This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A comprehensive look into PS3 exclusives vs 360 exclusives

#1lostkiwiPosted 3/21/2012 10:47:56 PM
First of all, none of the following information contains any of my opinion, it is based on specific statistical profiling of metacritic data. Therefore feel free to comment, however please do not use this as an opportunity to attack me directly.

I have taken some time (it's a slow day) to do statistical analysis of PS3 vs 360 exclusives, based on metacritic profiling. First of all, the ground rules:

1) I used this link to identify the exclusives:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_exclusives_(seventh_generation)

It was the most comprehensive list that I could find. It does not include XBLA/PSN titles, nor does it include HD Collections, such as the ICO collection. I have stayed true to this list throughout, even if there were areas where I thought there were inconsistencies.

2) Only those with recognised metacritic scores were considered.

That generally means that games that did not have an English release, those that were extremely obscure, or obviously those that haven't been released were not included in the calculations.

I would also like to point out that I had no idea what the results would be until I sorted the list in Excel.

First of all, and this was a genuine surprise, the XBOX 360 had more exclusives, coming in at 89 compared to 72 on the PS3.

However, there was a noticeable difference between the average score of those games, as shown below:

- Average Score of PS3 Exclusives = 73.2% (across 72 titles)
- Average Score of 360 Exclusives = 67.6% (across 89 titles)

There was also a noticeable difference between the metacritic grouping:

Of the 72 exclusives on the PS3:
- 44 (61%) fell into the 'Good' Category
- 24 (33%) fell into the 'Average' Category
- 4 (6%) fell into the 'Poor' Category

and Of the 89 exclusives on the 360:
- 33 (37%) fell into the 'Good' Category
- 40 (45%) fell into the 'Average' Category
- 16 (18%) fell into the 'Poor' Category
---
Please support the gaming industry that both you and I love by choosing to play your games legally.
#2lostkiwi(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2012 10:49:42 PM(edited)
Next, I looked at the top 25 titles across both consoles, which is as follows (where PS3 is marked in bold and the 360 is marked in italic

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 96%
LittleBigPlanet - 95%
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - 94%
Halo 3 - 94%
Gears of War 2 - 93%
God of War 3 - 92%
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - 92%
Forza Motorsport 3 - 92%
Killzone 2 - 91%
LittleBigPlanet 2 - 91%
Forza Motorsport 4 - 91%
Gears of War 3 - 91%
Halo: Reach - 91%
Forza Motorsport 2 - 90%
Demon's Souls - 89%
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction - 89%
Fable II - 89%
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - 88%
Project Gotham Racing 3 - 88%
Heavy Rain - 87%
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time - 87%
Resistance 2 - 87%
Wipeout HD - 87%
Resistance: Fall of Man - 86%
Valkyria Chronicles - 86%

In terms of the upper end, the PS3 has 16 titles in the top 25, where as the 360 has 9

There wasn't much in the average score of the top 10 PS3 games vs the top 10 360 games, with the PS3 coming in at 91.7% compared to 90.5% on the XBOX

Finally, for interest sake, I looked at the opposite end of the list, which came out like this:

Import Tuner Challenge - 54%
Lair - 53%
PlayStation Move Heroes - 53%
Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 - 53%
Kinect Joy Ride - 52%
Fuzion Frenzy 2 - 49%
Over G Fighters - 49%
Hole in the Wall - 47%
Sonic Free Riders - 47%
Operation Darkness - 46%
Samurai Shodown: Sen - 46%
Zoids Assault - 46%
Hyperdimension Neptunia - 45%
Ninety-Nine Nights II - 45%
Last Rebellion - 44%
Ape Escape - 43%
America's Army: True Soldiers - 43%
MotionSports - 40%
Naval Assault: The Killing Tide - 40%
OneChanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad - 39%
Kengo: Legend of the 9 - 38%
Kung Fu Rider - 36%
Bomberman: Act Zero - 34%
Game Party: In Motion - 33%
MorphX - 33%

The 360 had the dubious honour of having 19 out of the 25 worst reviewed exclusives.

I still have all of this information in front of me if anyone wants to know anything else
---
Please support the gaming industry that both you and I love by choosing to play your games legally.
#3Mindwipe77Posted 3/21/2012 10:58:43 PM
too much free time
---
Now Playing-Tales of Graces F-ps3 DC Universe-ps3
Buying next-Ninja Gaiden 3-ps3 Kid Icarus:UR-3ds
#4lostkiwi(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2012 11:00:22 PM
Mindwipe77 posted...
too much free time

Indeed. I won't dispute that.
---
#5LimblessQuasarPosted 3/21/2012 11:01:12 PM
Interesting. The 360 having more exclusives is no surprise to me. But I'd be interested in how the Wii would compare, given the consensus that Nintendo's games have apparently been very good in spite of the lackluster console. Not that you have to do that :)
---
Its only like 70 years away. By then, ill just be hitting my stride. Like the PS3. - Skul_
#6ocelot562Posted 3/21/2012 11:02:38 PM
Random fact fanboys will eat up. Good work.
---
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
W. C. Fields
#7DarthFrozanousPosted 3/21/2012 11:05:47 PM
Very informative, I finally decided through reading this article that I'm selling my 360, using the $$ to help fund me a Ps3
#8lostkiwi(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2012 11:06:12 PM
LimblessQuasar posted...
Interesting. The 360 having more exclusives is no surprise to me. But I'd be interested in how the Wii would compare, given the consensus that Nintendo's games have apparently been very good in spite of the lackluster console. Not that you have to do that :)

Well. as it happens the WII games were listed in that link I used as well (It's in the first post).

Even without filtering on the metacritic score, the 360 comes out on top over the WII in terms of the number of exclusives, with the WII only having 64. That too is a surprise, I would have though that it would have lead in terms of overall exclusives, where as it's actually lagging behind both Sony and Microsoft.
---
#9R0ttedHorrorPosted 3/21/2012 11:06:31 PM
wtf is Kung Fu Rider?
---
hidden camera or hidden agenda?
#10lostkiwi(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2012 11:11:25 PM
R0ttedHorror posted...
wtf is Kung Fu Rider?

It was one of the first PS Move games to be released, and it looked like utter garbage. From what I read, it definitely deserved that score.

It's actually one of the few I recognise from that list, most of those games I've never heard of.
---