This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

About the game Wet...

#31Raziel-LegacyPosted 8/31/2014 11:42:07 AM
...um, if we are done talking about the grammar, I would like to get this topic back on track.

Wet is definitely an interesting little game. I wouldn't buy it, but I would say it is worth a rent. As a previous poster said, the bosses are all QTEs. That really killed the game for me because you're playing as the badass chick who knows her way around a gun, and yet they just have you hit a specific button in order to kill a boss. Boring! I have these guns, let me shoot him.

The art style of the game may get a little annoying. After a bit of playing it, my eyes started to hurt. It's that white-and black style (almost like Sin City), but it just wasn't all that appealing for me.

Mechanically, it is a bit stiff. It's kind of clunky. If you have played any of the Tomb Raider games, you'll know what I mean. This can lead to some cheap deaths because your character doesn't move as fast as you need them to in order to get out of a sticky situation.

Overall, it's just a rent from me. Oddly, the game Remember Me reminded me a lot of Wet, which is probably why I wasn't a huge fan of that game either.
---
Were they so debased as to recruit fledglings from the desiccated corpses here interred?
#32etymologistPosted 8/31/2014 12:04:21 PM
Well. So.

I was trying to help by making sure he had the right term. That is all. I hate people who come in and (key words) try to act like they are better than others for being better at grammar. There are mistakes and then there is butchering the English language. I can handle mistakes. I like trying to help. If you don't want help, okay...I'll go back to my life. But I'm not a grammar Nazi and I don't like people who think that way. I also don't like people who butcher the language.

Yes those are complete thoughts. Yes, complete thoughts can be expressed in a list:

We went to the store, we saw the items we needed, and we bought them all.

That is correct usage. Most style manuals, including such venerated classics as Strunk and White, advise using semicolons to separate lists of longer items. Commas are not technically incorrect, but they are frowned upon since they make things confusing. It is a style issue, though I understand your confusion; most English teachers don't have the balls to say it's not a rule, that it's a strong suggestion in guides like APA and MLA.

For the record. I teach English in college. I don't "think" I'm an English teacher, I am one. The comma in my last sentence is used for style, though it is technically a comma splice. I've studied this a long time and know exactly what I'm talking about. Style allows you to bend the rules...if you have a teacher work his or her salt.

And yes, I still hate grammar Nazis. They're barbarians.
---
If it's a polite English word, it's probably French-based. If it's rude/graphic, it's likely Germanic.
#33simonbelmont2Posted 8/31/2014 12:05:37 PM
I enjoyed the demo for the game and I'd probably buy it for the right price. I like the art style and the game reminds me of Gungrave in some ways.
---
The world calls out for a new ringmaster. Earth and man and monster all. All are equal parts within the whole.
#34etymologistPosted 8/31/2014 12:16:49 PM
Ok, this too: I didn't come to argue. I like reading about games. I tried to help and it didnt go over that great...so can we get back on topic?
---
If it's a polite English word, it's probably French-based. If it's rude/graphic, it's likely Germanic.
#35thatauthor(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2014 1:18:40 PM
etymologist posted...
Ok, this too: I didn't come to argue. I like reading about games. I tried to help and it didnt go over that great...so can we get back on topic?

I agree with this post.
---
I have to browse like a peasant ~ pizzaman95
#36Walkman_005Posted 8/31/2014 1:51:54 PM
It's a fun play. Take it for what it is.

Hot chick with swords and guns and some badass sliding and shooting and some awesome music.
#37etymologistPosted 8/31/2014 1:58:30 PM
On topic: I agree completely with the last poster. I haven't played it in a long time, but it's been sitting on my shelf calling me. It wasn't terrific, though I do agree with the earlier poster who stated that it has a great soundtrack. If you haven't tried it, give it a go.
---
#38TLR_Posted 8/31/2014 2:29:10 PM(edited)
BlueJester007 posted...
Isn't "grammar nazi" the hip term the kids are using these days to describe people who correct other folk's grammar?

Only when it's out of context or used to stroke one's own ego without even the slightest hint of actual constructiveness... that's when they just start looking like the 15 year old wannabe philosopher who exhibits horribly banal behavior (riding Salinger's jock, trying to mine depth out of garbage like ICP... and yes; correcting grammar in something that had no intent to be grammatically proficient) to appear deep, intelligent or portray a sense of superiority.

To answer the original question, no I'm not an English major and have no aspirations to be. I do make my own attempts at providing my own writing style and I do enjoy writing; but like many other writers, I'll admit to being unafraid to ditch certain degrees of conventional grammatical proficiency for impact.
---
Windows 8 is superior to Windows 7, LEARN THE FACTS!
http://verytechnical.wordpress.com/2013/07/05/the-truth-about-windows-8/
#39BlueJester007Posted 8/31/2014 2:53:17 PM
TLR_ posted...
To answer the original question, no I'm not an English major and have no aspirations to be. I do make my own attempts at providing my own writing style and I do enjoy writing; but like many other writers, I'll admit to being unafraid to ditch certain degrees of conventional grammatical proficiency for impact.

And your review of Wet was good. It just needed to be tweaked. No ill-will was meant at all. I've seen a lot worse - A LOT worse.

But to get this topic back, Wet's alright. I wouldn't call it a unique game, but it's a fine little third-person action game. I'd rent it.
---
We get to the end of the hallway and take a f***in' s***!