This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Rip music files from CD to Xbox

#1JayK33Posted 5/8/2014 10:03:30 PM
Hi

I've been trying to rip songs from a burned CD to my Xbox 360 harddrive (to use as custom entrance music in the WWE 12 game) but I can't figure out how.

I bought a couple blank CDs and burned music clips (tried both the .wav and .mp3 formats) on them using Windows Media Player. When I place the disk in my Xbox, I can play the files on it, but I can't rip to the harddrive, which is what I need to do in order to use it in the game. The "Rip CD" option on my Xbox screen is faded out... you know, like when I click on it, nothing happens.

What can I do to make it work?

Thanks.
#2Super CreaturesPosted 5/8/2014 10:33:34 PM
You have to burn them as audio discs, not data discs.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#3Halo_ForeverPosted 5/8/2014 10:34:31 PM
Might be the burned CD part (IIRC with the original Xbox that would have been a problem with some types of disk drive).
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#4GobizkuPosted 5/8/2014 10:57:28 PM
Most likely you have an Xbox that has an internal 4gig storage device, which isn't technically a hard drive it's flash memory. Ripping music actually requires a hard drive.
---
"Chaos Is Not Entropy...Chaos Is Continual Creation." -Praxis
Preparation For A Coming Darkness
#5Red OrcPosted 5/8/2014 11:21:54 PM
As previously stated, your problem is they are not actual audio files. The 360 can play .mp3s just fine off of a USB drive, but not transferable to the HDD. I realize you need the track for the intro music. That's pretty cool for customization. I recall using a program called Nero to burn audio CD from .mp3s.

Burned CDs are rippable, but the 360 will not recognize the tracks/ album/ artist/ genre. You can manually put all that info in yourself while it rips or later.
I would love to know about how much an average album takes up.
I do know the more you put on the harddrive, the longer it will take for the bars to start progress. I have 200+ albums ripped onto my "jukebox360" and it takes well over 5 minutes for it to even start on the first track. Once it starts, it then rips at a reasonable speed.
I'm guessing the reason is that the harddrive is well fragmented by save files, music, downloaded games, and installed games over the years.

There is a great indie game, Beat Hazard, that uses your music to make levels for a twin stick shooter, but it takes forever to read my entire library.
#6Super CreaturesPosted 5/8/2014 11:54:09 PM
Red Orc posted...
I'm guessing the reason is that the harddrive is well fragmented

Not really, the way the 360 file system is set up doesn't really create fragmentation, since all the space is already filled with container files that the actual files are placed in, which is why devices that use the FAT32 file system can store files larger than 4GB, because the actual file can be split between multiple containers.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#7JayK33(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2014 12:20:52 AM
Can I convert the clips I already have on the CDs to audio files, or do I need to buy a new blank CD and try it again
#8DonVito1990Posted 5/9/2014 12:30:33 AM(edited)
Since you've already burned them into a data format there is no way to convert that same CD back into a playable audio cd. You'll need to start over with a new CD and this time make sure your burning it as a playable CD.

Use Windows Media Player to burn it if you have too and make sure it's checking and burning each track. Should be an entirely different process then making them readable data.
---
HughNeutron posted...
been washing WWE since 2009.
#9iceman505Posted 5/9/2014 2:00:38 AM
Super Creatures posted...
You have to burn them as audio discs, not data discs.

That's part of it, but this isn't 2005 anymore. MS has over the years selectively gone more, and more with disc drives that will not read many CDR/RW disc brands. Been having that problem myself with my 360S. I want to transfer my vast AmazonMP3 collection onto my 360 HDD, but cannot get the brand of CDR that worked on my older White 360, to work on it.
---
Xbox Nation
#10JayK33(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2014 3:14:41 AM
When I insert the disc back in the computer it calls it an "audio CD".

I do have a hard drive on my Xbox but there's not a great amount of space on it. I only have two games installed so far though. I just started using this one a few weeks ago.

The music I want to use for my games are clips I got online. I dragged the files from my downloads folder into the empty Burn list in Media Player. Then I was able to burn them. I watched each track become burned one at a time onto the disc.

I guess I'll have to purchase some new blank discs then? And try to burn my files on the discs in a different way?