This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best arcade like racing game?

#21SEA_Posted 7/20/2014 5:56:15 PM
JackBurton85 posted...
The open city ruins the appeal of the racing though far too often.

I love open world racers, my problem with Paradise is how the races themselves are handled. Structure, layout, etc. Completely ruined what could have been one of my favorite racing games.
#22DarkPhoenix424Posted 7/21/2014 4:49:05 AM
Daytona USA!
#23gathmorePosted 7/21/2014 5:45:53 AM
casedawgz posted...
Did anyone ever play that old n64 game with the Volkswagen Beetles? It sucked that you could only drive Beetles but it reminded me a lot of Hydro Thunder. The tracks were amazing and there were tons of secrets and shortcuts.

Beetle Adventure Racing was fantastic. Closest thing to a Need for Speed title the N64 ever received.
---
You know you're in a questionable area when you see grown men riding tiny bikes.
#24JackBurton85Posted 7/21/2014 8:05:26 AM
SEA_ posted...
JackBurton85 posted...
The open city ruins the appeal of the racing though far too often.

I love open world racers, my problem with Paradise is how the races themselves are handled. Structure, layout, etc. Completely ruined what could have been one of my favorite racing games.

I just don't think the open city works with a game like Burnout. The racing is already so damn chaotic and there's already soooo many obstacles in the form of crashing and other cars trying to crash you and innocent other traffic.

I think the layout is crap and the city/tracks are poorly laid out as well. For the most part i've found i really can't make my own way and create my own path to victory. Most any time you deviate from the recommended route of travel i end up so far off course i have to stop completely and restart the race as i have no hope whatsoever of catching up. Not to mention, yuou're traveling at such an incredible rate of speed and with rival cars crashing into you and traffic to contend with, you have to pause and check your map to decide where to possibly go. It puts a huge damper on the racing, takes me out of the moment, kills the excitement to a large degree.

I didn't see a great deal of variety in the courses either in Paradise. Nothing like what the likes of Takedown and Revenge had. Most tracks were just a couple road turn differences from one another, didn't take you to varying environments or locales often enough.
#25thedude008Posted 7/21/2014 8:18:49 AM
blur
was like a grown up mario cart
had a blast
#26OLibertyPosted 7/21/2014 8:27:15 AM
My top recommendation would be Split/Second followed by Blur.
#27burnouttrainerPosted 7/21/2014 12:28:35 PM
Burnout Revenge and Paradise, and RR6. RR6 was the first 360 game I ever had :)
---
If it doesn't have my face on it, I don't care. -Me
http://i.imgur.com/RE3x3ut.gif The pic drawn for me by Griffington. I &#%*ing love it.
#28elconoMPosted 7/21/2014 12:47:20 PM
Though starting to play split/second just now, I like it.
Burnouts are fun though I feel them better at couch play with real friends.

How is that Sonic kart racer?

burnouttrainer posted...
Burnout Revenge and Paradise, and RR6. RR6 was the first 360 game I ever had :)

That would be Ridge Racer 6 for those missing the reference.
---
GT- sulfurousgalaxy -- Fire Safari @ 2DS -- 0404.7525.1925
LF a co-op buddy for various HALO and maybe the Borderlands. thx
#29SEA_Posted 7/21/2014 10:55:10 PM
If you can put up with a ton of obnoxious horses***, Test Drive Unlimited 2 is really damn fun and addicting.
#30burnouttrainerPosted 7/22/2014 12:11:58 PM
SEA_ posted...
If you can put up with a ton of obnoxious horses***, Test Drive Unlimited 2 is really damn fun and addicting.

LOL, I played #1 and I traded it because I was getting annoyed by the cops always chasing me after I crashed. What can I say, I was little and grew up to regret that decision...
---
If it doesn't have my face on it, I don't care. -Me
http://i.imgur.com/RE3x3ut.gif The pic drawn for me by Griffington. I &#%*ing love it.