This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are your thoughts on Silent Protagonists in Video Games?

#1Jamin-7Posted 4/21/2014 7:50:49 PM
You know, the Heroic Mime, or Mute Hero - where they don't speak, and - at the most - just grunt and yell. Protagonists like Gordon Freeman, Link, etc. ... For me, I actually don't mind them. For RPGs where you create your own character, I would rather they did this rather than give the player a voice and preset personality.

Just so I can rob you of your sleep tonight...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HeroicMime

What do you guys think?
---
"You don't even exist, Fisher. You can't get a medal for this."
"Medals don't help me sleep at night, Lambert."
#2SeekAndDestroy2Posted 4/21/2014 7:53:56 PM
While I don't necessarily dislike silent protagonists, I don't like them either. I would much rather my character talk and be involved in the story rather than just a tool to send on fetch quests. When I played Metro 2033 recently I hated how Arytom was completely silent, it made no sense yet everyone seemed to treat you like a hero for whatever reason.
---
PSN & GT: darkstar5577
#3SILENTGHOSTS96Posted 4/21/2014 7:59:16 PM
Jamin-7 posted...
You know, the Heroic Mime, or Mute Hero - where they don't speak, and - at the most - just grunt and yell. Protagonists like Gordon Freeman, Link, etc. ... For me, I actually don't mind them. For RPGs where you create your own character, I would rather they did this rather than give the player a voice and preset personality.
I hate them, I would have like bf4 story if the character talked feel stupid they put a mute in charge when he cant give a order
Just so I can rob you of your sleep tonight...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HeroicMime

What do you guys think?

I hate them, I would have like bf4 story if the character talked feel stupid they put a mute in charge when he cant give a order
---
GT is SiL3NT E3G1e
#4shawnmckPosted 4/21/2014 8:01:38 PM(edited)
I personally don't care.
Some hate a silent protagonist, but I've played plenty of games that had a talking protagonist that were extremely annoying to hear them speak...so if they remain silent, then it doesn't bother me at all.
I would much rather they be silent than annoying.
#5Kurgan777Posted 4/21/2014 8:19:31 PM
The main character needs to do some sort of talking or interacting with other characters, especially when it comes to those times when the player sets down the controller for too long without pausing the game. The character needs to say something or do something to break the 4th wall to get the player moving again.
---
What's the purpose in owning a Grenade Launcher?
The sheer inability to continue life without it ! ! !
#6fiasco86Posted 4/21/2014 8:28:28 PM
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Mostly it depends on the skill of the writers. It shouldn't be viewed as a go-to for creating a sense of "immersion" though. Making the player-character not talk doesn't automatically make the player feel like they're the character.
---
Check out the Game Conquerors on YouTube and let me know what you think! Constructive criticism welcome.
http://www.youtube.com/IveConqueredThatGame
#7darkharePosted 4/21/2014 8:30:00 PM
MegaMan best silent protagonist eva!

---
fan of inforgraphics
#8Jiggy101011Posted 4/21/2014 11:12:31 PM
I dislike it, majority of the time it doesn't make any sense why they did it and I hate the reason "we wanted you to feel like you are the hero!" It frustrated me that in Halo ODST your character never talks, how are you going to work as a squad when one of you is a mute?

In Dragon Age Origins it works because you can choose your dialog so I assume the written words are what my character would say. But in a FPS game I want the person I play to have a voice, or have them be like Master Chief and only say something when they absolutely need to.
---
Gamertag: F1RE v2 PSN ID: F1REx
Currently Playing: The Last of Us, GTA V, Titanfall
#9Jedi454Posted 4/21/2014 11:19:32 PM
Revan, Exile, your protagonist in Dragon Age/ The Elder Scrolls/ Fallout and so on comes to mind.
---
Get Good Kid.
#10aj4x94Posted 4/21/2014 11:43:49 PM
I don't like it when devs use Heroic mimes. I think it's lazy and it's strange when the protagonist hardly reacts to anything that happens around him/her.
---
Playing: Skyrim, Half Life 2, Dark Souls 1&2, Lords of Shadow, Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD, GTA V.
PSN: T-Snake94, XBL: T-Snake 94, Steam ID: T_Snake94