This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do I have to play the original Resident Evil games to understand the story?

#21Jedi454(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2014 3:17:36 AM
The real question is though, are the games worth picking up just for the gameplay?
---
Consoles Wars, where everyone is an expert Software/ Hardware Engineer, Marketing Analyst, Shareholder, Sales Rep, Lawyer and CEO of large corporations.
#22kingvortexPosted 4/7/2014 3:29:39 AM
Jedi454 posted...
The real question is though, are the games worth picking up just for the gameplay?

It depends if you can look past the fact that they're pretty dated now. The control scheme, while perfectly usable and fine at the time, seems a little clunky now.
As someone that purchased 1,2,3 and CV when they were released, I still enjoy going back to play them every now and then.
---
Posted with GameRaven 1.3.4
#23Dark_SpiretPosted 4/7/2014 4:21:40 AM(edited)
Jedi454 posted...
as far as whats available for the 360--
RE4 while a little dated mechanically(no moving and shooting, tank controls, no quick way to navigate weapons or inventory) still holds up really well through its gunplay and diverse campaign and is generally considered one fo the bets games ever made because of that. RE5 fallows that tho not quite as memorable of a singleplayer, but improves on mechanics. its coop ai however can potnetialy make or breakt e singleplayer experience unfortunately. RE6 kinda does its own thing mechanically and honestly does it pretty well and feels fairly unique however the campaign suffers through lack of polish and bloated design. its still fun, but gotta go into it with the right mindset. Operation Racoon City is a straight up coop shooter thats decent, but the whole thing feels mediocre in general. Revelations takes a more atmospheric approach tot eh more action design of the latest games, but also a lot of miss steps along the way with an uneven campaign, but a great minigame. its a solid experience though.

I also believe Code Veronica X is available on 360 as well which is more in line with the older games which comes with more backtracking, item management, puzzle solving ect. its much more slower paced and can be more of an acquired taste now. still good even if its story is bat**** crazy and its dialog hilariously terrible. If youre referring tot eh older games then they tend to fallow CVX's design only have there own quirks. There all very good in their own ways, just as i said in this day and age they are more of an acquired taste. Tank controls and more methodical slower design tends to go the opposite route of most action/adventure games or even many horror games now.

A cool thing about the RE series is 1. all of them have pretty good combat (spin offs aside). all the weapons feel powerful, hit reactions are satisfyingly gory and entertaining ect. It just feels good to shoot stuff in most of the games(especially in 4/5). 2. is that each RE tends to do something different in its own way while still keeping a core design philosophy. each one tends to have have certain mechanics or elements unique that one game making going back and re experiencing them feel pretty unique unlike most other series which builds and improves on systems.to the point of going backwards feels VERY archaic.
---
Currently playing: Darksiders - MGS5: Ground Zeros - Dark Souls 2
#24Bs-KILLPosted 4/7/2014 5:30:53 AM
Jedi454 posted...
So today I played RE6 with a friend yesterday and enjoyed the game quite a bit, which was the first time I had played the series. My question is do I have to play the original games to understand the story? Because I noticed you can only get RE4 and beyond on 360.

If 360 is your only option then Play RE4, RE:R, RE5 & RE6
(Though you might be lost on RE5's story.)
---
GT (360 & One) : UltraC0MB0
PSN (PS4) : BasuraKILLER
#25Ginsu VictimPosted 4/7/2014 7:04:01 AM
I've played through several REs since the first one, but I couldn't tell you jack about the plots.
---
I'M RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!! - Capt. Rhodes, Day of the Dead (1985)