This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do people really get banned from XBL for using non-licensed drives?

#1TLR_Posted 8/26/2014 7:05:58 PM
So the sale that just started made it very clear that 120GB ain't gonna work out for me.

I've got a ton of 500GBs laying around and wouldn't even mind grabbing an SSD for my e-slim X360. But I hear all this about the risk of getting banned... which is a big deal since it's not only the account on my Windows Phone, but my Surface Pro 3 and HTPC... a lot could go down the drain there :\

Can I safely toss a 500GB in there? I'd surely be letting the system use it's own formatting tools.
---
Windows 8 is superior to Windows 7, LEARN THE FACTS!
http://verytechnical.wordpress.com/2013/07/05/the-truth-about-windows-8/
#2cory1225Posted 8/26/2014 7:08:20 PM
You will not get banned for that lol
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKJPwk_8mJU
Gt= oH BluRRie Psn = oH_BluRRie
#3thekozmicpigPosted 8/26/2014 7:13:32 PM
Do you want Kurgan to yell at you? Because this is how you get Kurgan to yell at you.
---
Feels like the depths of hell were unleashed upon my ass. - nivlac_rebuats
#4smak52607Posted 8/26/2014 7:23:46 PM
No, microsoft has no way of knowing what kind of hdd your using. The 3rd party ones use the microsoft coding, so even if they scan for them it will come up as their own product. Ive been using my 3rd party hdd for 4 years now, and as weird as it sounds i have heard about official hdds failing more than 3rd party ones.

Btw, kurgan will come in and post a book and a half on rules and the ms tos. Just ignore him, or block him like most of the posters here already have.
#5MabusIncarnatePosted 8/26/2014 7:35:58 PM
thekozmicpig posted...
Do you want Kurgan to yell at you? Because this is how you get Kurgan to yell at you.

XD

It's funny because it's true.
#6Dragon NexusPosted 8/26/2014 7:50:22 PM
smak52607 posted...
No, microsoft has no way of knowing what kind of hdd your using.

They do. The drives have a serial number, they have a partition with files in it you cannot access that likely hold drive info.

They've said on record it's against the ToU to use a phat hard drive in an S model. They can definitely tell if you're using a not 250 or 500 GB drive for an S model or E model console.

However...I've yet to hear anyone actually getting banned for it. MS can most definitely ban you for doing it as it's considered hardware tampering. Whether they actually are banning people for it is more of an unknown. I somewhat doubt it.

As for TC's question, you have a 500GB drive, I believe you'd need to format it a certain way to get it to work on the 360, otherwise you're only going to be able to use 32GB of it as an external drive. It's not a simple matter of stuffing it in and it'll work.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
#7Seanie1200Posted 8/26/2014 7:51:19 PM
No you won't get banned but non-licensed drives will cause your underpants to become carnivorous and consume your genitals.
#8GorillaInHoagiePosted 8/26/2014 8:04:01 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9GorillaInHoagiePosted 8/26/2014 8:04:31 PM
The warranty denial happened to someone on this board about 2 years ago, and they did NOT leave the HDD in the system when they sent it in, but they could still tell it was in there.

They can scan your hardware for whatever the f*** they want, including a scan of the hard drive's make, model, and serial number, and if those things don't match the official products, they can void your warranty, ban your hardware, or ban your Live account, their choice.

As far as you not being able to find something.....you need to keep being reminded of the mass ban sweep of 2008 where nearly a million people got banned in one sweep, some of them for 3rd party hard drives.

Also don't forget that Microsoft can ban anyone for anything even when they DON'T violate the ToS, as they proved in "Operation: Game Over" where they banned 3500+ people for NOT actually violating the ToS at all.

In the age of digital games are you really willing to risk everything you've spent on those games that are tied to your account??? If you get banned and there's things you don't have downloaded, it's all gone, your access to those things is cut off immediately when you get banned. If you get hardware banned you're f***ed, because I seriously doubt they're going to let you do a license transfer to a new machine from a banned system.

---
"And before anyone asks, yes, I have been shot before" - gabrius
#10Seanie1200Posted 8/26/2014 9:34:01 PM
GorillaInHoagie posted...
The warranty denial happened to someone on this board about 2 years ago, and they did NOT leave the HDD in the system when they sent it in, but they could still tell it was in there.

They can scan your hardware for whatever the f*** they want, including a scan of the hard drive's make, model, and serial number, and if those things don't match the official products, they can void your warranty, ban your hardware, or ban your Live account, their choice.

As far as you not being able to find something.....you need to keep being reminded of the mass ban sweep of 2008 where nearly a million people got banned in one sweep, some of them for 3rd party hard drives.

Also don't forget that Microsoft can ban anyone for anything even when they DON'T violate the ToS, as they proved in "Operation: Game Over" where they banned 3500+ people for NOT actually violating the ToS at all.

In the age of digital games are you really willing to risk everything you've spent on those games that are tied to your account??? If you get banned and there's things you don't have downloaded, it's all gone, your access to those things is cut off immediately when you get banned. If you get hardware banned you're f***ed, because I seriously doubt they're going to let you do a license transfer to a new machine from a banned system.

Deja Vu........