This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are your thoughts on Silent Protagonists in Video Games?

#41Halo_ForeverPosted 4/23/2014 10:51:36 PM
pothocket posted...
nothingbeast posted...

Then there are games like Dragon Age: Origins. When stacked up to Mass Effect, it just seems weird to have a mute protagonist in a dialog-heavy game. (I understand with all the different classes with both genders, it can get a little tough recording for them all... but it's still weird)

I agree. In a 3rd person game, after you select a dialogue option, your character should actually say it out loud. Mass Effect gets it but the concept has been around for a long time. Hell, even Monkey Island 1 would have Guybrush "speak" the lines in-game after selecting what to say.

Not having voice acting allows you to put in for more options for the main character, compare to amount of dialogue options for the Warden in DAO, with Hawke or Shepard, the Warden usually has twice the options.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#42JELIFISH19Posted 4/23/2014 11:42:08 PM
Silent protagonists versus voiced protagonists can change the way we play a game. Dishonored was one of my favorite games this gen. You played as Corvo (silent) in the main game and Daud in the DLC (voiced). The two felt very different. The game is about gameplay choice but you feel more free in the main game. You play only according to the game's events and what you do becomes the narrative. Knowing Daud's motivations and how he sees things makes you more inclined to play the game doing what you think he would do. I enjoyed the DLC's narrative more but I can't tell if it's just in the frame of the Dishonored universe. But the two offered very different but great experiences. I think there's a time and place for both.
---
I <3 my HRAP EX-SE
Capcom, ASW, & NRS fighting games 4 Life
#43NemerlightPosted 4/24/2014 1:36:12 AM
I liked GTA3 but in general i prefer main characters to talk.
---
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is the best PC game of 2012.