This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I need a good RPG... Resonance of Fate or Nier?

#1cincyguitarheroPosted 7/8/2011 8:09:28 PM
Seriously, i'm in need of a good RPG to take me away from FPS's for a few weeks. Last RPG i've played was FF13. And yes, i'm one of those "old-school JRPG lovers who longs for games of PS1/PS2 era quality". They just haven't been the same IMO, and I stress IMO. Not trying to start flame wars here, but that's what I grew up on. NES, Final Fantasy was my first RPG ever, and that was 20 years ago. Loved RPG's since.

Back to topic, i've been hearing great things about both games, now I want some FAQ'ers opinions. Just which you prefer and a reason why. Also, if you have other recommendations, leave them as well. This gen games only, please.
---
PROUD SoFA Metalhead, rager, and teabagger. OPEN WIDE!
What would YOU do with a plane ticket? Nothing, obviously.
#2CKnightPosted 7/8/2011 8:16:49 PM
Both games are good but between the 2 I liked RoF more, mainly because of its battle system. The acrobatics, gunplay with cinematic angles never got boring for me.

Nier has a better story though, RoF almost feel like Im playing through episodes and not one huge story.

Too bad Lost Odyssey isnt on PS3 though, if your old school with RPGs you cant go wrong with LO.
#3Justice98405Posted 7/8/2011 8:25:50 PM
I have both (on my 360) and they're both good games, but they're both pretty polarizing, you are either gonna like 'em, or not at all, most likely.
Resonance of Fate has a VERY interesting combat system, that's a bit much to get used to, but once you do, and if you like it, it's a fun game. Fun, likable characters and a simplistic/non-existant story keeps this game about grinding and battles, so if you like that stuff, look into this game more.
Nier is a tough one. It got hammered a lot in the reviews, and I passed on it, only because a site had it REALLY cheap did I bother to get it (same with Deadly Premonition, but that's another story) and I'm glad that I did. Turns out I'm actually liking Nier so far, and I'm about 10 hours into it, doing all the sidequests possible as they come up. It's an action-RPG, it's got interesting characters, though you don't always know what's going on (in typical JRPG fashion), and while the visuals are not amazing, they get the job done. So far the voice acting is decent-to-good and the story, what has been revealed so far, is at least interesting enough to have my attention.
So yeah, look into the games more, look up gameplay footage if you can, and make you choice as informed as you can.
---
To the mattresses.
PSN: Justice_98405, Xbox Live: Justice98405
#4LilFunnyCatPosted 7/8/2011 8:28:11 PM
Do. Not. Buy. Nier.
#5antoinejonesPosted 7/8/2011 8:34:12 PM
white knight chronicles 2.. out now in japan and europe out in Us in september.. it comes with wkc1 on the disc.. wkc1 takes 20 hours to beat and is stupidly easy.. while WKC2 is another 20 hours but has the difficulty ramped up to a better level (i.e you will die but not excessively.. just enough where theres a challenge involved instead of being stupidly easy where you could just mash x all day and not even try like on wkc1)

and theres an online mode which plays more like phatasy star online/universe/portable or monster hunter which has text chat and voice chat that will consume another 500+ hours if you try to reach highest guild rank and do everything plus get platinum (took me 1126 hours to platinum wkc1) so thatll keep you away from FPSs for months instead of weeks
---
My first time and day in Jueno and the first 6 hours of it is spent staring at a chocobo's butt.
#6D_I3igI3ossPosted 7/8/2011 8:37:42 PM
Buy Nier, I just played some awesome part and for no reason whatsoever I woke up my nephew at 3 in the morning, for no damn reason. The game just leaves you like :O in multiple places. The music is pretty good to, and I never care for the soundtrack except for One-Winged Angel and that one MGS3 song.
#7SODISPosted 7/8/2011 8:43:47 PM
Hmm...

If you want simplified gameplay to enjoy and immerse yourself in the story, music, and characters: get NIER. If you want to focus more on building basic skills to perform advanced maneuvers, get NIER. If Zelda was appealing to you, get NIER.

If you want turn-based blended with real-time moments: get RoF. If you want a game that's highly customizable down to the clothing, get RoF. If you enjoy Nolan North's voice acting, get RoF. If a steampunk-like universe suits you, get RoF.

Hopefully this helps. Personally I'd get NIER cause I'm such a fan of the game, but nothing's wrong with RoF either. Just depends on what type of gameplay you'd prefer. Complex vs. Simplified.
---
NIER
#8stunSEEDPosted 7/8/2011 10:21:09 PM
Not sure on the other but Nier is a no-brainer, especially considering the price you can get it at now. Definitely a great "time passer".
---
"These pretzels are making me thirsty"
#9SaQu1BPosted 7/8/2011 10:58:08 PM(edited)
Nier.

I am a bit biased, I haven't played Resonance of Fate, but I am really enjoying Nier right now. I hear RoF has a complex battle system, but its fun. Play Nier for the story, RoF for the battles.
#10Seifer_usPosted 7/8/2011 11:11:33 PM
I'm gonna' agree with getting Nier. I just got it in the mail a couple days ago.

The first day, I felt like I got what all the reviewers were talking about and I felt kind of disappointed with my purchase. The second day, I decided I'd just try to play it some more and see if I liked it better...

Maybe I was just in a funky mood that first day, but after I picked it back up I just couldn't put it down! I've been playing like crazy all day today and I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying myself.

I normally HATE fetch quests. A friend tried to get me to play WoW several years ago, and when all there was for me to do at the beginning of the game was to go kill enemies and get pelts or whatever, I was very underwhelmed. "Why am I even doing this?" I wondered.

It's odd then that the quests in Nier actually feel rewarding to me. They just fit better in the context of the world and the story. It makes sense that you'd be doing some of these things to help provide for your daughter and help the townsfolk. Plus they're completely optional for the most part.

I'm absolutely amazed at how much fun I'm having with this game. I'm so glad I listened to the people on this forum and picked it up. It's well worth it.

Have to admit, I take a little too much pleasure in slaughtering sheep, though...
---
PSN ID: Shawnji
SPELUNKER HD deserves your hard-earned cash! Buy it now on the store!