This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My Xbox 360 slim won't read any Xbox 360 disc and makes loud clunking noises

#1Yorkshire_14Posted 3/31/2014 12:25:26 PM
It says that they are all DVDs or unrecognisable. Is there anyway that might fix it or do I have to send it for repairs?
---
Currently Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf & Disney Infinity.
#2dtmrPosted 3/31/2014 12:27:45 PM
Do you have a hard drive? If you do, is it an official Microsoft branded one?
---
Lakitu is a jerk. He lives in a cloud and throws AIDS at decent, hardworking Americans.
#3fiasco86Posted 3/31/2014 12:29:52 PM
The hard drive shouldn't have anything to do with reading discs.

Clunking noises is a bad sign. Did you drop it or something?
---
Check out the Game Conquerors on YouTube and let me know what you think! Constructive criticism welcome.
http://www.youtube.com/IveConqueredThatGame
#4dtmrPosted 3/31/2014 12:31:41 PM
fiasco86 posted...

I was just curious because I have a third party hard drive and sometimes I hear it "click" when it's loading. I don't run discs on my Xbox (all digital).
---
Lakitu is a jerk. He lives in a cloud and throws AIDS at decent, hardworking Americans.
#5Yorkshire_14(Topic Creator)Posted 3/31/2014 12:32:11 PM
fiasco86 posted...

Nope. I forgot to take the controller off my Xbox when I was playing Rock Band though could that have caused it?
---
#60ofreako0Posted 3/31/2014 12:39:30 PM
typical xbox, really. i'm on my 3rd and it's doing the same thing. if you are confident enough to do it, i've been able to take mine apart and wipe down the eye with a q-tip. it's TEMPORARILY fixed the issue when i've done it.

you can find a lot of youtube videos showing you how to do it. just youtube something like "xbox wont read discs".

most likely you're going to end up needing a new one.
#7Yorkshire_14(Topic Creator)Posted 3/31/2014 12:47:23 PM
0ofreako0 posted...
typical xbox, really. i'm on my 3rd and it's doing the same thing. if you are confident enough to do it, i've been able to take mine apart and wipe down the eye with a q-tip. it's TEMPORARILY fixed the issue when i've done it.

you can find a lot of youtube videos showing you how to do it. just youtube something like "xbox wont read discs".

most likely you're going to end up needing a new one.

Well it's still got Warranty so I could get it repaired for free right?
---
#8XeroxicidePosted 3/31/2014 2:26:48 PM
Have you contacted Xbox Support?

Also, don't open your console if you want to take advantage of a warranty.
---
I remember when GameFAQs was good.
#9NeVaRmoorePosted 3/31/2014 3:15:23 PM
Honestly, I love the slim but the disc drive they use is straight up garbage and not built to last.
---
Watching people argue about Games with Gold vs PS+ is like watching two fat chicks argue which one's skinniest. Nobody wins.
#10orangeneePosted 3/31/2014 3:45:58 PM
NeVaRmoore posted...
Honestly, I love the slim but the disc drive they use is straight up garbage and not built to last.

Yep, mine has made a loud slipping noise when you put a disc in and won't even attempt a read if it's cold. Started doing that a year ago.

Oh and the hard drive can return disc read errors if it's faulty, had that issue with my old fat console before it went for repair for the red lights which I had to force for warranty reasons.
---
Peace has cost you your strength, victory has defeated you.
GT/PSN:Hellsteeth30