This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How much does it cost to repair a PS3 at sony? Fat and Slim price?

#1iori3000Posted 10/28/2011 9:42:24 PM
Just curious.. I know it was $150 prior to the price cut when the lowest was $299 but what about now? ANd how much for a far 60 gb repair? I have both a slim 120 gb and fat 60 gb launch model and am preparing for the fat to YLOD soon.. I dunno you know it's a crapshoot having one so I'm just scared LOL!! But is the price still the same? I hear they will send you a slim instead if you broke the fat model... That kinda sucks considering I like the full backwards compatibility.
---
PSN: GoTigers9999
Steam ID: Iori-_-
#2iori3000(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2011 9:51:02 PM
Bump!!
---
#3blowsephPosted 10/28/2011 9:53:10 PM

I hear they will send you a slim instead if you broke the fat model

Chances are pretty high that that's exactly what is going to happen.
---
GT5 minimal buy FAQ: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/941103-gran-turismo-5/faqs/61568
#4Hellz_SeraphPosted 10/28/2011 9:59:20 PM
Go with Gophermods
$70 + shipping and handling, and they'll fix YOUR console within 1-2 weeks (depending on shipping time).. Pretty legit too; I just got mine back not too long ago from repair (YLoD) and it's been working great!
---
Rip ones heart out with my bare hands, Watching the lifeless body drop to the floor, laughing, Blood gushing down a path straight to Hell!... PSN: HellzAssassn
#5iori3000(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2011 10:01:24 PM
Hellz_Seraph posted...
Go with Gophermods
$70 + shipping and handling, and they'll fix YOUR console within 1-2 weeks (depending on shipping time).. Pretty legit too; I just got mine back not too long ago from repair (YLoD) and it's been working great!

I honestly can't trust a third party repair store, but if Sony won't fix the fat and will just trade in a slim then I guess I'll go with that. BUt then again I could just sell the slim I get back on ebay and use the money to buy a refurbed fat from gamestop..
---
#6iori3000(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2011 10:44:34 PM
Let me clarify though, I'm sure they are great repairmen, but I want to get it back to factory once it YLODs.. I guess going to a trusted 3rd party repair service is great if the Warranty seal was broken, as I believe Sony won't even look at it then..
---
#7wolfgard hannusenPosted 10/28/2011 11:03:50 PM(edited)
Thanks for the tip on Gopher Mods.
Being Mpls based I'll try them when repairs are needed.

What are the advantages of Fat vs Slim?
The 3 yr Warranty on Fat 80 ends soon.Was planning on shipping for repairs.
Why would I not want a Slim replacement?
---
World Record Holder Best Score Dynasty Tactics 2,16 Gold 99,999's Vs 10.
#8iori3000(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2011 11:11:32 PM
wolfgard hannusen posted...
Thanks for the tip on Gopher Mods.
Being Mpls based I'll try them when repairs are needed.

What are the advantages of Fat vs Slim?
The 3 yr Warranty on Fat 80 ends soon.Was planning on shipping for repairs.
Why would I not want a Slim replacement?

Nothing, if both are non-backwards compatible, the slim is superior.. The older fats have more USB ports, sd card reader slots and of course ps2 backwards compatibility with also super audio cd support(not a big deal as no one uses that feature).. If it's not a launch model it won't have the emotion engine, therefore it will not have FULL backwards compatibility and will be like the xbox where it's partial and doesn't do all ps2 games.. If yours is a newer fat with no BC and you send it to sony, they could send you back a slim for 100 bucks.. And the great part is that is will probably be new and not refurbished, so if you wanted, you could ebay the new slim you got for a refurbished BC fat ps3 on the market. My two cents atleast.. I think if you have a launch model, you probably would want to do everything possible to get that repaired however.. I believe the older fats have slightly more memory as well from what I've read.. Not positive..
---