This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Games with multiple generations of fans.

#1N7SpectrePosted 5/12/2014 10:30:27 AM(edited)
WARNING: This topic might make some readers feel ancient.

Anyway, I'm not talking about the different console generations a series may appear in, but the actual fan bases themselves. Do you ever wonder how a fan base of a popular franchise changes over time, especially those that have been around for 10 years or longer?

I find it quite upsetting to hear that a lot of people playing through a long-running series have never even played the first games that made them great in the first place. I was just in Gamestop the other day and overheard a group of kids talking about how Modern Warfare 2 was the 1st CoD they ever played and how nostalgic it was. Lolwut? It's only 5 years old!

Now, I'll admit that it sort of applies to me too. I only started GTA with III (majority of gamers probably did lol, though that might be changing), Final Fantasy with VI, Fallout 3, and TES IV: Oblivion.

What about this board? Have you been fans of any particular series since the beginning, or did you drop in or drop out somewhere in the middle? Or are you a franchise newbie having only played its latest installments?
---
"Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is MORE COWBELL!!!"
#2pothocketPosted 5/12/2014 9:48:37 AM
Resident Evil definitely has two generations of fans. The horror game generation vs the action game generation.
---
http://i.imgur.com/L2ASIya.gif
http://i.imgur.com/5hUcbcx.gif
#3OKRecords1138Posted 5/12/2014 9:56:01 AM(edited)
I've been gaming since Magnavox's Odyssey, so as far as generational games, I've pretty much seen them all come to be from the dawn of gaming existence, and even ones that have evolved over time such as Donkey Kong to Donkey Kong Country. As such, it really makes me laugh when I hear kids talking about how much harder the first Ninja Gaiden was as compared to the third, and they're talking about the Xbox/Xbox 360 versions. Sorry, Jr. but they go back much farther then that, and you don't even know the meaning of the word difficult if you haven't played the NES versions.
---
See all your favorite toys of yesterday and today at The Toy Box - thetoybox1138.blogspot.com
#4SurdyyPosted 5/12/2014 10:05:59 AM
Metroid comes to mind.
---
The Internet is a terrible place.
GT: Surdy Nk
#5metaldiggle2Posted 5/12/2014 10:12:18 AM
Well, my favorite game series, The Legend of Zelda, has been around longer than I have. So that's one.
---
There are times where I wish I could delete stupid threads I see.
Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions/President's Trophy Winners
#6Tyronelio1Posted 5/12/2014 10:23:06 AM
When AC revelations came out I got excited and filled with nostalgia when I got to play and experience life as altiar again lol. I think that was four years?

But I'd say cod would be one that's more modern, you have the mw4 purists who cry about everything, the original 3 cods and world at war purists, mw2 purists and then all the players of the black ops games.

The biggest IMO and in the communities I'm apart of would be the DBZ games, age old fight of Budokai Vs Budokai Tenkaichi Vs Raging Blast.

Or the wwe games where it's No Mercy vs HCTP vs the simulation based modern games.
---
Welcome to Sonyfaqs.com.
Currently playing: Bayonetta, DBZ: Raging Blast 2, WWE/NBA 2K13, Alan Wake, GTAIV: Complete Edition, TC: HAWX 2, Dark Souls 2.
#7N7Spectre(Topic Creator)Posted 5/12/2014 10:25:16 AM(edited)
Yeah, I know what you mean OKRecords. Though I've only reached adulthood during the PSWii60 generation, I've been exposed to various games dating back to Atari 2600 (still doesn't trump 1st Magnavox in age lol).

Grew up mostly around Genesis/SuperNES, though. Both were already in their prime by the time I was born, so I doubt even people my age were familiar with them.

My cousins had me try out Ninja Gaiden II for NES during the late 90's and I couldn't even beat the first level xD. Hell, I'm only playing Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD remix now and getting my ass kicked by the A.I. on easy. When I was 4, I was too scared to play the version on Genesis b/c of how messed up the losing fighter's face looked like at the end hehe.
---
"Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is MORE COWBELL!!!"
#8Jedi454Posted 5/12/2014 10:30:15 AM
Halo, Diablo, Fable, Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Wolfenstein, Doom, GTA, Pokemon, Deus Ex, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Mega Man, Donkey Kong, Resident Evil, Battlefield, Call of Duty, Hitman, Splinter Cell, Command and Conquer, Warcraft, Starcraft, Civilisation, Yu-Gi-Oh, Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear Solid/ Metal Gear, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Marvel vs. Capcom, Prince of Persia and many more.
---
*~Waiting For~* Borderlands PreSequel, The Witcher 3, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Destiny, Sacred 3, The Division and Pokemon Alpha Sapphire.
#9Kurgan777Posted 5/12/2014 10:38:36 AM
pothocket posted...
Resident Evil definitely has two generations of fans. The horror game generation vs the action game generation.

Those aren't "generations".
---
What's the purpose in owning a Grenade Launcher?
The sheer inability to continue life without it ! ! !
#10pothocketPosted 5/12/2014 10:47:38 AM
Kurgan777 posted...
pothocket posted...

Those aren't "generations".

Yes it is, shut up. The game has evolved from one play style to another. There's two very distinct generations (no quotes) of Resident Evil games. Go find some other non-argument to get stupid about.
---
http://i.imgur.com/L2ASIya.gif
http://i.imgur.com/5hUcbcx.gif