This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people care about Achievements

#41danger_brandonPosted 7/9/2014 1:52:16 PM
Shaggy Popper posted...
Why do people care about people who care about achievements?

Word.
---
PSN: DangerBrandon
Last Platinum: Tomb Raider Anniversary HD; Currently Playing: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception; In Queue: Mass Effect
#42Kurgan777Posted 7/9/2014 1:58:48 PM
For all the oblivious people saying that achievements are worthless, XBL Rewards proves you wrong with anywhere from 1% to 3% back on all your Live purchases depending on how high your gamerscore is. For those who claim that 3% isn't enough, the average credit card rewards programs only give 2% back.

darkhare posted...
Super Creatures posted...
reevil123 posted...
OCD causes people to do them.

I'm making an educated guess and I'm going to say that you have no understanding, or very minimal understanding, of OCD or what it entails.

yup, it kills me that people so easily jump to the conclusion that it must be some type of psychosis, how much you wanting to bet the people that say this were brought up by baby boomers?

OCD actually does come into play for the following...

1. When people go out of their way to get achievements for things they don't like doing just for the GS points to keep their completion percentage as high as possible.

2. When they play games they don't like just for the GS points to keep their completion percentage as high as possible.

3. When they want incomplete games removed from their gamerscore total just for the GS points to keep their completion percentage as high as possible.

4. When they deliberately go after specific achievements just so their gamerscore ends in a specific number like a 5 or a 0.

5. When they play multiple versions of the same game from different regions just to get a higher score.
---
What's the purpose in owning a Grenade Launcher?
The sheer inability to continue life without it ! ! !
#43ConsumerWarningPosted 7/9/2014 2:02:02 PM
At first I was like: "Achievements?! That's pretty cool!"

Then I was like: "meh."
---
The 80's are over and the conservatives lost.
#44highwindmtPosted 7/9/2014 2:02:49 PM
Canada Champ posted...
People like achieving things, simple as that. It's enjoyable to achieve something.

When something is so menial, are you really achieving anything? I think the clear answer is no.

People like achievements for the same reason everybody gets a trophy in little league sports, instead of just the champs. People feel a sense of entitlement. This generation isn't called 'generation me' for nothing.
---
PSN: insane_method
GT: FozzieBearr
#45Chosen_one_41Posted 7/9/2014 2:03:23 PM
Same reason I would 100% games before achievements existed, I enjoy playing games and they give me an excuse to play them further after beating the game. Of course though if I played a game that sucked I wouldn't go for the achievements afterwards, assuming I somehow got through the game in the first place. Also if an achievement is just dumb I'll avoid it.

What is with the people who claim that it's because of OCD or E-Peen issues? There seems to be this thing in gaming where if you enjoy something and someone else doesn't they automatically assume that you are flawed as opposed to just admitting that different people enjoy different things.
---
www.backloggery.com/chosen_one_41
I'm not a real gamer, I actually enjoy playing games
#46Joey-ZazaPosted 7/9/2014 2:04:20 PM
highwindmt posted...
Canada Champ posted...
People like achieving things, simple as that. It's enjoyable to achieve something.

When something is so menial, are you really achieving anything? I think the clear answer is no.

People like achievements for the same reason everybody gets a trophy in little league sports, instead of just the champs. People feel a sense of entitlement. This generation isn't called 'generation me' for nothing.

Yeah nice try kid but even in the 70s and 80s we got trophies even if we lost.
---
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed." - The Dark Tower I
#47darkharePosted 7/9/2014 2:26:12 PM(edited)
Kurgan777 posted...
For all the oblivious people saying that achievements are worthless, XBL Rewards proves you wrong with anywhere from 1% to 3% back on all your Live purchases depending on how high your gamerscore is. For those who claim that 3% isn't enough, the average credit card rewards programs only give 2% back.

darkhare posted...
reevil123 posted...

I'm making an educated guess and I'm going to say that you have no understanding, or very minimal understanding, of OCD or what it entails.

yup, it kills me that people so easily jump to the conclusion that it must be some type of psychosis, how much you wanting to bet the people that say this were brought up by baby boomers?

1. When people go out of their way to get achievements for things they don't like doing just for the GS points to keep their completion percentage as high as possible.

2. When they play games they don't like just for the GS points to keep their completion percentage as high as possible.

3. When they want incomplete games removed from their gamerscore total just for the GS points to keep their completion percentage as high as possible.

4. When they deliberately go after specific achievements just so their gamerscore ends in a specific number like a 5 or a 0.

5. When they play multiple versions of the same game from different regions just to get a higher score.

getting achievements in a game isnt a compulsive behavior, as its not something that can be done impulsively. compulsive behavior tend to be things like counting your fingers over and over, checking and re-checking the rooms to see if theirs someone hiding from you, repeatedly singing a song or speaking a phrase to yourself. these impulsive actions also tend to be done so the person can release stress or fears.
---
[obnoxious period]
#48vgamerunner87Posted 7/9/2014 2:31:10 PM
I agree that achievements can add to the value of a game, and enjoy going for the extra challenges in many games, but I can also see TC's point and think there is such a thing as taking it too far:

I have a guy in the same apartment with a PS3 who has literally told me that he was playing all the games he was for the last month for the platinum trophies specifically and didn't even find the games fun. It's really made him more of an obnoxious jerk and a less interesting person in general since moving in with him, and he seems to care more about his platinums than his friends, his own enjoyment, keeping his part time job, or using his college degree, even though the only friends he has on PSN to brag about it to are the two guys who live with him (and are moving out soon, I might add.)
#49Kurgan777Posted 7/9/2014 2:41:35 PM
darkhare posted...
Kurgan777 posted...

darkhare posted...
reevil123 posted...

getting achievements in a game isnt a compulsive behavior, as its not something that can be done impulsively. compulsive behavior tend to be things like counting your fingers over and over, checking and re-checking the rooms to see if theirs someone hiding from you, repeatedly singing a song or speaking a phrase to yourself. these impulsive actions also tend to be done so the person can release stress or fears.

You're confusing the debilitating levels and forms of OCD with those that only compel you to do things you wouldn't normally do.

OCD isn't an On or Off thing, there are varying severity levels of the disorder.

If something you're obsessed with compels you to do something and you actually follow that compulsion even if you don't like it, that's OCD.

When a gamer keeps playing a game they hate just to maintain a high achievement percentage, a number that's not even displayed on their own system, that's OCD.

When a gamer changes the games they play or how they play just to have their gamerscore end in a certain number, that's OCD.

All 5 things that I already listed are indeed varying levels of OCD. It only ceases to be OCD when the gamer just stops letting their compulsions control them.

That's when they finally they stop giving a s*** about the achievements, or their completion percentage, or the number their score ends in.

And yes, achievements can be obtained impulsively. You check some sort of achievements list, see how easy or difficult a certain achievement is and the score it gives and you go after it, then you go back to playing normally.
---
What's the purpose in owning a Grenade Launcher?
The sheer inability to continue life without it ! ! !
#50Weiss KreuzPosted 7/9/2014 2:42:14 PM
Does achievement collection relate to some age groups in anyway?
---
(^_^)