the price we pay now for a special edition will be the price we continue to pay, but the game isn't included.

The problem is that there's no MSRP set for a "special edition" - they're usually tied into the cost of the components. Therefore the danger that the prices will remain "the same" but the games won't be included is quite minimal. This strategy is actually quite smart, from a business point of view: the publisher is selling the collector's editions directly to consumers and the consumers don't have to wait for the publisher to ship the extra components to play the game. It's a win-win scenario and any fears are due to a slippery slope fallacy.

Mocking the idea just shows that the vast majority of people don't have a modicum of business sense, despite the fact that they think they know how best to run every business they encounter.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#23Solid SonicPosted 3/28/2014 9:22:27 AM(edited)
DyingPancake posted...
That was from two days ago. You don't have to pay for the game separately

The product listing reads: "This collector's edition does not include a copy of the game. Keep your pre-order at your favourite retailer and we'll send you these goodies separately - this way we can ship these boxes worldwide and you're not stuck waiting for your game to come along with an oversized, expensively shipped box."

I will continue to claim that this is the moment gaming has died.

EDIT: Actually I went to the site and it doesn't imply that anywhere. That still sounds like ordering the game and ordering the CE are separate matters.

They aren't giving you a $60 rebate for buying the CE box so you have to pay $60 for the game at a store and then $100 to Bethesda for the CE.

POST-EDIT: Okay I SORT of understand what's going on here, though the rationale is still very weird. Basically you're voluntarily adding the CE to your purchase if you so desire.

Though for me buying the CE items separately from the game itself hardly makes me feel like they're attached to the game. It's almost like supplementary material that's just bundled together.
---
Just because you have reasons for disliking a game doesn't mean you are justified in doing so. Those reasons might be lame.
#24glassghost0Posted 3/28/2014 9:20:50 AM
Solid Sonic posted...
DyingPancake posted...

The product listing reads: "This collector's edition does not include a copy of the game. Keep your pre-order at your favourite retailer and we'll send you these goodies separately - this way we can ship these boxes worldwide and you're not stuck waiting for your game to come along with an oversized, expensively shipped box."

EDIT: Actually I went to the site and it doesn't imply that anywhere. That still sounds like ordering the game and ordering the CE are separate matters.

They aren't giving you a $60 rebate for buying the CE box so you have to pay $60 for the game at a store and then $100 to Bethesda for the CE.

No you don't
---
New User (3) - Awarded to users with at least 25 Karma.
3DS FC: 3067-4989-8122
#25DyingPancakePosted 3/28/2014 9:27:15 AM(edited)
Solid Sonic posted...
DyingPancake posted...

POST-EDIT: Okay I SORT of understand what's going on here, though the rationale is still very weird. Basically you're voluntarily adding the CE to your purchase if you so desire.

Though for me buying the CE items separately from the game itself hardly makes me feel like they're attached to the game. It's almost like supplementary material that's just bundled together.

If you buy the collectors edition you get the game. You just have to pick it up separately at the store or whatever

You're not paying more for the game. You buy the collectors edition and get everything

I don't see how this means "gaming has died" when all they're doing is making sure you get the game faster
---
Under a cold October sky, I wait
Number of deer shot this year: 1
#26WinternovaPosted 3/28/2014 9:26:01 AM
Solid Sonic posted...

And you will continue to be totally and completely wrong.

Solid Sonic posted...
That still sounds like ordering the game and ordering the CE are separate matters.

They are. Those collector's editions aren't going to be cheap or fast to ship. That Panzerhund figure is quite large.

http://store.bethsoft.com/media/catalog/product/cache/23/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/g/a/game-ce-wolf-neworder-panzerhund-scale.jpg
---
#27WinternovaPosted 3/28/2014 9:27:36 AM
DyingPancake posted...
If you buy the collectors edition you get the game. You just have to pick it up separately at the store or whatever

No, you don't. If you're buying the collector's edition, you're getting all of the bonuses but you're not paying ANYTHING towards the game. To get the game, you'll have to pay over and above the $100 that's being charged for the collector's items.
---
#28Dragon NexusPosted 3/28/2014 12:49:06 PM
Winternova posted...
It's a win-win scenario and any fears are due to a slippery slope fallacy.

I dunno about slippery-slope, it's more from-experience.
A lot of the really good ideas this gen have been twisted by one company or another into something perverse. DLC becomming a way to strip mine a finished game to gain more money than usual, like in Saints Row 3. Or Season passes used as an excuse to withhold certain elements and sell them later, like...erm...SR3.

I'm not saying all companies do this, not by a long shot. And I'm not saying everything's corrupt. I'm simply saying the games industry as it stands is built around the idea of making as much money as possible first, and acting as an entertainment medium wherein new ideas are expressed and new enjoyment gained...I wanna say second, but sometimes we're lucky if that factors in at all.

There will be a developer out there who will charge 80 for the collectors edition and require us to spend the further 40 on the game, when before you paid your 80 and got everything.

I do agree with you, btw, that the idea has a lot of merit. The different-version-supply issue being solved is a really good idea. I'm just cynical enough to know this will get twisted by someone-or-other.
---
#29WinternovaPosted 3/28/2014 12:59:40 PM
I don't see how it can be twisted. If people don't think that the items are worth the extra expense, they won't buy it. It's the perfect answer to multiple platforms and even digital distribution.
---
#30Dragon NexusPosted 3/28/2014 4:28:05 PM
Winternova posted...
I don't see how it can be twisted. If people don't think that the items are worth the extra expense, they won't buy it. It's the perfect answer to multiple platforms and even digital distribution.

Well yes this is true of anything, but if you hold the audience's ability to purchase hostage, wanting this stuff means you are stuck with that choice.

I mean, all the not-purchasing in the world hasn't made some really old DLC drop in price, to name a completely unrelated example.

Like I said, I like the idea and I think it's a good one. I'm just waiting for it to be abused. My guess is Ubisoft will do it first...their collectors editions for Assassins Creed have been creeping up in price steadily over the years.
---