This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Japanese game on English Xbox

#21PStrifePosted 7/18/2014 8:12:11 PM
I am at the point where I will be buying a few Japanese region locked games to wait for the inevitable region unlock softmod a few meagre years down the road. Microsoft is gonna dun stop 360 production sooner rather then later, might as well have the games ahead of the inevitable 360 hacking times.

The One simply ain't the promised land, as much as they tried to fix the idiots Don Mattrick's many design mistakes. You still have to connect those damn machines to fix the stupid DRM crap, incompetence still running amok.
#22Lum_YatsuraPosted 7/18/2014 9:45:18 PM(edited)
shawnmck posted...
The XB 360 is region locked...so the only way you are going to play a Japanese game on a North-American XB 360 console is to have the console modded.
Either that, or get a Developer's model XB 360...they might be able to play imports.

BTW
The PS3 is region-free...so any Japanese game will play on any North-American PS3 console.
If the game is available for the PS3, then you can opt to get it for that, and then just play it on any PS3.

In general people label systems region free or locked based on the majority of games.
Ignoring rare exceptions like region free Saturn and original Xbox games, region locked PS3 (Persona 4 Arena) and original DS games (iQue versions), or that western Master System can't play its few Japan/Korea games. Etc.

360 is different. With optional lockout you have to keep track of specific games. A lot like the Sega Genesis.
---
3ds fc: 5026 4515 5016
We'll ion buzz to the blue stars over there!?
#23bungiefanPosted 7/19/2014 7:10:28 AM
There's also the matter on if it is possible to region lock, or if you are forced to. PS1 and PS2 were forced to have a single region code on a disc, it was impossible to have a disc that would work globally. PS3 and Xbox 360 allow a disc to have multiple region codes, essentially allowing region-free discs (or discs that work in 2/3rds of the regions), and the choice was left up to the game publishers (the majority of PS3 games were chosen to have every region code, while the majority of Xbox 360 games were chosen to have only 1 or 2 region codes). Then there were the GameBoy handhelds, which had no region codes embedded in systems or cartridges, so it was region-free.
---
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/389803
#24BroDudeJaggiesPosted 7/19/2014 7:23:51 AM
TC

Just get Ginga Force, the best game last gen
---
My Gaming Cave: http://www.flickr.com/photos/99629181@N06/
#25thekozmicpigPosted 7/19/2014 12:49:43 PM
bungiefan posted...
There's also the matter on if it is possible to region lock, or if you are forced to. PS1 and PS2 were forced to have a single region code on a disc, it was impossible to have a disc that would work globally. PS3 and Xbox 360 allow a disc to have multiple region codes, essentially allowing region-free discs (or discs that work in 2/3rds of the regions), and the choice was left up to the game publishers (the majority of PS3 games were chosen to have every region code, while the majority of Xbox 360 games were chosen to have only 1 or 2 region codes). Then there were the GameBoy handhelds, which had no region codes embedded in systems or cartridges, so it was region-free.

And then there's the SNES and N64 which can be made region free with some physical console modding.

Though I don't think this will work for PAL carts due to the whole 50 hz vs 60 hz TV issue.
---
Feels like the depths of hell were unleashed upon my ass. - nivlac_rebuats
#26pOtEmKiN_1914Posted 7/19/2014 1:03:51 PM
Kurgan777 posted...
dtmr posted...
Kurgan777 posted...
EpicWafflez515 posted...
-_- really mod my comment. I thought Japanese is a nationality not a race, for example I for one am an American thus I come from America.
Also you guys (including moderators) are so sensitive.

There can many times be some very noticeable physical differences between the people of China, Japan, and Korea. the size and shape of the eyes, the eyelids, the color of the skin, the shape of the face, the overall height, and the color of the hair.

So yes, the Japanese people can be considered a race, not just an ethnicity.

You listen to Kurgan. He's super good at being racist.

How is any of that racist??? Those are all differences pointed out by people from Japan, Korea, and China because they really hate being called something they're not by people who don't know the subtle visible differences.

^This.

Try calling a Korea person a Japanese or a Chinese person Vietnamese and see what type of response you will get.
---
You're either The New NEXUS or you're against Us
#27Super CreaturesPosted 7/20/2014 11:24:08 PM(edited)
BurgerTime79 posted...
You were likely modded for telling someone you modded them for being racist,

Saying you marked someone has not been a ToU violation since the ToU was updated on December 12, 2011, two and a half years ago.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#28dtmrPosted 7/21/2014 2:30:29 AM
It'd be mighty racist to call a Korean Japanese, huh?
---
Lakitu is a jerk. He lives in a cloud and throws AIDS at decent, hardworking Americans.
#29Lum_YatsuraPosted 7/21/2014 8:13:38 AM(edited)
thekozmicpig posted...
And then there's the SNES and N64 which can be made region free with some physical console modding.

Though I don't think this will work for PAL carts due to the whole 50 hz vs 60 hz TV issue.

Besides the lockout chip yeah.

SNES would try to run PAL carts at 60hz, which some games don't allow.
At least the first model has RGB to avoid color encoding issues if it were changed to 50hz (NTSC at 50hz is not a valid standard). N64 lacks that luxury.
---
3ds fc: 5026 4515 5016
We'll ion buzz to the blue stars over there!?
#30MR_SorenPosted 7/21/2014 9:32:43 AM
Phantom Breaker is region locked.

Phantom Breaker Extra is a better version of the game. Phantom Breaker Extra is not region locked. You an buy and play that one with no problem if you are okay with the language being Japanese.
---
Blog: .............. http://red-grenade.com
Gamertag: .... rjcarello