This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone use Verizon 4g mobile hotspot (cell phone) for online gaming?

#1Roco32373Posted 3/13/2012 9:28:17 PM
And if so...does it work or does it LAAAAGGGGGG?
#2SamusFarronPosted 3/13/2012 9:38:54 PM
I do. Moved into a new place a few months ago, was grandfathered into unlimited data at Verizon so I dropped the $30 for Mobile Hotspot and decided to test out whether it is a legitimate in home replacement.

It is. Entirely. It plays games flawlessly, just as well as any decent land based ISP. Don't ever seem to be throttled either, I use about 100GB per month and never notice my connection being slowed.

While I am going to switch over to land based high speed this weekend, simply because I am getting tired of relying on my phone for internet; the experiment went well. Verizon 4g is a worthy replacement for land based connections if you are willing to deal with the hassle of having it on your phone.

Unfortunately, for most people it is impossible - because for most people they are capped at a paltry 5GB per month now that Verizon ditched unlimited data.
---
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4062/lightningrocks.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczWtQvMKps&feature=endscreen&NR=1
#3CloudisthebestPosted 3/13/2012 9:54:09 PM(edited)
ishdante posted...
I do. Moved into a new place a few months ago, was grandfathered into unlimited data at Verizon so I dropped the $30 for Mobile Hotspot and decided to test out whether it is a legitimate in home replacement.

It is. Entirely. It plays games flawlessly, just as well as any decent land based ISP. Don't ever seem to be throttled either, I use about 100GB per month and never notice my connection being slowed.

While I am going to switch over to land based high speed this weekend, simply because I am getting tired of relying on my phone for internet; the experiment went well. Verizon 4g is a worthy replacement for land based connections if you are willing to deal with the hassle of having it on your phone.

Unfortunately, for most people it is impossible - because for most people they are capped at a paltry 5GB per month now that Verizon ditched unlimited data.

I'm really jealous. I've had a Galaxy Nexus since Thu and 4G sucks- half the time it's disconnected, I can't make phone calls or send text messages. After talking to a few different people, they said that it really depends on the battery life (which also is very bad but I don't care that much) and the lower the battery is, the worse the connection is. I have no clue why battery life would affect signal, but that's what they say. I also have unlimited data since I've been with Verizon for over a year and a half.
---
'03 Mustang GT- Flowmaster exhaust, Maximum Motorsports subframe connectors, strut tower brace, k-member brace...
PSN: officersweetpant
#4CloudisthebestPosted 3/13/2012 9:58:53 PM
Gotta say, I used my Droid X with 3G as a hotspot, it sucked for gaming.
---
'03 Mustang GT- Flowmaster exhaust, Maximum Motorsports subframe connectors, strut tower brace, k-member brace...
PSN: officersweetpant
#5ZeusthagodPosted 3/13/2012 10:01:08 PM
Not Verizon, but last year when I was with T-Mobile I used the 4G hotspot capability from my phone to play CoD online because my home internet was down. I assume it's about the same or better with Verizon 4G LTE.

It ran pretty smooth but the problem is that it's hard to tell how much data you're actually using. Don't want to hit the 5GB throttling cap.
---
A wise man told me "don't argue with fools"
#6Roco32373(Topic Creator)Posted 3/14/2012 10:22:08 AM(edited)
So 4g thru a mobile hotspot is as good as a wired connection? AT&T U-Verse tells me I can get download speeds of up to 20 Mbps. My 4g gets about 5 Mbps. Does it matter that much (the 15 Mbps descrepency)?
#7Roco32373(Topic Creator)Posted 3/14/2012 10:20:57 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8MarioParty2Posted 3/14/2012 10:24:09 AM
Anyone use their 4G phone for their computers? I'm thinking about doing it because my WiFi here sucks -_-

I do have unlimited.
---
PSN- Lamburghini89 GT-FerrariParadise
#9poopninjamvc3mkPosted 3/14/2012 10:33:14 AM
Roco32373 posted...
So 4g thru a mobile hotspot is as good as a wired connection? AT&T U-Verse tells me I can get download speeds of up to 20 Mbps. My 4g gets about 5 Mbps. Does it matter that much (the 15 Mbps descrepency)?

Yes it matters 4G could never stack up to a true internet connection especially 20mbps vs 5 mbps. You also need to have a good upload speed too which 4g also doesn't have.
---
WelcometoPlaystation where daplayersplay,and360sredring likeeveryday. Bigfeatures hitexclusives,seehaterstrollin,and CODdon'tstoptill8indamorning.-Starbucks_Fan
#10dre1888Posted 3/14/2012 11:53:41 AM
Good to know