This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Xbox slim or xbox 360 E?

#11fiasco86Posted 4/16/2014 3:12:28 PM
Kurgan777 posted...
fiasco86 posted...
expertgamer8 posted...
I have a new xbox 360 e that gets great surround sound with an hdmi cable. It has been a good system. Load faster than my original elite model.

If your TV has an Optical Audio output port (TOSLINK), then that's all well and good. Otherwise, you'll be missing the TOSLINK port on the 360 S.

Most TV's that have a toslink port only output stereo sound through that port, so that's not really the best way to get surround sound, the best way is from it's original source, not massively delayed through a "3rd party source".

Massively delayed? I doubt it.
---
Check out the Game Conquerors on YouTube and let me know what you think! Constructive criticism welcome.
http://www.youtube.com/IveConqueredThatGame
#12iceman505Posted 4/16/2014 3:18:41 PM
Kurgan777 posted...
Slim S is the superior system, the E model was a downgrade compared to the Slim S.

They removed one of the USB ports and the Digital Optical Audio output port from the E model. If you plan on running a good surround sound system or headset, you'll need that DOAO port.

The extra USB port would come in handy for either 2 more wired controllers, or 2 more USB sticks to increase storage space.

Huh? That has always been on the damned video cables, dating back to OG Xbox, not the console itself. What the hell are you talking about?
---
Xbox Nation
#13fiasco86Posted 4/16/2014 3:23:49 PM
iceman505 posted...
Huh? That has always been on the damned video cables, dating back to OG Xbox, not the console itself. What the hell are you talking about?

360 S - TOSLINK to the left of A/V and HDMI ports
http://i.haymarket.net.au/galleries/xbox-360-slim-6.jpg

360 E - no TOSLINK
http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/xbox360e_teardown_01.jpg

The E model doens't even use the wide A/V cable anymore, so even if you still had one from the original 360 models that had the TOSLINK port, you wouldn't be able to use it.
---
Check out the Game Conquerors on YouTube and let me know what you think! Constructive criticism welcome.
#14orangeneePosted 4/16/2014 3:24:56 PM
iceman505 posted...
Kurgan777 posted...
Slim S is the superior system, the E model was a downgrade compared to the Slim S.

They removed one of the USB ports and the Digital Optical Audio output port from the E model. If you plan on running a good surround sound system or headset, you'll need that DOAO port.

The extra USB port would come in handy for either 2 more wired controllers, or 2 more USB sticks to increase storage space.

Whens the last time you saw an optical out on an HDMI cable?

The old cables won't work with an E anyway, no socket for it. You have composite or HDMI.
---
Peace has cost you your strength, victory has defeated you.
GT/PSN:Hellsteeth30
#15Kurgan777Posted 4/16/2014 3:27:08 PM
fiasco86 posted...
Kurgan777 posted...
fiasco86 posted...
expertgamer8 posted...
I have a new xbox 360 e that gets great surround sound with an hdmi cable. It has been a good system. Load faster than my original elite model.

If your TV has an Optical Audio output port (TOSLINK), then that's all well and good. Otherwise, you'll be missing the TOSLINK port on the 360 S.

Most TV's that have a toslink port only output stereo sound through that port, so that's not really the best way to get surround sound, the best way is from it's original source, not massively delayed through a "3rd party source".

Massively delayed? I doubt it.

The sound would have to go from your 360, to the TV, then it gets processed from an analog signal to a digital signal (which takes time), then out to a surround sound processor which then processes the sound back into analog and out to the speakers or a headset.

It would be faster to go from the 360's DOAO port to the surround sound system in digital form, then processed into analog to the speakers. You're also guaranteed to get a pure surround sound signal that way and not some surround to stereo to pseudo-surround signal.
---
What's the purpose in owning a Grenade Launcher?
The sheer inability to continue life without it ! ! !
#16fiasco86Posted 4/16/2014 7:11:28 PM
Kurgan777 posted...
It would be faster to go from the 360's DOAO port to the surround sound system in digital form, then processed into analog to the speakers. You're also guaranteed to get a pure surround sound signal that way and not some surround to stereo to pseudo-surround signal.

You're talking about nanoseconds. And if the sound goes to the TV through HDMI, it's already in digital format.
---
#17kennyynnooPosted 4/21/2014 8:04:58 PM
Well I only bought the E for the price, slapped a 500gb HD( only reads 460gbs) on it for 60. I'm happy, plenty of space and no issues.
---
Xbox one, PS3, Wii
Play for the games not the evil corporation, they're all evil in the end.
#18ptreemf12Posted 4/21/2014 8:09:23 PM
Is the new E model as reliable as the Slim in the long run? I'm going to be a buying a brand new 360 (or 2) for gaming in the distant future and would prefer the better built system for longevity.
---
Every dang time...
#19Kurgan777Posted 4/21/2014 8:16:01 PM
ptreemf12 posted...
Is the new E model as reliable as the Slim in the long run? I'm going to be a buying a brand new 360 (or 2) for gaming in the distant future and would prefer the better built system for longevity.

I've already seen reports of the E models overheating, find a Slim S unit now while you still can.
---
What's the purpose in owning a Grenade Launcher?
The sheer inability to continue life without it ! ! !