This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's going on with open-world games?

#1VividAxisPosted 8/2/2014 12:12:23 PM
After GTA V, have there been any good open-world or sandbox style games released on the 360?
#2darkharePosted 8/2/2014 12:14:46 PM
cant get more sandbox than minecraft.
---
[obnoxious period]
#3NaughtyOctopusPosted 8/2/2014 12:19:04 PM
darkhare posted...

After GTA V
---
http://i.imgur.com/D13zI.gif
damn
#4Kurgan777Posted 8/2/2014 12:21:07 PM
Since the limitation of "after GTA-5" is listed the only one that really qualifies is Watch Dogs.

Before GTA-5 there's a lot of free roam games on the 360.
---
What's the purpose in owning a Grenade Launcher?
The sheer inability to continue life without it ! ! !
#5darkharePosted 8/2/2014 12:33:30 PM(edited)
NaughtyOctopus posted...
darkhare posted...

After GTA V

edit: my bad i mis-understood your comment, nothing relevant to add.
---
[obnoxious period]
#6Dark_SpiretPosted 8/2/2014 12:38:46 PM
AC4
Watchdogs
Batman: Arkham Origins
---
Currently playing: Divinity Original Sin - Divine Divinity - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
#7VividAxis(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2014 12:40:23 PM
^The problem is that there isn't a single name, classification, or genre that includes all open-world, free-roam, sandbox, and those types of games - into one group. I haven't been in the loop for a while and I just want a large new world to goof off in.

^^Thanks. I didn't know Watch Dogs was out already. I think I'll either try Watch Dogs or Saints Row 4. Those are the only 2 open-world/sandbox style games that I haven't played yet, that I know of.
#8Krayzie4Posted 8/2/2014 1:45:29 PM
Probably wasn't released after gta 5 but I forget, Hitman HD collection.
#9Dragon NexusPosted 8/2/2014 5:28:37 PM
VividAxis posted...
^The problem is that there isn't a single name, classification, or genre that includes all open-world, free-roam, sandbox, and those types of games - into one group.

Well open world and free roam are kinda the same thing. Sandbox has more of a distinct classification but it can vary.

Some require Sandbox to be something like Minecraft, where you're dumped in the world and told to get on with it using your own imagination, crafting the world around you. Some require only that the open world be changable in some way, either by destroying stuff or building. Some don't require that so much, but want the freedom to just do whatever, like for example Just Cause 2.

I'd say JC2 was sandbox whereas Skyrim for example would be open world. It depends where the focus is, I think. If it's on just going where you like and doing whatever, however and whenever then I'd say it was a sandbox. But if the focus is on objective fulfillment, narrative, story or questing that kinda thing, I'd say it was open world.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
#10dtmrPosted 8/2/2014 5:41:32 PM
There's a new Magic The Gathering game.
---
Latiku is a jerk. He lives in a cloud and throws AIDS at decent hardworking Americans.