This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any theories why my PS3 won't play DVD's?

#1lostkiwiPosted 8/29/2011 3:25:57 PM
Well, my PS3 used to play DVD's and Blu Ray's fine. We've since upgraded our TV, and last night I discovered that DVD's will no longer play. It will start loading, but then the PS3 goes quiet and my TV reports that it's no longer got an input signal.

Here's what I know:
- The PS3 still plays games fine, it only seems to occur with DVD movies
- The PS3, for the most part, is set to factory settings
- The PS3 used to play DVD's fine on the old TV
- If I plug in our DVD player to the TV, using exactly the same HDMI cable, it works fine. It therefore seems to be something specific between the PS3 and TV.

Any theories?
---
Please support the gaming industry that both you and I love by choosing to play your games legally.
#2Anodyne11Posted 8/29/2011 3:28:54 PM
Possibly a sign that the bluray drive is failing.
They don't flat out fail, but usually loses the ability to read certain discs first. (Like when one of my old DVD drives in my PC failed, it lost the ability to read DVDs but could still read CDs)
---
Valkyria Chronicles is the best RPG this gen!
Official Ultimecia of the Dissidia 012: Duodecim boards
#3blowsephPosted 8/29/2011 3:31:27 PM
Perhaps it's got something to do with a DVD upscaling setting that you didn't need before when you had the older TV (that may have had a lower standard resolution?)
---
GT5 minimal buy FAQ: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/941103-gran-turismo-5/faqs/61568
#4lostkiwi(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2011 3:32:59 PM
I honestly don't think it's anything to do with the blu ray drive, it will be something to do with a PS3 setting & new TV.

It was working 100% fine with the old TV. In fact, I'll try tonight, but I'm pretty sure if I plug it back into the old tv, it will still work fine.
---
Please support the gaming industry that both you and I love by choosing to play your games legally.
#5lostkiwi(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2011 3:34:50 PM
Perhaps it's got something to do with a DVD upscaling setting that you didn't need before when you had the older TV (that may have had a lower standard resolution?)

Yeah, that was my initial guess. I played around with the Upscaling options in the Video Settings of the PS3, but it didn't have any impact. I'm not sure if that's the only place where upscaling can be set though.
---
#6lostkiwi(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2011 3:42:11 PM
Well, as a quick update to anyone else who has this problem, from other posts it may be a problem to do with resolutions. I'll give it a go tonight, but it seems that playing around with these settings will likely fix it. I'm not too sure about the combinations yet though until I have a chance to try.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/videooutput.html
---
#7archizzyPosted 8/29/2011 3:52:50 PM
If you have HDMI selected and all resolutions selected there shouldn't be an issue. Whether you are upscaling or not shouldn't matter either. That simply changes where the scaling is taking place, either at the player or at the tv. All modern flat panel tvs will accept all resolutions.

It is not possible to delselect 480i so at a minimum you should be getting a picture. Out of curiosity will you put in a music CD and see if it plays?
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#8lostkiwi(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2011 4:30:01 PM
If you have HDMI selected and all resolutions selected there shouldn't be an issue. Whether you are upscaling or not shouldn't matter either. That simply changes where the scaling is taking place, either at the player or at the tv. All modern flat panel tvs will accept all resolutions.

It is not possible to delselect 480i so at a minimum you should be getting a picture. Out of curiosity will you put in a music CD and see if it plays?

I'm not sure, I'll give it a try tonight (I'm at work at the moment). I could in the past, but again that was with the old TV.
---
#9archizzyPosted 8/29/2011 4:34:03 PM
lostkiwi posted...

I'm not sure, I'll give it a try tonight (I'm at work at the moment). I could in the past, but again that was with the old TV.

Just for reference the reason I ask about CDs is because it is possible that your red laser has failed. It may just be a coincidence with the new tv.

If both CDs and DVDs aren't working it points to the laser. If CD's work fine then it is some type of setting though off the top of my head it shouldn't be a setting issue since you aren't allowed to disable standard definition 480i and all tvs, whether SD or HD will display 480i.

This leads me to check CDs to see if it is a laser issue, or at least rule it out of the scenario.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#10lostkiwi(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2011 4:59:22 PM
Cool, thanks for the info Archizzy
---