This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Everything Wrong with Tomb Raider in 15 min (Video) (SPOILERS!)

#1levyjl1988Posted 8/20/2014 6:27:27 PM
http://youtu.be/4RTa4QrvxSY
---
I hate games with bad game design
#2SeekAndDestroy2Posted 8/20/2014 6:58:38 PM
15 minutes is way too long I'm not watching that. You could at least just sum up what is wrong with it in text instead of being lazy and just putting a youtube link and nothing else.

My gripes with the game:

Lara's character progression is too drastic and unrealistic. I don't care if she is being exposed to all sorts of horrible s*** on the island she becomes a bloodthirsty psychopath pretty much immediately. She is way more violent than she should have been IMO.

Level design: The first time you go through an area it's great because it's mostly linear. It's when you go back to look for hidden stuff that you realize the level design just doesn't work very well for what they tried to accomplish with it. They tried to make it a metriodvania style thing but it's messy and was obviously intended to be linear and not "open world". I wish they would have picked one style instead combing the two, if that makes any sense. This leads to another gripe I had...

Backtracking is pointless: besides getting 100% for the achievement there is literally no reason to backtrack and explore old areas with new gear. There are no side missions or secret levels or anything like that. Just journals that add to the story that you can pick up your first time through an area. I always had more than enough XP and salvage so going back to collect more of it was pointless. Every time I revisited a level I would leave feeling like I had just wasted my time. That is not what backtracking is supposed to feel like at all, it should be rewarding.

The Tombs: Man did they drop the ball with these. There are only 6 (?) of them and they are just short 15 minute puzzles and nothing more. They were fun and worth raiding but not what I expected out of the series, they were a letdown. And all of them are easy to find so it wasn't like I stumbled upon them or anything. They should either have been longer and more challenging or there should have been at least twice as many of them. How cool would it have been if backtracking with new gear opened up new tombs to explore?

Other than that I LOVED the game it was very enjoyable and I can't wait for the sequel.
---
We're living at the mercy of the pain and the fear,
Until we dead it, forget it, let it all disappear.
#3scoobydoobydontPosted 8/20/2014 10:39:29 PM
Summary: You should watch it. =P

It's not a critique of the gameplay so much as mocking every nonsensical thing said or done in the cutscenes, QTEs, et cetera. He normally nitpicks movies, this is the first I'm seeing of him doing games. Pretty funny and most of the "sins" are valid criticisms. He lists just over 100 things wrong, it would be too much effort to list them, even if you dismiss the 20 or so iffy ones.
---
http://i.imgur.com/8LUhEFG.jpg
#4Jedi454Posted 8/20/2014 10:41:47 PM
All I see is a man making a click bait youtube video to get views and subs.
#5scoobydoobydontPosted 8/20/2014 10:48:10 PM
Jedi454 posted...

Lol, are you joking?
---
http://i.imgur.com/8LUhEFG.jpg
#6Jedi454Posted 8/20/2014 10:52:14 PM
scoobydoobydont posted...
Jedi454 posted...

Lol, are you joking?

Scooby pls.

I wasn't born yesterday, I know how youtube works. There was a lot of exaggerations in the couple of minutes I watched.
#7DarkSymbiotePosted 8/20/2014 10:55:38 PM
Terrible copy of Cinema Sins, which itself has gone downhill.
---
My Watch Dogs Review:
gamefaqs.com/X360/673018-watch-dogs/reviews/review-158355
#8The_RiptidePosted 8/20/2014 11:51:17 PM
DarkSymbiote posted...

The videos were entertaining at first, but then they became self referential and profane for no reason. It's like the makers of it became so obsessed with mocking issues with movies that they themselves then became prey to.
#9DarkSymbiotePosted 8/20/2014 11:53:43 PM
The_Riptide posted...
DarkSymbiote posted...

The videos were entertaining at first, but then they became self referential and profane for no reason. It's like the makers of it became so obsessed with mocking issues with movies that they themselves then became prey to.

I know. Now almost every new video has something about "this scene does not contain a lap dance" or "this actress isn't my girlfriend in this scene". Aside from taking away sins for odd things and being generally unfunny.

I hope it does improve in time.
---
My Watch Dogs Review:
gamefaqs.com/X360/673018-watch-dogs/reviews/review-158355
#10hoggys2much99Posted 8/21/2014 12:13:09 AM
Not watching that crappy as hell video as Tomb Raider 2013 was perfect in every way imaginable.

Oh look more criticism of the lack of Tombs. Well I would like to ask how many of those gamers that criticize the lack of tombs in Tomb Raider 2013 have actually played Tomb Raider's 2 & 3 where there were NO TOMBS WHATSOEVER in those two games.

TR 2013 had more tombs than those two games combined. Go and play those two games then come back and criticize TR's lack of tombs.

There was nothing wrong with the backtracking. Again have anyone here who criticizes the backtracking ever played the original games as there was more backtracking in those games than there was in that game.

The criticizing of Lara's character and what she became nothing wrong with it. I do not understand why everyone is only now picking on Lara for shooting Human enemies when she has only been shooting Human enemies since Tomb Raider 2 (Larson, Pierre and Jacqueline Natla from TR1 not withstanding). I reckon she shoots more Humans in TR 2 than she did in this game.

So that crap video is just more criticism from people who have never played the classics.

If they hate this then I hate to think of what they are going to think of ROTTR where we see my darling gorgeous sweetheart become the Lara Croft we all know and love.
---
GT: hoggys2much
Don't **** with a Witch - Bayonetta