This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Complete List of Turn-Based (Non-strategy) RPGs for PS3?

#1ACAPosted 1/26/2012 7:05:40 AM
I'm going to have brief access to a PS3 for a few months. My favorite genre is turn-based, non-strategy RPG.

Examples from prior consoles include Final Fantasy, Suikoden, Dragon Warrior, Shadow Hearts, Chrono, SMRPG, Wild Arms.

I'd like to play as many turn-based PS3 RPGs as possible while I have this PS3 available to me, and getting a list via GameSpot/IGN has been troublesome.

Could you please post a complete list of turn-based RPGs that fit the genre of the examples above? If you want to rank, it'd be a help; if not, just a list is more than enough.

Thanks so much.
---
www.intunemusiconline.com
Concert reviews and interviews.
#2Ryphis_DemeanorPosted 1/26/2012 8:12:03 AM
Those area dying breed and most people who own a PS3 would recommend playing both Valkyria Chronicles and Demon/Dark's Souls. Though they aren't turn-based they are the very best in the pseudo-jrpg genre. Others from best to worse:

Valkyria Chronicles (it is strategy but very turn based)
Final Fantasy 13
Dragon Age Origins or Dragon Age 2
Resonance of Fate (very unique JRPG)
Star Ocean 4 International
Eternal Sonata
White Knight Chronicles (haven't played WKCII yet, but if you are interested only get 2, it includes the first game)

There are a few more and the legions of upskirt JRPG fans will soon be in this post to recommend those subpar games.
#3FungusguyPosted 1/26/2012 8:21:10 AM
Ryphis_Demeanor posted...
There are a few more and the legions of upskirt JRPG fans will soon be in this post to recommend those subpar games.

Atelier Rorona
Atelier Totori

... and the non-turn-based Ar Tonelico Qoga
---
Nature knows no indecencies; man invents them. ~Mark Twain
#4UpyersPosted 1/26/2012 8:26:37 AM
i know what you mean TC but turn based are rare but theres costume quest and its addon
---
19 With A Son And Married:)
PSN: Upyers
#5RotuhiiriPosted 1/26/2012 8:29:36 AM(edited)
I wouldn't say the posters above listed turn-based RPGs really.

Atelier Totori
Atelier Rorona
Atelier Meruru (out soon)
Hyperdimension Neptunia
Hyperdimension Neptunia MK-2 (out very soon)
Resonance of Fate (not traditional but turn-based)
Eternal Sonata
Trinity Universe
Enchanted Arms (grids but not SRPG)
Cross Edge (grids but not SRPG)

That is it I believe. There are more RPGs but turn-based combat was bigger last gen.

White Knight Chronicles 1 & 2 are in a way turn-based. There is a bar filling and you attack once it is filled and so does your enemies but it is different from the ones you mentioned.
---
Dreamcast/Gamecube/Mega Drive/PC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP/Saturn/Xbox/Xbox 360/Wii gamer
#6ACA(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2012 8:32:24 AM
Thanks for the responses.

It doesn't have to be "wait" turn-based; to use a well-known example, Final Fantasy VII had an active bar that filled up. If you didn't pay attention, enemies could attack. So if there are any of those "turn-based", that's cool, too.
---
#7VampiricDragon_Posted 1/26/2012 8:55:33 AM
a bunch of new ones are coming out this year.

The image epoch rpg, infinite souls, the cladun team dungeon rpg, amongst other things
---
Games to Watch: Legasista PS3,SRW OG 3,Toki to Towa PS3, Dragon Quest X,Bravely Default,Fire Emblem 3DS,Infinite Souls, Paper Mario,Nayuta no Kiseki PSP
#8ACA(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2012 9:04:31 AM
Ryphis_Demeanor posted...
Dragon Age Origins or Dragon Age 2

I've seen this in action.. it's more of a KOTOR game than turn-based RPG like FF (which is what I'm looking for).

Right?
---
#9MrMolinaroPosted 1/26/2012 9:32:00 AM
The only old school turn-based games I know of are Xbox exclusive.
Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon

Valkyria Chronicles is the only PS3 game that I have played that would fit the bill but it is a SRPG.
#10aegilnetPosted 1/26/2012 10:53:38 AM(edited)
You should check out White Knight Chronicles II

or

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection - just for the Shining Force 1 & 2 and Shining in the Darkness games.