This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

To Collect or not to collect

#1MrluzoPosted 8/28/2014 1:45:50 PM
I am playing Far Cry 3 and Assassin Creed 4 at the moment. Lot of collectibles. I was trying to collect all the treasure chests in Far Cry 3 on the first Island but have pretty much lost interest, same for Assassins Creed 4, with the treasure chests and fragments. The treasure maps are quite interesting though.

Then I tried to think of a game I have played recently that had no collectibles. GTA 5, Tomb Raider, Borderlands 2, Sleeping Dogs and Mafia 2...All had collectibles.

I understand collectibles have a point as far as fleshing out the game, leveling up and rewarding the player, but, is there anything that could replace the collecting and still offer similar benefits?

Whilst endearing, it can become somewhat irritating, when the chest or particular collectible I am looking for is in a not so obvious place or requires roaming the map for a few minutes with out anything of interest occurring.

Anyone enjoy collecting and how about a game just based on collecting? Is there one? By that I mean, starting at point 0 and moving across the map just collecting and looking for items without any action. A treasure hunt, if you please. Anyone like that formula for a game?
#2MabusIncarnatePosted 8/28/2014 2:05:13 PM
I enjoy collecting if I enjoy the game and it isn't excessive. I liked the bobbleheads in Fallout 3, but hated the ingots in The Pitt expansion. Far Cry 3 I got everything possible, but wouldn't begin to collect everything in an Assassins Creed game.

As far as a game based around solely collecting, unless they did something with it entirely innovative, I think it would bore me to death after a couple of hours.
#3Dragon NexusPosted 8/28/2014 2:07:35 PM
Collectables, in general, exist as meaningless fluff to extend the game length and make you feel like you got your money's worth.

There are games with worth while collectables, but AC tends not to be that.

I don't mind collectables if it leads to something worth while, or if the collectable itself has a benefit like in Crackdown.
R* had a good thing going with collectables in the GTA3 trilogy because getting X amount would unlock stuff at your crib, so it was worth finding them because free weapons are always useful. But then in GTAIV and GTAV they were a complete waste of time with no periodic rewards and a relatively weak final reward.

I always get all the collectables because I'm a completionist nutter that way, but some feel like more of a grind than others. GTAV was a freakin chore. AC4, at least, felt like more of a methodical grind. Reach an island, find the view point, scamper up it/them, grab the items as you run around, get back on ship, repeat. Or for larger areas, grab the items as you're running around doing stuff. When you run out of stuff to do, mop up the rest.

AC4, at least, showed you where everything was without having to wait for purchasable maps to unlock in the shops. If you're going to include a butt load of collectables, for goodness sakes offer the gamer a way of locating them on their maps. Don't use it as a way of flogging player guides (thinking of FF13 when I say that. That game was built around the idea of flogging game guides).
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
#4fiasco86Posted 8/28/2014 2:33:42 PM
Collectibles are one of those things in gaming that have to be very finely balanced and implemented very well. If not, they just feel like a chore. Most games get it wrong.
---
Watch the Summer of Co-op! http://www.youtube.com/vgfiasco
Legendary A Mod/Admin replied on 8/25/2014 4:59:42 AM: My mistake.
#5thekozmicpigPosted 8/28/2014 2:37:00 PM
I tend to do it because I like having 100% completion and all achievements, but I can see why some gamers choose to ignore them.

To each his own.
---
Feels like the depths of hell were unleashed upon my ass. - nivlac_rebuats
#6vigorm0rtisPosted 8/28/2014 2:38:45 PM
Games that offer an incentive for collectibles are the only ones I bother with. In FC3, it's worth finding the idols, letters and memory chips because they give experience and unlock signature weapons, but the rest of it... money becomes pretty much meaningless by mid game.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF http://i.imgur.com/D9R0iaQ.gif
#7Mrluzo(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2014 3:11:39 PM
Some fine points. Now, let us take for example the five games I have mentioned, without collecting would they offer the same experience? If, you could get the new gun, or level up or achieve the reward(be it artwork or a new costume)simply by means of completing a task other than collecting(i.e.complete a story mission) would it take away from the game?...

Certainly it would offer less playtime, but maybe it would encourage developers to come up with new game play, besides collecting?
#8vigorm0rtisPosted 8/28/2014 3:16:57 PM
I think in open worlds, devs are tempted toward collectibles to encourage exploration. It makes sense. It can be overwhelming in some games, though-- open worlds are getting really big and detailed.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF http://i.imgur.com/D9R0iaQ.gif
#9Dragon NexusPosted 8/28/2014 4:31:30 PM
vigorm0rtis posted...
I think in open worlds, devs are tempted toward collectibles to encourage exploration.

Except the collectables become the only reason to explore.
If you need a collectable to entice players to explore your world, you're probably doing things wrong. Look at JC2, the game has thousands of collectables, but it's not expected you'd find them all. They put in so many that you basically trip over the things. You don't explore to find them, you find them while you're exploring. That's the key difference.

I already want to go out and about in the world of JC2 to find bases and towns and etc to mess around in. Finding weapons parts or health upgrades along the way is just a nifty bonus.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
#10JoboHotepPosted 8/28/2014 4:38:57 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...
I don't mind collectables if it leads to something worth while, or if the collectable itself has a benefit like in Crackdown.
R* had a good thing going with collectables in the GTA3 trilogy because getting X amount would unlock stuff at your crib, so it was worth finding them because free weapons are always useful. But then in GTAIV and GTAV they were a complete waste of time with no periodic rewards and a relatively weak final reward.

^^^ This for me. If I get something useful or fun out of them, I'll attempt to get as many as I can. Even then, I won't go too far out of my way, and very rarely get all of them.
---
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams- Willy Wonka