This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is wrong with my Xbox?!

#1MetaXGrossPosted 8/17/2014 7:00:10 AM
I have the Xbox Slim S, 250 GB HDD, shiny outer casing. I say this because I have friends who have the same model but the case isn't shiny. I guess it doesn't matter, you'll understand after I explain.

I bought this console around when it first launched, works great, everything. Awesome, love it etc.

Recently, maybe within the past year and a half, the console turns on by itself, turns off when it wants, makes the noise for when the disc tray opens and makes for when the power button is touched. If you own this console you'll know exactly what I mean by the noises.

So this is how it usually goes:

I start my day off by turning on my Xbox. Awesome. Turns on. I leave the room to grab a drink, come back in and the console is off. wth? So I try to touch the power button. Nothing. Doesn't turn on. I try hitting the disc tray button to see if that works. Nothing. So EVERY TIME it does this I have to unplug the power cord from the Xbox to get the buttons to work again. Fine, I do that and it turns on, then shuts off again. WTH?! Okay so I try again, and turn it on, and now see that my Video Settings are set back to default. Wth again?! So I change back the resolution every time it does this. After I go through about 20+ minutes of this, it'll actually work. For the whole rest of the day, no noises, no turning off, works just peachy.

Sometimes, I'll wake up to my Xbox making the power noise button, and I'll look at my Xbox and see it's turned on. I didn't turn it on, and no one in my house did. So then I'm angry because who knows how long it has been on for while I was sleeping. To stop this I just unplug it now, but that doesn't fix the problem for when I want to play when I wake up, just stops it from turning on while I sleep.

The console will also make the power noise beep while it's on, but won't turn off. Just makes the beep noise over & over every 5-10 minute intervals, then makes a beep and turns itself off. Great. Just lost all my progress in the game I was playing.

Now I have 3 friends who own the same Slim version as me, 250 GB HDD, but they don't have the shiny case like I do. Just a normal black case I guess. None of this affects any of them except for my one friend who has THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM AS ME! It just doesn't happen to him as frequent as it does me, but it's the same thing. Turns on/off, beeps randomly, video settings return to default.

Lately though, within the last 2 weeks it has gotten worse for me, almost turning off instantly as I turn it on.

I find this VERY annoying, and want to know what the problem is. I thought it might be the humidity causing this, but it happens even when I have no humidity.

So does anyone else experience this problem, or have a friend who does?
---
Not changing until the Lions win the Superbowl. 7-17-07
#2dtmrPosted 8/17/2014 7:05:46 AM
You are a masterful storyteller. I thought I was there.
---
Latiku is a jerk. He lives in a cloud and throws AIDS at decent hardworking Americans.
#3Fierce_Deity_08Posted 8/17/2014 7:10:23 AM
The only thing I can come up with is that the dang thing is haunted. Other than that, I have never heard of this happening.
---
With a roar of thunder and crash of lightning, I am Fierce Deity!
GT: OnikaraStar, PSN: Onikara, NNID: OnikaraStar
#4Axess68Posted 8/17/2014 7:12:16 AM(edited)
I'm a PC Technician who is also a 360 owner. If this was a PC, I would say that there is a problem with the Power Supply, and possible also the on-board memory. It is showing a fault in the power supply by powering itself on and off, and also by not staying on consistently at times.

The on-board memory seems to also be a problem because it doesn't remember your basic resolution settings which, I believe is stored by that unit's system memory.

If it is still under warranty, I would call Microsoft and send it in for repair.

If not, then I would find someone reputable online (or locally) who repairs Xboxes. There are people who do this for a living.
---
Axess2084 on PSN and Xbox Live. Gaming for almost 40 years now.
#5MetaXGross(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2014 7:17:43 AM
Axess68 posted...
I'm a PC Technician who is also a 360 owner. If this was a PC, I would say that there is a problem with the Power Supply, and possible also the on-board memory. It is showing a fault in the power supply by powering itself on and off, and also by not staying on consistently at times.

The on-board memory seems to also be a problem because it doesn't remember your basic resolution settings which, I believe is stored by that unit's system memory.

If it is still under warranty, I would call Microsoft and send it in for repair.

If not, then I would find someone reputable online (or locally) who repairs Xboxes. There are people who do this for a living.

That does make sense, because my Power Supply is going bad, when I play games that require to spin like Titanfall for example, I can only play them for maybe 4 or 5 hours before my Power supply goes red and overheats. If I play an installed game it doesn't turn red and shut down. As for the display settings It only resets itself when it does the constant turn off, other than that it remembers them.

I don't know if it's still under warranty, I'm assuming it's not, but with what you said I think buying a new Power Brick would solve it all. Maybe I just played my Xbox waaaayy too much. I do want to take it apart, the Console & the Power Supply to get rid of all the dust that I know it's in there. Maybe dust build up has something to do with it too?
---
#6NexusPhoenix98Posted 8/17/2014 8:31:34 AM
This juat happened to me. To fix it i unplugged the power from tge back and wiped off the power button and disc eject button. It worked for me. It does seem like it was haunted though. I woke up to my xbox turning on and off every second. Hopefully that can fix it for you though
---
My life outside of gaming-
#7helIyPosted 8/17/2014 9:12:58 AM
MetaXGross posted...
Axess68 posted...

That does make sense, because my Power Supply is going bad, when I play games that require to spin like Titanfall for example, I can only play them for maybe 4 or 5 hours before my Power supply goes red and overheats. If I play an installed game it doesn't turn red and shut down. As for the display settings It only resets itself when it does the constant turn off, other than that it remembers them.

I don't know if it's still under warranty, I'm assuming it's not, but with what you said I think buying a new Power Brick would solve it all. Maybe I just played my Xbox waaaayy too much. I do want to take it apart, the Console & the Power Supply to get rid of all the dust that I know it's in there. Maybe dust build up has something to do with it too?

yes, instead focusing on the overheating power brick, you question the Xbox itself

seems smart
---
Leader of the Destiny clan: Of The Defiant
get on our level. http://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/Pending/167393
#8dtmrPosted 8/17/2014 9:44:23 AM
Why didn't you mention the power brick overheating in that yarn you spun? I take back my compliment. Plot holes.
---
Latiku is a jerk. He lives in a cloud and throws AIDS at decent hardworking Americans.
#9MetaXGross(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2014 10:03:20 AM
helIy posted...
MetaXGross posted...
Axess68 posted...

yes, instead focusing on the overheating power brick, you question the Xbox itself

seems smart

The power brick recently just started overheating. Around Titanfall launch. The problem I've been having has been happening long before Titanfall. And really I don't know when the Power Brick started going faulty because it only overheats when I play a game that has to spin, like Titanfall or GTA V. I install all my games and like I said, I can play them FOR HOURS on end without the power brick going red, but when I play Titanfall 3+hours straight/GTA V it'll go red.
---
#10Axess68Posted 8/17/2014 10:13:20 AM(edited)
Well, like I said, if it's under warranty, get new stuff from MS.

If not, I would still have someone service it and fix it before you go opening it up. Unless you have technical experience, a tragedy could happen. I would also back up everything you have (saves, profiles, etc.) onto a 32gb Thumb Drive (or USB HDD) before you do anything -- just to be safe.
---
Axess2084 on PSN and Xbox Live. Gaming for almost 40 years now.