This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do i transfer data from my old ps3 to my new one?

#1LiToKrUsHeRPosted 10/26/2011 5:13:18 PM
My old ps3(the first one to come out) got the Ylod a month after PSN was hacked and im just getting my new one now. I did the tempoary fix to my old ps3 and was wondering how to get my old ps3 data on my new one.
---
PSN: LiToKrUsHeR
Mike Hawke likes yur face
#2pukkating786Posted 10/26/2011 5:28:52 PM
If you have 2 ps3's and an ethernet cable then use that and do a "Data Transfer Utility" and if you can't do that back up everything to an external hard drive and go to system settings and choose back up :D then on the new ps3 join up the external hard drive and go into the ps3 system settings and choose restore :D

Remember to go onto your old ps3 and sign in then go onto account management and click on system activation and deactivate your ps3 on games and video's :D
---
PSN ID: pukkating786
2004 - EyeToy, 2006 - Wii 2007 - PSP/PS3 Remote Play, 2012 - Wii U
#3LionHeart823Posted 10/26/2011 5:44:12 PM
If you are going to use the "Data Transfer Utility" function, make sure you disable the internet connection on BOTH of your PS3. I couldn't get my data transferred and keep getting error because I didn't disable internet on both PS3. Some other people had this problem as well. but yea.. the best way is to us "Data Transfer Utility" instead of backing up with external hard drive and such
---
~There are many worlds but they share the same sky~
One sky, One destiny. PSN: LionHeart1203
#4DaRk RiDeRPosted 10/26/2011 9:46:34 PM
if you do data transfer utility, will it erase data from the old ps3?

thinking about picking up a second ps3 soon and just want to copy data from my current ps3 to the new one.
---
I was staring through the cage of those meticulous ink strokes... at an absolute beauty.
#5Jun336Posted 10/26/2011 9:58:32 PM
No, only the copy protected games from your old ps3 are deleted and transferred to your new One. As for disabling your Internet, it doesn't matter because your ps3's are hooked up to eachother with a Ethernet cord.
---
Sony Stallion
#6LionHeart823Posted 10/27/2011 2:11:37 PM
it matters

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/44392/how-to-transfer-all-your-information-to-a-new-ps3/

People who get errors are usually the ones that didn't disable internet on the PS3s
---
~There are many worlds but they share the same sky~
One sky, One destiny. PSN: LionHeart1203
#7darkshadowmasterPosted 10/27/2011 2:14:18 PM
Odd, I've transferred 3x now & never disabled my internet.
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
#8ComfortablySadPosted 10/27/2011 2:21:17 PM(edited)
DaRk RiDeR posted...
if you do data transfer utility, will it erase data from the old ps3?

Nope, both PS3s will have the same stuff. I just got a new slim and transferred my 60gb to it and the process is like this.

1. Login to PSN and Sync trophies on old PS3
2. Turn on new PS3 and connect it to old PS3 via network cable (make sure both systems are on the same firmware version)
3. Start transfer wizard on old PS3 in send mode
4. Switch screens to new PS3 and start data transfer wizard in receive mode (will format drive) *wait a long time for transfer to finish*
5. Sync trophies on new PS3

The wizard will mention deactivating your old PS3 but ignore that. Only need to worry about that if you have more than 5 PS3s.

Edit, typos and clarity.
---
Teenage angst has paid off well, now I'm bored and old.
#9ComfortablySadPosted 10/27/2011 2:24:44 PM
pukkating786 posted...
back up everything to an external hard drive and go to system settings and choose back up :D then on the new ps3 join up the external hard drive and go into the ps3 system settings and choose restore :D

I did this about 2 weeks ago and sadly it didn't work (fw3.72). None of my PSN games, patches, or protected saves transferred so I had to use the data transfer utility. =-(
---
Teenage angst has paid off well, now I'm bored and old.
#10darkshadowmasterPosted 10/27/2011 2:28:12 PM(edited)
btw, if you care about your trophies sync them on your old ps3 before you transfer, and as the other poster said the only thing that will be deleted are copy protected files that auto-delete from the old console after they are transfered to the new console.

and if you can't do that back up everything to an external hard drive and go to system settings and choose back up :D then on the new ps3 join up the external hard drive and go into the ps3 system settings and choose restore :D

That doesn't work for a transfer, You can only use that restore file on the PS3 you created it on, otherwise it restores everything but copy protected stuff.

---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.